Author Topic: The Party of Reagan Is No More  (Read 11524 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: The Party of Reagan Is No More
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2016, 04:19:05 am »
Populism is a vehicle, what resonates with the people. We simply need to take conservative principles and articulate them to the masses. That's something Reagan did that conservatives simply don't do anymore.

You're right about Reagan, but he (and those conservatives) drew a line between articulating first principles to the masses and descending into raw, naked populism and mob will.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2016, 04:24:58 am »
You're right about Reagan, but he (and those conservatives) drew a line between articulating first principles to the masses and descending into raw, naked populism and mob will.

True, we need to keep the populism to marketing the message, not the policy positions.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2016, 05:19:56 am »
Populism is a vehicle, what resonates with the people. We simply need to take conservative principles and articulate them to the masses. That's something Reagan did that conservatives simply don't do anymore.

Want to look into dead eyes? As a 20 or 30 something to explains the benefits of conservatism.

Ask Sen. Cruz to do it. He will give a sermon lecture that will be captivating, to about 20% of the electorate.

He has worked in government all his adult life. Mr. outsider, with his Goldman Sachs CRF wife, and his GOPe endorsements.

He is agreed to be the best that conservatism has. Perry and Walker, those with records, got passed over to get to Cruz.

Color me disappointed and cynical. So why not populism?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2016, 05:24:26 am »
Want to look into dead eyes? As a 20 or 30 something to explains the benefits of conservatism.

Ask Sen. Cruz to do it. He will give a sermon lecture that will be captivating, to about 20% of the electorate.

He has worked in government all his adult life. Mr. outsider, with his Goldman Sachs CRF wife, and his GOPe endorsements.

He is agreed to be the best that conservatism has. Perry and Walker, those with records, got passed over to get to Cruz.

Color me disappointed and cynical. So why not populism?

Because populism without principle or policy is just ADD sloganeering.  Not everybody is a 20 or 30 something who wants simple platitudes with alot of comic book bing! bang! pow! zang! We have a leviathan that if we don't unravel carefully, the whole thing could come crashing down.

It's easy to  campaign, it's hard to govern.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:25:24 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2016, 12:23:54 pm »
Because populism without principle or policy is just ADD sloganeering.  Not everybody is a 20 or 30 something who wants simple platitudes with alot of comic book bing! bang! pow! zang! We have a leviathan that if we don't unravel carefully, the whole thing could come crashing down.

:word:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

A-Lert

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2016, 07:51:38 pm »

Campaigning is not easy. It is highly stressful, tiring and uncomfortable. That could be why there are so few people willing to run for elected office.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2016, 04:39:38 am »
Campaigning is not easy. It is highly stressful, tiring and uncomfortable. That could be why there are so few people willing to run for elected office.

I'll take campaigning to governing any day of the week.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2016, 05:04:06 am »
I'll take campaigning to governing any day of the week.

Knock yourself out.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2016, 05:14:35 am »
Knock yourself out.

Already done it son, for nearly two decades. Campaigns, issue activism, party work.  I know a good chunk of the legislators in my state personally. Compared to the sacrifice it takes to spend months at the capital every year, campaigning is easy.

Your mouth is writing checks your butt can't cash.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2016, 05:36:07 am »
Compared to the sacrifice it takes to spend months at the capital every year, campaigning is easy.

Lest we forget who gets sacrificed with them spending months in the capitals (or the Capitol, and the White House) every year---us.

I long for the day when we get a government that intends to everything except "govern." We've been governed to effing
death for decades.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

A-Lert

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2016, 05:37:14 am »

Already done it son, for nearly two decades. Campaigns, issue activism, party work.  I know a good chunk of the legislators in my state personally. Compared to the sacrifice it takes to spend months at the capital every year, campaigning is easy.

Your mouth is writing checks your butt can't cash.

I haven't used my mouth.  I'm not your son and you aren't the only person who knows a good chunk  legislators. I'm not referring to local or state legislators. Campaigning for 18 months,  traveling from town to town, eating out constantly, sleeping in a different bed every night, shaking hands and having to act like you are fond of people and places you aren't, isn't easy. When in D.C. one gets to stay in the same place, sleep in the same bed every night and fix one's own meals if so chosen. Ever see anybody poorer when they leave Congress than when they were elected or appointed? The members sure do fight hard to remain in office.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2016, 05:42:06 am »
Lest we forget who gets sacrificed with them spending months in the capitals (or the Capitol, and the White House) every year---us.

I long for the day when we get a government that intends to everything except "govern." We've been governed to effing
death for decades.

I'm thinking more at the state level where they tend to be citizen legislators than the permanent fixtures we see in DC. The per diems rarely cover the expenses, and the time away from family is a strain.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2016, 05:51:33 am »
I'm thinking more at the state level where they tend to be citizen legislators than the permanent fixtures we see in DC. The per diems rarely cover the expenses, and the time away from family is a strain.

Probably depends on which state. I've lived in several in which the "citizen legislators" and governors did
dead-on impressions of the racketeers on Crapola Hill and the White House.

Let's face it---government is the nation's largest organised crime family.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2016, 05:56:13 am »
I haven't used my mouth.  I'm not your son and you aren't the only person who knows a good chunk  legislators. I'm not referring to local or state legislators. Campaigning for 18 months,  traveling from town to town, eating out constantly, sleeping in a different bed every night, shaking hands and having to act like you are fond of people and places you aren't, isn't easy. When in D.C. one gets to stay in the same place, sleep in the same bed every night and fix one's own meals if so chosen. Ever see anybody poorer when they leave Congress than when they were elected or appointed? The members sure do fight hard to remain in office.

Please. You don't even know what you're talking about. If you did you wouldn't have wrote what you wrote, because what you portray is not accurate. I've worked elections from city to congressional level, it simply isn't like that.

Furthermore there are only state legislators and federal ones. Since you ruled out state ones, and state the DC ones stay in the same place, who exactly are you referring to? Presidential candidates? Anyone who thinks campaigning for President is harder than actually being the leader of the free world is delusional to the basic facts of reality.

You know not of what you speak but think you're going bluff and bully thru with some Trumpkin chest thumping. It's like trying to sound the expert on physics and using terms like 'flux capacitor'.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2016, 06:02:33 am »

I've never felt sorry for citizen legislators. Granted, it can be a strain, but most aren't "normal" working people and most only spend 90-120 days in session.  Compared to members of our military, they have a cake walk.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2016, 06:04:47 am »

You know not of what you speak but think you're going bluff and bully thru with some Trumpkin chest thumping. It's like trying to sound the expert on physics and using terms like 'flux capacitor'.

That's damn funny.

A-Lert

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2016, 06:10:58 am »
Please. You don't even know what you're talking about. If you did you wouldn't have wrote what you wrote, because what you portray is not accurate. I've worked elections from city to congressional level, it simply isn't like that.

Furthermore there are only state legislators and federal ones. Since you ruled out state ones, and state the DC ones stay in the same place, who exactly are you referring to? Presidential candidates? Anyone who thinks campaigning for President is harder than actually being the leader of the free world is delusional to the basic facts of reality.

Assemblyman, representative, councilman, alderman, lawmaker,  legislator are synonymous.

The only poster bullying or attempting to intimidate is you.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2016, 06:14:25 am »
I've never felt sorry for citizen legislators. Granted, it can be a strain, but most aren't "normal" working people and most only spend 90-120 days in session.  Compared to members of our military, they have a cake walk.

Well we all have it easy compared to members of the military, so chuck aside that statement as a stupid obfuscation. Which makes me wonder what we're even talking about now since your original premise is that campaigning is hard, harder than governing. Apparently you're losing the argument and have turned deflectors on full. But could we please stay on topic?

And alot citizen legislators, and even a fair number of congress people, are normal. Doctors, accountants, farmers, business people, mothers, fathers - all who have full time lives and families and do their elected duty as well.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2016, 06:15:39 am »
Assemblyman, representative, councilman, alderman, lawmaker,  legislator are synonymous.

The only poster bullying or attempting to intimidate is you.

Nope, not they're not, not even close. You don't even know how basic government works.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2016, 06:20:41 am »
Well we all have it easy compared to members of the military, so chuck aside that statement as a stupid obfuscation. Which makes me wonder what we're even talking about now since your original premise is that campaigning is hard, harder than governing. Apparently you're losing the argument and have turned deflectors on full. But could we please stay on topic?

And alot citizen legislators, and even a fair number of congress people, are normal. Doctors, accountants, farmers, business people, mothers, fathers - all who have full time lives and families and do their elected duty as well.

Normal working people can't take 90 -120 days off work. Even you should know that. Your examples and comments make me wonder if you know what you're talking about. It's like you trying to sound the expert on physics and using terms like 'flux capacitor'. :silly:

A-Lert

« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2016, 06:24:17 am »
Nope, not they're not, not even close. You don't even know how basic government works.

So now you are claiming to be more knowledgeable than  Mirriam-Webster  and Thesaurus. :thud: :seeya:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:25:33 am by A-Lert »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2016, 06:41:56 am »
Normal working people can't take 90 -120 days off work. Even you should know that. Your examples and comments make me wonder if you know what you're talking about. It's like you trying to sound the expert on physics and using terms like 'flux capacitor'. :silly:

BWAHAHAHA! Because you say so you can back it up with words strung in clever little arrangements with jr. high level skill?

Let me list some of our political officials and what they do:

Our US Senator Chuck Grassley - farmer
Our other US Senator and former state senator Joni Ernst - Farmer.
My state legislator Dave Heaton - ran a restaurant.
Recently retired state senator Sandy Greiner - farmer
State senator Amy Sinclair - business owner and full time mom
State rep Dawn Pettingill - single mom and educator
State senator Mike Brietbart - small business owner
State Rep Joel Fry - farmer, pastor, teacher
State Rep Jake Highfill - Grocery store manager
State Rep Greg Heartsill - computer systems tech
State Rep Jarad Klein - farmer
State Rep Linda Miller - registered nurse
State Sen Bill Dix - farmer

You can read the rest at

http://www.iowahouserepublicans.com/members/
http://www.iowasenaterepublicans.com/senators/

There are a few lawyers there, but most are common working people.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2016, 06:45:06 am »
So now you are claiming to be more knowledgeable than  Mirriam-Webster  and Thesaurus. :thud: :seeya:

BWHAHAHAHA! You've said nothing and backed it up with nothing, and somehow claimed you've said something that you have knowledge of.

You do understand that city councils  and county supervisors usually meet between once a week and once a month, whereas legislators are in session for months at a time?

There is a huge difference between the schedules of a city our county govt v. the state or federal govt. But please, feel free to remain in your ignorance.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2016, 06:48:34 am »
No, they aren't normal. A factory worker, a store clerk, truck driver, cop, bus driver, custodian, service worker, etc., etc., etc.  can't take 90-120 days off and expect to have a job when the session ends.

A-Lert

« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2016, 06:51:56 am »
BWHAHAHAHA! You've said nothing and backed it up with nothing, and somehow claimed you've said something that you have knowledge of.

You do understand that city councils  and county supervisors usually meet between once a week and once a month, whereas legislators are in session for months at a time?

There is a huge difference between the schedules of a city our county govt v. the state or federal govt. But please, feel free to remain in your ignorance.

Schedules have absolutely nothing to do with the synonyms listed in Mirriam -Webster and Thesaurus.