Author Topic: The Party of Reagan Is No More  (Read 11512 times)

Offline MACVSOG68

Re: The Party of Reagan Is No More
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 02:58:36 am »
Military Assistance Comand Vietnam, Special Operations Group,  68!  NOT a millennial! Far from it!

You're right, no millennial me.  Could use some of those dumb younger days back.   :laugh:   The SOG actually stands for Studies and Observations Group,  though I don't recall any studies.  It preceded the Special Operations Command formed a few years later.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MOD3

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 02:58:49 am »
Thread back on track.  Thanks everyone.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 02:59:51 am »
You're right, no millennial me.  Could use some of those dumb younger days back.   :laugh:   The SOG actually stands for Studies and Observations Group,  though I don't recall any studies.  It preceded the Special Operations Command formed a few years later.

You're still sharp enough; as a tack.  And no, I'm not sucking up.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 03:02:25 am »
Populism is not what the Framers envisioned.  We need to articulate the principles this country was founded upon.  Sell them to a new generation.  It is important.  We must make them understand, not sellout to their uninformed whims just to be popular.   Otherwise, there is nothing to conserve and the party of Reagan really is no more.

Post of the month if not the year!

BRAVO!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 03:05:51 am »

Actually there was a Special Operations Group from the very beginning but you are right about the MACV group coming later. After I was long gone in fact.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:06:23 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 03:07:56 am »
Perhaps. But none of those DID say it and you did!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 03:13:21 am »
Populism is not what the Framers envisioned.  We need to articulate the principles this country was founded upon.  Sell them to a new generation.  It is important.  We must make them understand, not sellout to their uninformed whims just to be popular.   Otherwise, there is nothing to conserve and the party of Reagan really is no more.

I agree we don't need a Trump style populism, though like a blind squirrel he's found a few nuts on the trail. Still, we live in populist times, but I agree that 'selling it to a new generation' is the better way to say it.

The principles don't need to change, but the approach and style of the message does. We don't connect to the LIV's like Reagan did anymore.
The Republic is lost.

HonestJohn

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 03:16:56 am »
It belies a truth to say that the party of reagan is no more: the people the GOP needs to vote have no concept of reagan. I barely remember the guy myself, was 4 when he was inaugurated, I just remember things like the challenger etc.

When I see GOP candidates arguing over which one emulates Reagan I can picture millennials and younger Gen-xers, like me but uninformed, scratching their head. Millennials have no concept of reagan, all they know about the 1980's is what their parents or professors or teachers have told them about it.

It's just another way the conservative movement is out of touch and lives in it's own bubble. Trump is another symptom, although I have seen a lot of younger people at his rallies.

Gen X'ers grew up with Reagan and were either in high school or college (or else just starting their first jobs) when Bush I took office.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:17:32 am by HonestJohn »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 12:07:59 pm »
I saw this Time Magazine cover at the pharmacy tonight and I immediately felt a deep pain inside. I had a lump in my throat, seriously. Reality has set in. One man who is like no candidate that ever ran, has chiseled the epithet R.I.P GOP in stone that could very well last for eternity. Will we ever see a scene like what is on this cover again? Is the Party now truly divided, with Trump Supporters and those of us that can't support him separated forever? Pray for America. Pray for healing of this Great Nation, no matter what happens in November.

Great post! For quite some time, I believed that the GOP lost its way. I was very hopeful a couple of months ago when 17 candidates emerged proclaiming they were running for president in the Republican party.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think a candidate would be put into place to derail the election process and act as a siphon for the DEMS nor did I ever think that their would be a candidate so vulgar.  Trump has brought the GOP to a new low and not only is the Party further divided, but in shameful shambles. IF the DEMS win the White House not only is our party gone, but so is our Country and its Constitution.

"Pray for America. Pray for healing of this Great Nation, no matter what happens in November."    :amen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 12:45:18 pm »
You're still sharp enough; as a tack.  And no, I'm not sucking up.

Well some days :beer: a quickly dulling tack.  But thanks. 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2016, 01:00:03 pm »
Actually there was a Special Operations Group from the very beginning but you are right about the MACV group coming later. After I was long gone in fact.

Who were you with then Bigun?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 01:13:05 pm »
Who were you with then Bigun?

STRATCOM Attached to 5TH SFG. CRYPTO guy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:13:27 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 01:17:26 pm »
At the risk of repeating myself, thank you to those who served. Gratitude.
 :patriot:
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2016, 01:27:30 pm »

Thank you!  I think most of us would do it all over again if it became necessary!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2016, 01:33:22 pm »

Yes Thank You.  U.S. Navy USS Saratoga CV 60 Aviation Ordnanceman 1977-1981. But my service could not hold a candle to my dad's service aboard the battleship USS Mississippi during WWII, and the two kamikaze hits it took, and a seperate explosion in one of its 14in gun turrets.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2016, 01:40:07 pm »
Gentlemen - at the risk of embarrassing some of you, I don't see the party of Reagan as being no more.

You're still right here.   :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 01:44:43 pm »
Yes Thank You.  U.S. Navy USS Saratoga CV 60 Aviation Ordnanceman 1977-1981. But my service could not hold a candle to my dad's service aboard the battleship USS Mississippi during WWII, and the two kamikaze hits it took, and a seperate explosion in one of its 14in gun turrets.

Ain't that the truth! My dad spent over two years island hoping in the South Pacific during WWII.  What I did was a cake walk compared to that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 01:47:17 pm »
Gentlemen - at the risk of embarrassing some of you, I don't see the party of Reagan as being no more.

We each feel like the last passenger pigeon, though.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2016, 01:49:39 pm »
What WeirdTF said just below your question.  Plus Reagan was well read.  He understood what the Framers set up for us and he was very principled about keeping it.  Like the Framers said, they gave us "a republic, if you can keep it.".....with inalienable rights given to us by God and with a Judeo-Christian foundation.  Liberty under law, belonging to we the people.  No cult of personalities.  No king.  The were anti-tyranny, pro separation of powers with a balance of that power between 3 co-equal branches..., limited government, etc.

That's what I mean.  What I do not mean is a strongman Donald Duck to save us from all our perceived evils.  I do not mean the leftist ideal of bigger and bigger tyrannical government under a "living constitution" where the judges get to amend the constitution according to their likes and dislikes rather than we the people doing it the Constitutional way.  IOW, not judicial tyranny.  Not executive tyranny.  Not Washington tyranny.

Thanks.  I didn't ask the question for no reason.  For years I've seen many posters talking about Reagan style conservatism or constitutional conservatism, and unfortunately they didn't all come out the same.  I will always have an appreciation for Reagan who followed through on his goal of bringing down the Soviet Union.  It was his leadership at a time when America was deep in a malaise over the economy, Iran, and general disgust with the outgoing Carter Administration.

He was not a fiscal conservative by any means and started a trend that has continued to this day of borrow now pay later.  He didn't shrink the government; he compromised with Congress, and signed the 1986 immigration bill that led to the immigration debates we've had for the past ten years.  As he later said, he kept the right wing at bay, those who considered themselves the true conservatives. 

In spite of all of it though he set an example for leaders that followed, though none have met the standard, save for Bush 43 in the aftermath of 9/11.  He wasn't perfect by any means, but there's a reason the candidates of today try (without success) to compare themselves to him.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2016, 01:53:23 pm »
Thank you!  I think most of us would do it all over again if it became necessary!  :beer:

Very true.  Volunteered after 9/11 but at that time they didn't take any retirees. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »
We each feel like the last passenger pigeon, though.

Yeah! Pretty much!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2016, 02:09:43 pm »
Thanks.  I didn't ask the question for no reason.  For years I've seen many posters talking about Reagan style conservatism or constitutional conservatism, and unfortunately they didn't all come out the same.  I will always have an appreciation for Reagan who followed through on his goal of bringing down the Soviet Union.  It was his leadership at a time when America was deep in a malaise over the economy, Iran, and general disgust with the outgoing Carter Administration.

He was not a fiscal conservative by any means and started a trend that has continued to this day of borrow now pay later.  He didn't shrink the government; he compromised with Congress, and signed the 1986 immigration bill that led to the immigration debates we've had for the past ten years.  As he later said, he kept the right wing at bay, those who considered themselves the true conservatives. 

In spite of all of it though he set an example for leaders that followed, though none have met the standard, save for Bush 43 in the aftermath of 9/11.  He wasn't perfect by any means, but there's a reason the candidates of today try (without success) to compare themselves to him.

Mac, you did a great job of explaining my ambivalence towards RR.  I did love his style, his leadership ability, and his respect for the job.  He and Nancy made a great team in the best traditions of the American presidency. 

But, if we, each of us, do not own what we produce, we don't have any real freedom.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2016, 03:54:28 pm »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2016, 03:55:40 pm »

:beer:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2016, 03:57:48 pm »
I'd like to see the ridiculous hawkish foreign policy side of Reaganism die, frankly. THe earlier debates were so ridiculous, Carly Fiorina sounded like she was ready to nuke Russia the next day, and Chris Christie was no better. I heard a lot of millenials mention that this makes the GOP seem like crazies and they're right.