Author Topic: Thomas Sowell: Voting at a Crossroads (the March 15 primaries)  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Thomas Sowell: Voting at a Crossroads (the March 15 primaries)
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 12:39:49 am »
So can you explain what is or is not worshipful of the Donald?

Don't need to.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

A-Lert

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 12:47:33 am »
Do I have to explain the difference between things and human beings? Maybe you could ponder it a while.

You didn't answer the question. I'll  simplify for you. How can an inanimate object be worshipful of the Donald?

If you can answer, maybe you could provide examples. Thank you in advance.

A-Lert

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 12:50:12 am »
Don't need to.

Indeed you don't. I didn't expect that you would, but I always give people an opportunity to explain if I have misinterpreted what has been posted.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 01:42:48 am »
So can you explain what is or is not worshipful of the Donald?

Yes! The article that is the subject of this thread is not worshipful of the Donald and was attacked unmercifully by Trump supporters here simply because it isn't.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

A-Lert

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 02:05:25 am »
Yes! The article that is the subject of this thread is not worshipful of the Donald and was attacked unmercifully by Trump supporters here simply because it isn't.

Maybe you would have been better understood if you had stated that the article is very critical of Trump. I still don't get the worshipful reference. I haven't found Trump supporters to be reverent or adoring. They see him as a doer, energetic   and an accomplished leader. Everything the present GOP is lacking.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 02:14:46 am »
Maybe you would have been better understood if you had stated that the article is very critical of Trump.[/quote ]

Maybe you should take a course in reading comprehension.

I still don't get the worshipful reference. I haven't found Trump supporters to be reverent or adoring. They see him as a doer, energetic   and an accomplished leader. Everything the present GOP is lacking.

Based on what exactly?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:16:02 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

A-Lert

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 03:22:03 am »
Maybe you should take a course in reading comprehension.

Based on what exactly?

My reading comprehension isn't the problem. It's yours. Your word selection could use improvement also.

worshipful
/ˈwɜːʃɪpfʊl/
adjective
feeling or showing reverence or adoration

I can explain it, but I can't make you understand it.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:37 am »

Your accusation that people who support Trump worship him is disgusting. I'm a Christian and I take offense.  I believe many others do also.

If the shoe fits...

Bill Cipher

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 04:23:54 am »
Maybe you would have been better understood if you had stated that the article is very critical of Trump. I still don't get the worshipful reference. I haven't found Trump supporters to be reverent or adoring. They see him as a doer, energetic   and an accomplished leader. Everything the present GOP is lacking.

Wow.  Somebody who refuses, point blank, to even acknowledge, let alone address, the blatant inconsistencies in his hero is worshiping that person.  To-date no trumpette has acknowledged, let alone addressed, Trump's manifold inconsistencies.  Instead, anyone who points up these inconsistencies is attacked and smeared.

Cult of personality.

A-Lert

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2016, 04:31:10 am »
Wow.  Somebody who refuses, point blank, to even acknowledge, let alone address, the blatant inconsistencies in his hero is worshiping that person.  To-date no trumpette has acknowledged, let alone addressed, Trump's manifold inconsistencies.  Instead, anyone who points up these inconsistencies is attacked and smeared.

Cult of personality.

Take some antacids before the bile eats a hole in your gut.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2016, 04:40:25 am »

There's no sense in attacking the messenger just because you can't deal with the message.  Relax.  After all, that's what a cult of personality is supposed to do for you.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2016, 04:43:50 am »

The lad is not bitter. He's just consumed by a gnawing hate eating away his gut until he can taste the bile in his mouth. Well, I guess he is a little bitter. Either that or he's coming down with something

A-Lert

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2016, 04:47:20 am »
There's no sense in attacking the messenger just because you can't deal with the message.  Relax.  After all, that's what a cult of personality is supposed to do for you.

Attacking? You do have a problem. I gave you advice.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2016, 04:47:42 am »
The lad is not bitter. He's just consumed by a gnawing hate eating away his gut until he can taste the bile in his mouth. Well, I guess he is a little bitter. Either that or he's coming down with something

So nice of you to diagnose me, doctor.  Mayhap I'll sue for malpractice.  Why would I be bitter about your infatuation with a cult of personality?  I'm depressed, yes, and alarmed, yes, but bitter?  No.  That's the bane of democracy:  if 51% of your countrymen make a mistake, you will be paying the price for it right along with the rest of them, unless you choose to leave the country entirely.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2016, 04:48:06 am »
Attacking? You do have a problem. I gave you advice.

You gave nothing.  You have nothing to give.

A-Lert

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2016, 04:49:55 am »
You gave nothing.  You have nothing to give.

Poor baby. I'll leave you to wallow in your pool of self-pity.  :seeya:

Bill Cipher

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2016, 05:00:28 am »
Poor baby. I'll leave you to wallow in your pool of self-pity.  :seeya:

You must be talking about someone else, because I have no problem with myself.  My problem is that the electorate in this country is providing a perfect object lesson in how quickly even a mature democracy can go off the rails.  But so be it.  I'll be here to say "I told you so" when you come back licking your wounds from the thrashing you'll get in the general election.  The only thing that really irks me is that I'll have to pay the price for your own self-indulgent behaviour whether I want to or not.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2016, 05:37:18 am »
My problem is that the electorate in this country is providing a perfect object lesson in how quickly even a mature democracy can go off the rails.

Democracy---the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it,
good and hard.
---H.L. Mencken, who also defined democracy as "the fine art of running the
circus from the monkey cage." Oh, if only he'd lived to see this year's campaigns!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.