Author Topic: Navy sailors told they can loosen their belts and PUT ON weight as fitness levels are lowered to stop so many overweight mariners being forced out  (Read 615 times)

rangerrebew

Navy sailors told they can loosen their belts and PUT ON weight as fitness levels are lowered to stop so many overweight mariners being forced out

U.S. Navy has loosened its restrictions on sailors' adhering to body fat limit
    Those who have failed fitness test are being given another chance to pass
    They will be tested under the new more lenient Navy fitness guidelines
    Comes after force said too many sailors were leaving due to fitness levels 

By Jennifer Newton for MailOnline

Published: 05:26 EST, 7 March 2016 | Updated: 05:42 EST, 7 March 2016

The US Navy is relaxing its rules on body fat limits after too many sailors were being kicked out of the service for not passing strict physical fitness tests.   

The force loosened its restrictions on body fat in January and is now allowing those who failed their physical exams three or more times, to get one more opportunity to be tested this spring under more lenient guidelines.

The Navy has previously said they had been losing too many talented sailors due to the fitness rules and some were even resorting to liposuction and diet pills to save their careers.

Petty Officers Theresa Derby, left, and Lentoyi White run through the morning fog as part of their exercise routine. The pair are trying to improve their fitness in order to pass the Navy's fitness test and remain in the Navy

The changes are the latest by the military looking to improve its ability to recruit and retain talented people as it builds up its cyber-warfare strategy and faces competition from a rebounding economy.

A 2014 Pentagon study found that roughly two-thirds of Americans would not qualify to enlist in the armed services as a result of health problems, obesity and the failure to complete a high school education.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said the service is not lowering standards but rather adjusting to reality.

He said: 'People today, in general, are bigger but not necessarily fat. The Navy is also considering larger uniforms sizes for the first time in two decades.
The number of sailors booted from the Navy annually because they did not meet physical standards has more than doubled from 694 in 2011 to 1,536 in 2014
+3

The number of sailors booted from the Navy annually because they did not meet physical standards has more than doubled from 694 in 2011 to 1,536 in 2014

'It's far more realistic. We were kicking more people out of the Navy for failing that, than for drugs.'

The number of sailors booted from the Navy annually because they did not meet physical standards has more than doubled from 694 in 2011 to 1,536 in 2014.

The Navy's old policy allowed for 22 per cent body fat for males ages 17 to 39, and 33 per cent body fat for females ages 17 to 39.

Sailors age 40 and older were allotted one additional percentage point or 23 per cent for males and 34 per cent for women over 40.

The new limits fall in line with the Department of Defense standards and allow sailors to pass with a maximum 26 percent of body fat for men and 36 percent for women.

Service members have long complained that the Defense Department's method of estimating body fat punishes bulkier, muscular builds.

Plastic surgeons in communities near bases have said up to a third of their business comes from service members seeking liposuction to pass the exam.

The traditional, so-called 'tape test' relies on measurements of the neck and waist to calculate one's body fat percentage.

The Air Force in 2013 started allowing airmen who fail the tape test but pass physical fitness exams to be measured using the Body Mass Index, which is a chart based on an individual's weight and height.

The Navy adopted similar rules, expanded gym hours and provides fitness help to post-partum sailors.

Petty Officer Lentoyi White, 26, feared for her career, after failing twice.

'I am very grateful for a second chance with this new policy,' said the single mother of a five-year-old girl.

White, based in Coronado, California, uses a calorie-tracking app and does 30 minutes of cardio a day.
Petty Officer Lentoyi White, 26, feared for her career, after failing twice. She now uses a calorie-tracking app and does 30 minutes of cardio a day
+3

Petty Officer Lentoyi White, 26, feared for her career, after failing twice. She now uses a calorie-tracking app and does 30 minutes of cardio a day

She has gone from 212 pounds to 188 and is confident she'll pass this spring.

The changes come amid debate over whether the physical requirements demanded of service members across the board are still relevant or should be adjusted according to the job so the armed forces can maintain the pool of talent it needs for today's high-tech warfare.

All branches are reviewing their job standards to modernize their forces and prepare for the opening of combat posts to women.

From drone operators to cyber-warfare officers, 'there are a number of officers in jobs where it is really obvious why it would not make whole lot of difference what their weight is, other than to the extent that the culture in the military disrespects it and therefore, they can't lead,' said former Army officer James Joyner, who teaches at the Marine Corps University.

He added: 'It's absurd the percentage of high school teenagers who are considered to be too fat to join the military.

'Maybe there are two problems: One, obesity, and the other that the standards are out of date and not relevant.'

Some 34,000 sailors, or roughly 10 per cent of the force, have failed the physical requirements at least once since 2011, mostly because of body fat.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3480139/Navy-sailors-told-loosen-belts-weight-fitness-levels-reduced-stop-overweight-mariners-forced-out.html#ixzz42DM8lwkD
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Stupid.

Naval service, like flying, is where you need slimmer people. Shipside, at least, some of the places you need to get into would make a contortionist tell you to stop kidding around.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Relic

Bad move.

I spent 4 years in the USN, and even with the fitness requirements, there were lots of fat sailors. When you spend 6-7 months deployed, and your main source of exercise is going to the ship's store for gedunk, fat will happen. With no incentive to correct the condition, it will only get worse.

And EC is right, there are some very tight places onboard. The good news is, generally those spaces are frequented by E6 and below. Old, fat chiefs seldom make their way into the really tight spaces.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
And EC is right, there are some very tight places onboard. The good news is, generally those spaces are frequented by E6 and below. Old, fat chiefs seldom make their way into the really tight spaces.

Ah, but those tight spaces ... those are where the stills are!  :laugh:

So I'm told.  :whistle:

Offline Relic

Ah, but those tight spaces ... those are where the stills are!  :laugh:

So I'm told.  :whistle:

I didn't get around enough! If someone had one, they kept that treasure to themselves.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
There were 3 that I knew of on the Galahad (only ship I spent significant time on).

One forward - hidden in part of the actual hull right in the bow, one that you could only get to by straddling the main shaft, and one in the 5 inch gap behind one of the big freezers, that had a 15 inch wide access passage to it. The stuff from the freezer one was best - more variety of ingredients went into it.

Offline Relic

There were 3 that I knew of on the Galahad (only ship I spent significant time on).

One forward - hidden in part of the actual hull right in the bow, one that you could only get to by straddling the main shaft, and one in the 5 inch gap behind one of the big freezers, that had a 15 inch wide access passage to it. The stuff from the freezer one was best - more variety of ingredients went into it.

On the Chicago, it's possible they had stills, and I just didn't know. I was new, and didn't know that many people. It was a big ship, crew of about 1000.
On the Sampson, I had been around, knew some guys, and ran in the right, (wrong?), circles. I'm pretty sure there were no stills on that ship. The contraband of choice was weed.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Weed was risky in the RN back then - it was an automatic "demoted two grades and 3 months pay" for everyone in the vicinity if it was so much as smelled.

Over the last couple of years, meth cooking has popped up in army bases (and I assume inthe Navy as well). That's an automatic 5 years if you are caught in possession or under the influence. Stupid thing to do as well, we're actually issued phets!

Offline Relic

Weed was risky in the RN back then - it was an automatic "demoted two grades and 3 months pay" for everyone in the vicinity if it was so much as smelled.

Over the last couple of years, meth cooking has popped up in army bases (and I assume inthe Navy as well). That's an automatic 5 years if you are caught in possession or under the influence. Stupid thing to do as well, we're actually issued phets!

My boss used to smoke onboard in the computer space. He was an E6 and the only one who really understood the computers of that day. I'm all but certain that they had an idea of what he was up to, and turned a blind eye to avoid turning the computer space over to me and another E4 who weren't nearly as good as our E6 boss.

I left the space when he decided he needed calming down. I wasn't as valuable, and didn't feel like being the example!