Author Topic: Mitt Romney won’t rule out accepting GOP nomination at contested convention  (Read 497 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/6/mitt-romney-wont-rule-out-accepting-gop-nomination/print/

Mitt Romney won’t rule out accepting GOP nomination at contested convention
By S.A. Miller - The Washington Times - Sunday, March 6, 2016

Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee, refused Sunday to rule out becoming the nominee again this year at a brokered convention, though he insisted he couldn’t imagine that happening.

“I don’t think anyone in our party should say, ‘Oh no, even if the people of the party wanted me to be president, I would say no to it.’ No one is going to say that,” Mr. Romney said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Speculation abounded that Mr. Romney was setting himself up for a surprise nomination last week when he unleashed a brutal denouncement of front-runner Donald Trump, urging voters to support anyone but the billionaire real estate mogul in upcoming primaries to force a contested convention this summer in Cleveland, Ohio.

Mr. Romney lambasted Mr. Trump as “a fraud, a phony” in a speech Thursday. “He gets a free ride to the White House, and all we get is a lousy hat.”

On the Sunday talk show, Mr. Romney said he isn’t running and plans to endorse one of Mr. Trump’s three rivals — either Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Ohio Gov. John Kasich or Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

“I can tell you this: I’m not a candidate. I’m not going to be a candidate. I am going to be endorsing one of the people who is running for president,” he said. “One of the four is going to be the Republican Party nominee. Three of the four are people I would endorse. But I’m not running and I’m not going to be running.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

But I’m not running and I’m not going to be running.”

Why run when you can be anointed.   :shrug: 

A-Lert

Isn't that special?

Bill Cipher

Romney should not be muddying the water this way.  He should focus on getting the GOP back on track and curing this Trump fixation.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
If Romney wanted to be president, he should have ran.  Frankly, I find the guy a bit confusing.  He doesn't run, then he steps in to speak against Trump, then he says he won't run for president, but then he says he won't rule out accepting the GOP nomination at convention.  ??? What ??  He lost in 2008.  He lost in 2012.  Somehow I just don't see a Romney nomination on the horizon, nor do I think he can beat Hillary.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Bill Cipher

If Romney wanted to be president, he should have ran.  Frankly, I find the guy a bit confusing.  He doesn't run, then he steps in to speak against Trump, then he says he won't run for president, but then he says he won't rule out accepting the GOP nomination at convention.  ??? What ??  He lost in 2008.  He lost in 2012.  Somehow I just don't see a Romney nomination on the horizon, nor do I think he can beat Hillary.

Quite agree.

Online mountaineer

Quire agree, libertybele. Romney's unwelcome/uninvited comments haven't helped anything.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org