Author Topic: Romney touts Cruz wins over Trump, will not reject GOP nod if drafted at convention  (Read 409 times)

Offline EdinVA

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/06/romney-touts-cruz-wins-over-trump-will-not-reject-gop-nod-if-drafted-at-convention.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Mitt Romney said Sunday that GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz winning two primary states this weekend proves the Texas senator can stop front-runner Donald Trump, but declined to rule out his own White House scenario.

Romney, a former Massachusetts governor and the Republicans' 2012 presidential nominee, repeated remarks from last week, telling “Fox News Sunday” that he wouldn’t launch an eleventh-hour campaign for president. But he declined to reject being “drafted” at the GOP convention in July to be the party’s general election candidate.

“It would be absurd to say that if I were drafted I’d say no,” Romney said. “We have four strong people running for the nomination. One of them will be the nominee.”

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
My God, he's dying to be drafted!  Where can I go to get my vote for Mitt Romney back?  One of my life's greatest regrets!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

HAPPY2BME

The Washington Times - Sunday, March 6, 2016

Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican presidential nominee, refused Sunday to rule out becoming the nominee again this year at a brokered convention, though he insisted he couldn’t imagine that happening.

“I don’t think anyone in our party should say, ‘Oh no, even if the people of the party wanted me to be president, I would say no to it.’ No one is going to say that,” Mr. Romney said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Speculation abounded that Mr. Romney was setting himself up for a surprise nomination last week when he unleashed a brutal denouncement of front-runner Donald Trump, urging voters to support anyone but the billionaire real estate mogul in upcoming primaries to force a contested convention this summer in Cleveland, Ohio.

Mr. Romney lambasted Mr. Trump as “a fraud, a phony” in a speech Thursday. “He gets a free ride to the White House, and all we get is a lousy hat.”

On the Sunday talk show, Mr. Romney said he isn’t running and plans to endorse one of Mr. Trump’s three rivals — either Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Ohio Gov. John Kasich or Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

“I can tell you this: I’m not a candidate. I’m not going to be a candidate. I am going to be endorsing one of the people who is running for president,” he said. “One of the four is going to be the Republican Party nominee. Three of the four are people I would endorse. But I’m not running and I’m not going to be running.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/6/mitt-romney-wont-rule-out-accepting-gop-nomination/

HAPPY2BME

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:13:31 pm by HAPPY2BME »

HAPPY2BME

Laura Ingraham: The Suicide of the Republican Establishment

Laura Ingraham writes: “Despite the Trump juggernaut, they [the Republican establishment] refuse to rethink Bushism in their support for Rubio.”

Here is something to think about as we approach Super Tuesday.

If Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) becomes president, we can expect:

1.) That he will work with Democrats and the GOP leadership in Congress to pass something that looks like the Gang of Eight amnesty bill.

2.) That he will urge Congress to pass any trade agreements that Obama has signed.

3.) That he will send significant numbers of U.S. troops to the Middle East.

4.) That his foreign policy will be developed by many of the same people who advised George W. Bush.

5.) That his economic policy will reflect the views of those who were in power when the United States was hit by the economic crisis of 2008.

Now, I don’t think any of these points are truly controversial. Somewhere, there may be naïve people who actually believe that Rubio will put border enforcement first. But all sophisticated analysts of politics — including the folks at National Review — certainly expect that a President Rubio will support the same type of amnesty that was supported by Sen. Rubio. And on the other issues, Rubio has not even pretended that he will break with the Obama/Bush trade policy, the Bush foreign policy, or the Bush economic policy.

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/the-suicide-of-the-gop-establishment/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:18:22 pm by HAPPY2BME »

Bill Cipher

He should say no to it.  He should stick to getting out the proof of Trump's incompetence and not muddy the water with wishful thinking.

Offline EdinVA

My God, he's dying to be drafted!  Where can I go to get my vote for Mitt Romney back?  One of my life's greatest regrets!

Well, we did not have a lot of options that time around Alice...

Offline Lando Lincoln

Well, we did not have a lot of options that time around Alice...

True Dat!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck