Author Topic: Ryan plans to speak with Trump about GOP agenda  (Read 271 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ryan plans to speak with Trump about GOP agenda
« on: March 02, 2016, 11:02:30 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/271547-ryan-plans-to-speak-with-trump-about-gop-agenda

March 02, 2016, 05:04 pm
Ryan plans to speak with Trump about GOP agenda

By Cristina Marcos

Rep. Paul Ryan's team has been in contact with Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump’s campaign to discuss the party’s agenda going into the November elections, the House Speaker's office says.

Ryan is also expected to communicate with the rest of the presidential field as the the GOP prepares to unveil an official policy platform this spring.

“We have heard from the campaign, but the two have not yet spoken. We expect the speaker to be in touch with all the remaining candidates soon to discuss our efforts to build a bold conservative policy agenda for 2017,” Ryan spokesman Brendan Buck said.

Trump’s campaign declined to confirm the communications. Spokeswoman Hope Hicks said that “we don't comment on private conversations.”

The outreach comes as GOP lawmakers are split over whether to get behind the front-runner, with a handful opting to endorse Trump over the last week and others pledging never to vote for him.

Ryan, who as Speaker will be co-chairing the GOP’s nominating convention in July, has said he will support whoever emerges as the nominee.

But he has rebuked Trump twice in recent months in high-profile fashion. The first was to condemn Trump’s proposal in December to ban all Muslims from the U.S., which Ryan said was “not conservatism.”

And on Tuesday morning, as 11 states were preparing to vote in GOP contests for Super Tuesday, Ryan denounced Trump for declining to disavow an endorsement by former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke.

"I try to stay out of the ups and downs of the primary, but I've also said when I see something that runs counter to who we are as a party and a country, I will speak up," Ryan told reporters at a Capitol press conference. "If a person wants to be the nominee of the party, there can be no evasion and no games. They must reject any group or cause that is built on bigotry.

"I hope this is the last time I have to speak out on this race," Ryan added.

During a press conference on the night of his victories on Super Tuesday, Trump said he didn't know Ryan well but expected they'd get along.

But Trump appeared to suggest there would be consequences for Ryan if the two clash.

"I'm going to get along great with Congress. Paul Ryan, I don't know him well, but I'm sure I'm going to get along great with him," Trump said. "And if I don't, he's going to have to pay a big price."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Ryan plans to speak with Trump about GOP agenda
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 11:32:38 pm »

This is exactly why Trump is favored to win the primary. He's a man to be reckoned with. Ryan will test him. The meeting will go well and be cordial. But, still it's good we got Trump on our side.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Ryan plans to speak with Trump about GOP agenda
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:36:15 pm »
Hey.  Ryan's meeting with ALL the candidates. Not just Trump.

"I'm going to get along great with Congress. Paul Ryan, I don't know him well, but I'm sure I'm going to get along great with him," Trump said. "And if I don't, he's going to have to pay a big price."

Ryan can impeach Trump, but Trump can do nothing to Ryan. 

I'd say Ryan is the man to be reckoned with.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.