Author Topic: SEN. SESSIONS TO ENDORSE TRUMP  (Read 15437 times)

Bill Cipher

Re: SEN. SESSIONS TO ENDORSE TRUMP
« Reply #200 on: February 29, 2016, 04:45:24 am »
Then why isn't Cruz running away with this primary?

Does he fail the purity test as well?

The "Reagan was the last pure conservative" thing is pure crap.

He was the best President in my lifetime, but to the Conservatives of his time he was not pure enough either. Reagan didn't see eye-to-eye with them so the animosity went both ways.

Read his autobiography "An American Life".

Reagan was never a pure conservative and probably would have bridled at that label were he around to hear it.  A pure conservative of today's ilk would never be heard to say "you can get a lot done if you don't care who gets the credit".  For Trump it's all about getting the credit, especially when you didn't get it done.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #201 on: February 29, 2016, 04:48:50 am »
Trump has NEVER done anything that doesn't benefit Trump. For you to wishfully think that the Donald is going to do anything to improve the lot of people he has thrown to the side in favor of H2B immigrants has no basis in reality. 

That these little people put so much in Trump when there is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that he will do anything for them is really tragic.

Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Paul Allen...the same could be said of them or any other businessman in the world. So sink, that is B.S. Beyond that, Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, John McCain, George W. Bush or Most importantly, Marco Rubio, have NEVER done anything that doesn't benefit themselves. So what do you have now?

That is human nature. Yes, but what does Trump benefit beyond the 10 or whatever billion he is worth now? He could BUY an ambitious little chihuahua like Rubio or a Savior Wannabe like Cruz.

What else do you have?
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Bill Cipher

« Reply #202 on: February 29, 2016, 04:53:23 am »
Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Paul Allen...the same could be said of them or any other businessman in the world. So sink, that is B.S. Beyond that, Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, John McCain, George W. Bush or Most importantly, Marco Rubio, have NEVER done anything that doesn't benefit themselves. So what do you have now?

That is human nature. Yes, but what does Trump benefit beyond the 10 or whatever billion he is worth now? He could BUY an ambitious little chihuahua like Rubio or a Savior Wannabe like Cruz.

What else do you have?

True it is that everyone acts in their own self-interest.  Only a fool denies that.  And true it is that every politician is going to tell you that he is going to do good.  Only a fool denies that.  But it's also true that what a person has done and said before, particularly over a long period of time, and particularly when he wasn't trying to convince you of something, is a much, much better guide to what that person is likely to do in the future than are his recent words which bear no relationship to his past conduct nor to any apparent path of development or growth from then to now.  Only a fool denies that.  We are surrounded by fools, it would seem.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:55:11 am by Bill Cipher »

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #203 on: February 29, 2016, 04:57:49 am »
That they are not.  They are already self-identified republicans, people who were already ideologically committed, and who are now frustrated because the world hasn't moved far enough in their direction.  They are steadily painting themselves into a corner because they refuse to reach out beyond their traditional comfort zone, and they refuse to accept that the world is changing and that they'll have to deal with the future sooner or later, and that you either deal with the future, or you get dealt with by the future.  When you refuse to recognize the future, and the change it brings, you get dealt with, you don't get to deal.

And Reagan was amazingly well-read and came to his views - from being a democrat party man - honestly through hard work, thinking, and reflection.  Trump is the antithesis of that.  For all that can be told, he was walking on the road to Damascus one day when epiphany struck.

So when we hear of the incredible turnout in Republican primaries and caucuses, and we hear of all the Democrats coming over to vote for him, what is that? Trump is raising the bar already in Republican contests...and yet you construct a wild solution to this that paints the majority as out-of-touch dying population?

And you have absolutely no idea how read or unread Donald Trump is vis-a-vis Reagan.  You liked Reagan (as did I) and that instructs your rear-view mirror of him.

...Bob Dylan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #204 on: February 29, 2016, 04:58:40 am »

What else do you have?

Trump is a narcissist.  Narcissists love themselves, above all.

Trump is not worth 10 billion and is not worth close to that.

You love him.  I think he's a horrible human being whom I will never vote for.

That's what I have. And there are thousands, maybe more, just like me.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #205 on: February 29, 2016, 05:05:37 am »
So when we hear of the incredible turnout in Republican primaries and caucuses, and we hear of all the Democrats coming over to vote for him, what is that? Trump is raising the bar already in Republican contests...and yet you construct a wild solution to this that paints the majority as out-of-touch dying population?

And you have absolutely no idea how read or unread Donald Trump is vis-a-vis Reagan.  You liked Reagan (as did I) and that instructs your rear-view mirror of him.

Turn out?  Last I heard, the population of the U.S. was approximately 300 million.  A hundred thousand true believers here and there isn't even a statistically meaningful variation on that.  And I should think that having democrats signing up to vote in republican primaries to be something to be concerned about, not something to celebrate, because the odds are greater that they're doing so to cause problems, not to solve them (unless we're talking about solving Sanders' problems).

As for Trump's knowledge and reading, I can measure by what isn't there.  If Trump were well-read, we'd see at least a glimmer of it in what he's said.  But we see nothing other than stupidities, like a 45% tariff, loosening libel laws to stifle free speech, building massive thousand-mile long walls and billing the sovereign nation on the other side for it, and etc, etc, etc.  Past performance is a rather useful guide to future performance (pace SEC).  Trump was a liberal.  Trump is a liberal.  Trump will always be a liberal.  I can deal with the reality of the situation; I'm sorry so few others can.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #206 on: February 29, 2016, 05:06:40 am »
Trump is a narcissist.  Narcissists love themselves, above all.

Trump is not worth 10 billion and is not worth close to that.

You love him.  I think he's a horrible human being whom I will never vote for.

That's what I have. And there are thousands, maybe more, just like me.

I don't love him. I respect him. And I think there is with him an opportunity to make some very important changes in the way the federal government operates.  There has not been a president in as long as I can remember that has not been a narcissist, in the political world that is all there is...find the one that works for you.

...Bob Dylan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #207 on: February 29, 2016, 05:14:09 am »
Very true Bill, and today who has the blue collar Reagan Democrats?  It is Trump, they are his base.  I believe the blue collar, who are suffering like no other (except maybe the college-degreed from 2008 forward),that will propel Trump.  And he, like any other politician, will NOT forget them. You cannot forget who elected you in America.  He is 69, he will be 70... Do you really think he has wild nefarious plans for America in his final years?  That secretly he wants to destroy it. This is nonsensical.

Ask him. Go ahead ask my new found friend, has he taken a single solitary moment to read anything about Trump not recently political in nature? Anything about the man that isn't an attack? Something about Trump in his early and mid career. Go back in nexis 25 years, read about Wollman rink, and about other Trump projects that revitalized decaying neighborhoods and saved historic Manhattan hotels.

To hear talk around here, Trump is the end of America. Really? We're coming out of two Obama terms and Donald Trump is the end of the world? Hitler, fascist, Mussolini, etc. Are y'all hearing this?

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #208 on: February 29, 2016, 05:14:46 am »
Turn out?  Last I heard, the population of the U.S. was approximately 300 million.  A hundred thousand true believers here and there isn't even a statistically meaningful variation on that.  And I should think that having democrats signing up to vote in republican primaries to be something to be concerned about, not something to celebrate, because the odds are greater that they're doing so to cause problems, not to solve them (unless we're talking about solving Sanders' problems).

As for Trump's knowledge and reading, I can measure by what isn't there.  If Trump were well-read, we'd see at least a glimmer of it in what he's said.  But we see nothing other than stupidities, like a 45% tariff, loosening libel laws to stifle free speech, building massive thousand-mile long walls and billing the sovereign nation on the other side for it, and etc, etc, etc.  Past performance is a rather useful guide to future performance (pace SEC).  Trump was a liberal.  Trump is a liberal.  Trump will always be a liberal.  I can deal with the reality of the situation; I'm sorry so few others can.

A Republican cannot win without crossover votes. Conservatism is a silly anachronism, supported by exceedingly few.  You see stupidities, yet we can see people flocking to his message.  If you are fighting the liberal/conservative battle, the game has been over for for decades. Let's try something different.

...Bob Dylan

Offline Paladin

« Reply #209 on: February 29, 2016, 05:15:23 am »
You are obsessed.

Beg pardon. Who was it made this statement thus beginning this issue? "Trump has never uttered a single word about Benghazi..."

Second question: who is it that has yet to admit his error? Got any ideas about that one, sparky?

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #210 on: February 29, 2016, 05:28:07 am »
Trump has NEVER done anything that doesn't benefit Trump.

I refer you to post #212 for a little balance. You folks do more to squeeze a man's achievements into a one sentence invective. What are your accomplishments that have benefitted as many people as Trump?

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #211 on: February 29, 2016, 05:35:47 am »
In major blow to Ted Cruz, Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama endorses Donald Trump for GOP nomination

MADISON, Ala. — Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), whose hard-line conservative stances on immigration and trade have made him a favorite of the party’s base, endorsed Donald Trump's White House bid during a joint appearance here in his home state Sunday.

"Politicians have promised for 30 years to fix illegal immigration. Have they done it? Donald Trump will do it," Sessions said at the Madison City Schools Stadium, where thousands gathered to hear Trump speak. “I’ve told Donald Trump this isn’t a campaign, this is a movement.”

The endorsement represents a major blow to Sen. Ted Cruz (Tex.), one of Trump's two chief rivals for the Republican nomination. Cruz has touted his strict positions on border security and deportation, leaning on his strident commitment to conservative ideology as a key rationale for his candidacy. In the run-up to the March 1 Super Tuesday primary elections, Cruz has tried to undermine Trump's conservative bona fides on immigration reform, characterizing his plan as “amnesty.”

The announcement is the latest in a series of high-profile endorsements by prominent GOP voices including New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Arizona governor Jan Brewer. Sessions’s appearance came as a surprise for those in attendance, who cheered when he took the stage.

“When I talk about immigration and when I talk about illegal immigration and all the problems with crime and everything else, I think of a great man,” Trump said in introducing Sessions. “Sweet Home Alabama” finished playing as Trump took the stage.

“That is so great. You know, he’s an incredible guy,” Trump said after Sessions spoke.

Trump has made immigration reform and border security a linchpin of his presidential run, calling for the mass deportation of 12 million undocumented immigrants living in the United States and promising to build a massive wall alongside the U.S.-Mexico border. Many of Trump’s critics have accused him of xenophobia; others have argued that his plan to build the wall — and to force Mexico to pay for it through aggressive diplomacy — is unrealistic.

The Sessions endorsement also comes as Cruz and Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.) — who has been locked in a bitter fight with Cruz for second place — have made an aggressive push to characterize Trump as a false conservative who has made promises he does not intend to keep.

Cruz and Sessions, one of the most conservative members of the Senate, have forged a close relationship in recent years. Cruz has regularly made reference to Sessions on the trail, emphasizing the mutual respect between the two.

Sessions appeared with Cruz in Daphne, Ala., in December and has defended the senator from Texas against accusations that he once supported a path to legal status for undocumented immigrants. Sessions has supported Cruz’s claim that an amendment he offered, which stripped the bill of a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants but granted legal status, was intended as a "poison pill" that would kill the legislation.

But the relationship between Trump and Sessions has slowly warmed over the past year. Starting early last year, Sessions and his advisers privately consulted with Trump on immigration policy and helped to shape the candidate’s position paper. They had one extensive call in July that was confirmed by both sides and is considered the moment that Sessions began to consider backing Trump.

“I like him,” Trump said of Sessions when asked about that call. “Tough guy. I like that. We have a similar thought process.”

By August, they were in more frequent touch — two men who shared staunch conservative views on trade and immigration. When Trump held a rally in Mobile, Ala., in August, he did so in part because it is the home town of Sessions, whom he brought onstage as thousands roared. The senator put on a “Make America Great Again” cap.

A month later, when Trump visited Washington in September for an event, he huddled with Sessions in the senator’s hideaway office at the Capitol. Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, who would later endorse Trump, joined them.

Stephen Miller, who had been a top aide to Sessions, signed on with Trump’s campaign in January as a senior adviser and has been traveling with the candidate to recent debates. His hire was considered the best evidence of where Sessions was leaning, as Miller had been a continual presence at Sessions’s side for years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/02/28/in-major-blow-to-ted-cruz-sen-jeff-sessions-of-alabama-endorses-donald-trump-for-gop-nomination/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #212 on: February 29, 2016, 11:27:11 am »
For all that can be told, he was walking on the road to Damascus one day when epiphany struck.

If that were, in fact, the case I'd be a hell of a lot less worried. There are none so enthusiastic as a recent convert.

The way I see it, there's three possible outcomes:

1/ Trump loses the general. You are not looking at a Hillary term and two for whoever her VP is (there is zero chance she'd last two terms - President is a job that kills) only. The Repub party would tear itself apart so badly in the aftermath that the Dems would hold the Presidency for the foreseeable future, simply through lack of opposition.

2/ Trump wins and is as bad as some here (including me) expect. I know the great quadrennial navel gazing of the American public is going on in full force but I'm going to clue you in on something. The rest of the world still exists. ISIS? - we're bleep losing. Badly. The entire ME situation is one mistimed sneeze away from erupting into full on WW3. This is not exaggeration. Not hyperbole. It's fact. Ironically enough, the only thing keeping a damper on it exploding at the moment is the Worm's idleness and cowardice.

3/ Trump wins and actually does a decent job. Unlikely, given Trump's character, but possible. Things won't get worse and may possibly get a little better.

His supporters are staking EVERYTHING on a very long shot. Wouldn't mind over much, but they're staking everything of mine as well.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #213 on: February 29, 2016, 11:36:09 am »
If that were, in fact, the case I'd be a hell of a lot less worried. There are none so enthusiastic as a recent convert.

The way I see it, there's three possible outcomes:

1/ Trump loses the general. You are not looking at a Hillary term and two for whoever her VP is (there is zero chance she'd last two terms - President is a job that kills) only. The Repub party would tear itself apart so badly in the aftermath that the Dems would hold the Presidency for the foreseeable future, simply through lack of opposition.

2/ Trump wins and is as bad as some here (including me) expect. I know the great quadrennial navel gazing of the American public is going on in full force but I'm going to clue you in on something. The rest of the world still exists. ISIS? - we're bleep losing. Badly. The entire ME situation is one mistimed sneeze away from erupting into full on WW3. This is not exaggeration. Not hyperbole. It's fact. Ironically enough, the only thing keeping a damper on it exploding at the moment is the Worm's idleness and cowardice.

3/ Trump wins and actually does a decent job. Unlikely, given Trump's character, but possible. Things won't get worse and may possibly get a little better.

His supporters are staking EVERYTHING on a very long shot. Wouldn't mind over much, but they're staking everything of mine as well.

Your exactly right EC and you could change "Trump" with the candidate of your choice and as far as I am concerned it is still true.
We had 8 years of GOP administration with 4 years of GOP congress and we still ended up with an absolute mess, so I see there is equal risk is following the status quo.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #214 on: February 29, 2016, 11:52:46 am »
Perfect picture of what happens to the GOP and conservatives in November if Trump is nominated.

Looking less like 'if' than 'will'.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #215 on: February 29, 2016, 12:03:42 pm »
Rubio has the best shot in taking Florida, Virginia, Colorado, and Ohio in the general.

I realize polls are just, polls. But have you looked at any? They have Trump crushing Rubio in all those states, including Florida. He's beating Kasich in Ohio. Of the two polls I've seen on Texas, one has him beating Cruz, the other has Cruz beating him, and both were BEFORE Sessions and Brewer endorsed Trump. And except for Iowa, the votes have followed the polls. Give me a break.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

HonestJohn

« Reply #216 on: February 29, 2016, 12:08:24 pm »
I realize polls are just, polls. But have you looked at any? They have Trump crushing Rubio in all those states, including Florida. He's beating Kasich in Ohio. Of the two polls I've seen on Texas, one has him beating Cruz, the other has Cruz beating him, and both were BEFORE Sessions and Brewer endorsed Trump. And except for Iowa, the votes have followed the polls. Give me a break.

I said in the general!  Why are so many conflating the primary polls with the general?  Is Hillary running as a GOP candidate?

When you look at who Floridians would vote for, either Trump v Clinton... or Rubio v Clinton; Rubio take the vote.  Trump doesn't.

Why?  Because primary polling only polls those GOP and GOP-leaning voters.  General election polls survey ALL voters.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #217 on: February 29, 2016, 12:30:04 pm »

Our party and country is being dragged into the gutter by a troglodytic anuran whose appeal to the basest instincts of his audiences, to the tribalism of his audiences, is destroying the ideals we've stood for.

He is poison, but he's got lots of gullible saps with straws, sucking down what he's pouring.

And none of that changes just because Trump secures the nomination.  If anything, it makes it worse,  since Trump will have the imprimatur of one of the great national parties.  The Party of Lincoln cannot, must not, stand for fascism.   

You say I'm exaggerating?   Well then, what's the latest, just this morning?   Trump may or may not have sort of disavowed David Duke,  but still won't disavow the Klan or other white supremacist groups.    And he knowingly re-tweeted an "interesting" quote from Mussolini,  saying it didn't matter who it was who said it.   Well, who said it matters completely!  And, of course, last week he threatened to "open up the libel laws" and sue the press for daring to report "negatively" about He Who Will Lead Us.   

So that's three times just this week that Trump has reiterated his fascist credentials.  Well, I've said it before but it bears repeating as the Dear Bully reveals more clearly than ever the threat he represents.    I will not be a good German.   I will not sit idly by while this cancer spreads throughout the land.   If Trump cannot be defeated for the nomination,  I will work to defeat him in the general election.  I cannot support a Republican party that finds Trumpism acceptable.   It will have sold its soul on a sucker bet.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #218 on: February 29, 2016, 12:34:17 pm »
And none of that changes just because Trump secures the nomination.  If anything, it makes it worse,  since Trump will have the imprimatur of one of the great national parties.  The Party of Lincoln cannot, must not, stand for fascism.   

You say I'm exaggerating?   Well then, what's the latest, just this morning?   Trump may or may not have sort of disavowed David Duke,  but still won't disavow the Klan or other white supremacist groups.    And he knowingly re-tweeted an "interesting" quote from Mussolini,  saying it didn't matter who it was who said it.   Well, who said it matters completely!  And, of course, last week he threatened to "open up the libel laws" and sue the press for daring to report "negatively" about He Who Will Lead Us.   

So that's three times just this week that Trump has reiterated his fascist credentials.  Well, I've said it before but it bears repeating as the Dear Bully reveals more clearly than ever the threat he represents.    I will not be a good German.  I will not sit idly by while this cancer spreads throughout the land.   If Trump cannot be defeated for the nomination,  I will work to defeat him in the general election.  I cannot support a Republican party that finds Trumpism acceptable.  It will have sold its soul on a sucker bet.     

If you're going to work against Donald Trump in the general....it ain't going to be in HERE, sweetpea.     :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Carling

« Reply #219 on: February 29, 2016, 12:36:13 pm »
You are obsessed.

And you blatantly lied, were proven incorrect, and don't even acknowledge it.

Is it against board rules to call a dishonest poster a liar?  Democrats blatantly lie like this, but I didn't realize that the GOPe also has adopted dishonesty as a part of their platform.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:37:25 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #220 on: February 29, 2016, 12:53:02 pm »
And you blatantly lied, were proven incorrect, and don't even acknowledge it.

Is it against board rules to call a dishonest poster a liar?  Democrats blatantly lie like this, but I didn't realize that the GOPe also has adopted dishonesty as a part of their platform.

Carling....please stop?  I'm begging you.  Control yourself, please?

Haven't you learned yet that calling somebody a "liar" is verboten here?   It's not going to cause him/her to reflect...it's just going to leave nasty scars among members when the dust settles.

Sinkspur doesn't "lie".   He's an honorable man.  There's proof in our 'historical documents' (tip of the hat to Galaxy Quest)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #221 on: February 29, 2016, 01:00:42 pm »
If you're going to work against Donald Trump in the general....it ain't going to be in HERE, sweetpea.     :whistle:

I think we have a tie in the running for TBR drama queen with this one, DC.

Paraphrasing, if we "allow" (what? You mean like with an election?) the nomination and election of Donald Trump, America and the world will be thrown into chaos and global conflict. I keep waiting next to hear...and an acceleration of global warming and rise in sea levels.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #222 on: February 29, 2016, 01:05:05 pm »
Carling....please stop?  I'm begging you.  Control yourself, please?

Haven't you learned yet that calling somebody a "liar" is verboten here?   It's not going to cause him/her to reflect...it's just going to leave nasty scars among members when the dust settles.

Sinkspur doesn't "lie".   He's an honorable man.  There's proof in our 'historical documents' (tip of the hat to Galaxy Quest)

Yes, carling. Instead, you should use the political weasel word, he "misstated" the facts.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #223 on: February 29, 2016, 01:18:23 pm »
Yes, carling. Instead, you should use the political weasel word, he "misstated" the facts.

Is "disingenuous" allowed?  I like that one. 

Offline Carling

« Reply #224 on: February 29, 2016, 01:21:18 pm »

The Clinton approach is to say he "misspoke."
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------