Author Topic: Trump just issued MASSIVE THREAT to news media  (Read 8731 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Trump just issued MASSIVE THREAT to news media
« on: February 27, 2016, 01:15:18 pm »
Trump just issued MASSIVE THREAT to news media

by Michelle Jesse
From AllenBWest.com

Even as he appears unstoppable for the GOP nomination, Donald Trump is making fresh campaign promises that are causing some massive waves. The latest target: the media.

Via Breitbart:

Donald Trump is going after the media, threatening to sue publications for writing negatively about him.

During a Friday rally in Texas, Trump launched into a monologue about how he felt that the media was treating him unfairly, alleging that the New York Times and Washington Post, in particular, were not covering him well.

“The New York Times, which is losing a fortune, which is a failing newspaper, which probably won’t be around much longer … but I think the New York Times is one of the most dishonest media outlets I’ve ever seen in my life,” the businessman said. “They have an agenda that you wouldn’t believe.”

“If I become president, oh, do they have problems. They’re gonna have such problems,” Trump said.

He added:

One of the things I’m gonna do, and this is only gonna make it tougher for me, and I’ve never said this before, but one of the things I’m gonna do if I win … is I’m gonna open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money. We’re gonna open up those libel laws.

So that when the New York Times writes a hit piece which is a total disgrace, or when the Washington Post … writes a hit piece, we can sue them and win money, instead of having no chance of winning because they’re totally protected.

Trump continued his speech, threatening to roll back the media’s First Amendment protections in the Constitution.

“With me, they’re not protected, because I’m not like other people… We’re gonna open up those libel laws, folks, and we’re gonna have people sue you like you never got sued before,” he said.

Watch yourself:

http://youtu.be/kxo9b6PazkA

We’ve all lamented about the shamefully liberally biased mainstream media, and we’ve cheered Trump and other candidates (like Ben Carson) for calling them out.

However, his comments today are alarming media of all persuasions. While reasonable people would argue press shouldn’t be allowed to freely print material they *know* is untrue, Trump’s suggestion that press who write “negatively” about him should be vulnerable is chilling.

Freedom of the press is a core pillar of a free society. We rely on the media to be able to investigate and speak freely about our leaders without fear of repercussion — as admittedly lacking as the press may be in this regard at times. Indeed, we’ve longed for a press that will do more of the due diligence heavy lifting to help us vet our leaders AND hold them accountable once in office.

Will Trump’s idea — if it proves to be something he indeed could carry out as president, which is another matter altogether — result in media facing lawsuits simply for writing something negative, even if true? Will press shy away from reporting on issues for fear of being tied up in lawsuit — which inevitably are expensive and time-consuming, even if the suit against you is proven to be without merit?

I’ve been outraged by the current administration’s attempts to intimidate or silence some media that prove inconvenient to them (e.g., Sheryl Attkisson, James Rosen]. Surely we don’t want to encourage this type of behavior with the next president, Republican or otherwise.

Whether you are a Trump supporter or not, this is an issue we need to track and let him know we do not support any infringement on our First Amendment rights.

http://www.allenbwest.com/2016/02/trump-just-issued-massive-threat-to-news-media/
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Trump just issued MASSIVE THREAT to news media
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 01:16:54 pm »
When the bully pulpit is manned by a bully.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 01:26:40 pm »
When the bully pulpit is manned by a bully.
The man is at a minimum unstable, but most likely, mentally Ill.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 01:29:46 pm »
Let's not mince words, folks - the man's a fascist.   He has no respect for the Constitution if it stands in the way of his power.

His supporters are complicit in this, if they fail to speak out.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 01:40:30 pm »
You guys are so full of crap, your eyes must be brown.    :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 01:44:37 pm »

We're not the ones threatening the First Amendment and promising to sue people if they say mean things about us.

You're the one supporting the fascist.

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 01:45:05 pm »
The man is at a minimum unstable, but most likely, mentally Ill.

Trump is mentally ill without a doubt.  Someone who is narcissistic is considered to have a personality disorder. Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and often others. It is a cluster B personality disorder. It is estimated that this condition affects one percent of the population, with rates greater for men. First formulated in 1968, NPD was historically called megalomania, and is a form of severe egocentrism.

People with narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance. They have a sense of entitlement and demonstrate grandiosity in their beliefs and behavior. They have a strong need for admiration, but lack feelings of empathy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/a-neuroscientist-explains-trump-has-a-mental-disorder-that-makes-him-a-dangerous-world-leader/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stop-walking-eggshells/201511/therapists-confirm-trumps-narcissistic-personality-disorder
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 01:46:01 pm »
This story came from Allen West's blog/website.

Once a conservative icon, watch how Trump supporters turn on him.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 01:46:39 pm »

So just what are your limits, DC?   What can this man possibly say that you cannot, in good moral conscience, defend?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 01:49:12 pm »
We're not the ones threatening the First Amendment and promising to sue people if they say mean things about us.

You're the one supporting the fascist.

Ahhh....so they're brown?    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 01:50:09 pm »
People with narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance. They have a sense of entitlement and demonstrate grandiosity in their beliefs and behavior. They have a strong need for admiration, but lack feelings of empathy

"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters." - Donald Trump

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 01:51:06 pm »
Ahhh....so they're brown?    :laugh:

Ahhh... so you're supporting a fascist?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:51:30 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 01:56:35 pm »

??? No.  I don't think so.  Trump exudes classic narcissistic personality disorder traits and they are on display in his speeches, his demeanor, his debates, and in his actions.

DC as you know in the past, I had given Trump the benefit of the doubt.  I would like for you to give me just one example of Trump actually stating anything of substance on issues.  Trump is very good at stating that he will do something, and 'believe me I will do it', but he never goes any further than that on any issue. You love Trump, and he's "Superman" to you, I get it. What I don't get is how his total lack of substance in what he says is unchecked and not concerning.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 01:59:33 pm »
John Adams tried the same thing with his Sedition Act, as did Wilson.  Both failed, but the threats were there.  There are times when I despise the media, but the thought of a less than free press is downright chilling.  We already have libel and slander laws.  You will definitely see a big change in how the WH press corps is treated.  If he thinks some of the moderators have been unfair to him, wait until the daily press briefings.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 02:03:07 pm »
John Adams tried the same thing with his Sedition Act, as did Wilson.  Both failed, but the threats were there.  There are times when I despise the media, but the thought of a less than free press is downright chilling.  We already have libel and slander laws.  You will definitely see a big change in how the WH press corps is treated.  If he thinks some of the moderators have been unfair to him, wait until the daily press briefings.

With Trump there would be no transparency in government.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 02:03:47 pm »
Seems to me he's said something of "substance" about the need for negative opinions to be sued into silence, to be carried from the hall on a stretcher.

That's a tell, DC -  this guy's no good.   

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 02:04:33 pm »
What will come next from this fascist Wehrkraftzersetzung, the law  Hitler's regime created to outlaw defeatism and expressing opposing views in opposition of the Third Riech?

DC, you may thing we are full of S&&&, but we are only taking Trump for his word. And history is on our side that some of his words we should be very concerned with.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 02:05:53 pm »
Well, I am with Trump on this.
You and I are held responsible for the things we say why is it that the media can print any lie, any slander and any accusation and the target is publicly destroyed and lives are ruined but we have freedom of the press....
I hope the gates are opened and when the media runs afoul of the truth, they get their rear ends handed to them.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 02:11:52 pm »
You and I are held responsible for the things we say why is it that the media can print any lie, any slander and any accusation and the target is publicly destroyed and lives are ruined but we have freedom of the press....
I hope the gates are opened and when the media runs afoul of the truth, they get their rear ends handed to them.

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist; And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist; And then they came for the Jews, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew; And then they came for me."  - Martin Niemöller

When "they" come after forums like these, then what?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:16:29 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 02:16:43 pm »
With Trump there would be no transparency in government.

I do think that's a possibility.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 02:25:23 pm »
To work with the apparent theme here:

This crap scares me.  This crap should scare everyone.  Since it doesn't, it scares me even more.  Figuratively, it makes my brown eyes blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9lz_yzrGZw
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 02:26:19 pm »
"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist; And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist; And then they came for the Jews, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew; And then they came for me."  - Martin Niemöller

When "they" come after forums like these, then what?

If you are the target of slander, you should have a legal recourse...
Did Trump, or anyone else, say he was going to get the feds involved?  NO..
So we need to stop hyping the anti trump noise and look at the facts...

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 02:28:14 pm »

Sorry, have to disagree with you.  The media can already be sued but the burden is on the person or business suing and it's rarely successful because harm is not always that easy to show.  Trump has already indicated how he might treat the press if they are not fair to him.  That's the real issue, not business or personal libel.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 02:36:59 pm »
Sorry, have to disagree with you.  The media can already be sued but the burden is on the person or business suing and it's rarely successful because harm is not always that easy to show.  Trump has already indicated how he might treat the press if they are not fair to him.  That's the real issue, not business or personal libel.

What Trump knows is that a law suit, in and of itself, can be as destructive as losing a lawsuit to companies due to the legal costs involved in defending themselves against lawsuits.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 02:40:19 pm »
If you are the target of slander, you should have a legal recourse...
Did Trump, or anyone else, say he was going to get the feds involved?  NO..
So we need to stop hyping the anti trump noise and look at the facts...

I read Trump's words and I take them at face value.

When I read that he threatens to sue if someone says negative things about him, I see forums like these becoming targets of lawsuits. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:40:47 pm by Luis Gonzalez »