Author Topic: Nevada's GOP governor being vetted for Supreme Court: report  (Read 461 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Nevada's GOP governor being vetted for Supreme Court: report
« on: February 24, 2016, 07:31:44 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/270611-nevadas-gop-governor-being-vetted-for-scotus-report

February 24, 2016, 01:24 pm
Nevada's GOP governor being vetted for Supreme Court: report

By Harper Neidig

Republican Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval is being vetted to fill the Supreme Court vacancy left by Antonin Scalia's death, the Washington Post reported Wednesday.

The report cites two unnamed sources who are familiar with the process.

Sandoval is considered a moderate Republican.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest on Wednesday would not comment on whether the White House is vetting Sandoval.

“I suspect it is only the first of many stores that speculation on potential Supreme Court nominees," Earnest said of the report.

"I don’t think it will be helpful for me to get into a rhythm of responding to each one as it appears. We are going to let the process play out.”

Sandoval announced last year he would not run to replace retiring Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.), disappointing Republicans who hoped Sandoval could flip the seat for the GOP.

Nominating Sandoval would ratchet up the pressure on Republican senators, who have insisted they will not consider a nominee from President Obama, saying the next president should decide who replaces Scalia.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced Tuesday that he would not even meet with any potential nominee that the Obama administration puts forth.

Still, there have been signs that some Senate Republicans are willing to consider a nominee.

Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) has called on Obama to pick a replacement who would "reflect the will of the people."

"Should [Obama] decide to nominate someone to the Supreme Court, who knows, maybe it’ll be a Nevadan," Heller said in a statement last week, in a seeming reference to Sandoval.

- Updated at 1:48 p.m.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Nevada's GOP governor being vetted for Supreme Court: report
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:37:05 pm »
This is what I said he should do.  Nominate a moderate Republican.  Now he exposes McConnell and forces him to make the calculation as to whether there will be a Republican president down the road who would have nominated someone more conservative.

Still, I seriously doubt OPapaDoc will do this.  I have observed OPapaDoc for many years, and it seems to me he will go the Alinsky route and nominate a Hispanic female in order to enable Hitlery to play identity politics in the Fall.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: Nevada's GOP governor being vetted for Supreme Court: report
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 07:48:32 pm »
This is what I said he should do.  Nominate a moderate Republican.  Now he exposes McConnell and forces him to make the calculation as to whether there will be a Republican president down the road who would have nominated someone more conservative.

Still, I seriously doubt OPapaDoc will do this.  I have observed OPapaDoc for many years, and it seems to me he will go the Alinsky route and nominate a Hispanic female in order to enable Hitlery to play identity politics in the Fall.

I also think this is a head-fake.  Sandoval probably would not even accept such a nomination - he's in the establishment lane - probably a Rubio guy though he hasn't actually endorsed anyone.  I expect that he would have to be guaranteed a Senate vote before ever accepting.  Obama is going to put up a minority female and play the race and sex cards during the general election.  He probably just wants to say he considered Sandoval just for positioning purposes.  They are floating a story with nothing behind it for later positioning.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan