Author Topic: Trump within 1 of Cruz in Texas poll  (Read 3801 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump within 1 of Cruz in Texas poll
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:49:38 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/270566-trump-1-point-behind-cruz-in-texas-poll

February 24, 2016, 09:58 am
Trump within 1 of Cruz in Texas poll

By Jesse Byrnes

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is within 1 point of Ted Cruz in Cruz's home state, according to a poll released Wednesday.

Cruz has 29 percent support in Texas, followed closely by Trump, at 28 percent, and Marco Rubio, at 25 percent, according to an Emerson College poll released Wednesday. John Kasich takes 9 percent support, with Ben Carson at 4 percent.

The poll comes on the heels of Trump's dominant performance in the Nevada caucuses Tuesday, his third straight win in the GOP race.

Texas is one of the dozen states voting on Super Tuesday next week, and the billionaire businessman has made clear that he intends to beat Cruz in his home state.

"I think it's very likely that Mr. Trump can win here in Texas," Trump spokeswoman Katrina Pierson told CNN on Wednesday morning.

Among the three, Rubio is viewed most positively, with 64 percent viewing him favorably and 29 percent viewing him unfavorably.

Cruz is viewed favorably by 56 percent, with a higher unfavorable rating of 41 percent. Meanwhile, Trump is viewed unfavorably by 50 percent and viewed favorably by only 45 percent.

Cruz held a bigger lead of 9 points over Trump — 38 percent to 29 percent — in a separate University of Texas-Texas Tribune poll released Tuesday and conducted before the Emerson poll.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) endorsed Cruz on Wednesday.

The Emerson survey of 446 likely primary voters was conducted Feb. 21–23 via landlines with a margin of error of 4.6 percentage points.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Trump within 1 of Cruz in Texas poll
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:06:48 pm »
I say for Cruz to be so low, compared to Trump and Rubio should be seen by practical pragmatic people as devastating.

His performance thus far in the campaign is a great big huge fail. He did it to himself. He picked very weak, crooked staffers. He picked Beck, and let him stay. And his own preachy dramatic delivery is very off-putting to most aside from his devoted groupies.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 05:12:58 pm »
TOTAL BS as you will soon see!

Greg Abbott Endorses Ted Cruz for President

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/02/24/greg-abbott-endorses-ted-cruz-president/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 05:18:17 pm »
I say for Cruz to be so low, compared to Trump and Rubio should be seen by practical pragmatic people as devastating.

His performance thus far in the campaign is a great big huge fail. He did it to himself. He picked very weak, crooked staffers. He picked Beck, and let him stay. And his own preachy dramatic delivery is very off-putting to most aside from his devoted groupies.

Cruz, I believe, saw trouble when Trump came into the outsider "lane" and tacked toward the hard conservative, social conservative side to create a base.  I think he was hoping to have the outsider label all to himself but when he had to run further right to get a base he lost his best place.  To make matters worse, Trump started eating into his base from the other side and he was left with a very small slice of only the hardest ideological social conservatives...and that is not a big enough base to win in very many places.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:27:19 pm »
If Trump wins Texas, I don't know how he can be stopped.

Cruz's problem is that he's too articulate and defined on policy for an electorate that's wanting it's sloganed pound of flesh.

It's going to be hard to get traction with a party that right now just wants to win! win! win! with no thought of how they'll be governed afterwards.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 05:36:49 pm »
If Trump wins Texas, I don't know how he can be stopped.

Cruz's problem is that he's too articulate and defined on policy for an electorate that's wanting it's sloganed pound of flesh.

It's going to be hard to get traction with a party that right now just wants to win! win! win! with no thought of how they'll be governed afterwards.

Voting for Donald Trump and expecting him to do ANYTHING other than what he has always done i.e. be a far left liberal is very much like betting the farm on drawing a three to fill an inside straight in Vegas!

It ain't gonna happen!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 05:38:35 pm »

This poll doesn't look good, but the poll sample is small. So, given the margin of error, Trump could be up by 9 or down by 13.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 06:08:19 pm »
I don't see a path for victory for Ted Cruz anymore.  Unfortunately, he is self-immolating because of his bad choices in staff and his bad associations (Glenn Batshit Crazy Beck).  Not to mention his insistence on digging a narrow, but deep, niche for himself with certain evangelicals (not all of them, obviously).   

Frankly, I don't think any other candidate had a chance once Trump got in the race.  Superstorm Trump is breaking all the rules.  I don't think things will ever be like they were before. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Longiron

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 06:12:35 pm »
TRUMP at Ft Worth Convention Center on FRIDAY. Watch him take over the lead after that. CRUZ better look at any deal the DONALD offers if he wants to the POTUS after 8 years of TRUMP :beer:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 06:18:21 pm »
TRUMP at Ft Worth Convention Center on FRIDAY. Watch him take over the lead after that. CRUZ better look at any deal the DONALD offers if he wants to the POTUS after 8 years of TRUMP :beer:

Great, so let's knock the conservative Cruz out, and leave me with Rubio, the GOPe Bush Establishment candidate, and Trump, the Populist Nixonian Establishment candidate.

Not much room in the party these days for conservatives apparently.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 06:41:55 pm »
Great, so let's knock the conservative Cruz out, and leave me with Rubio, the GOPe Bush Establishment candidate, and Trump, the Populist Nixonian Establishment candidate.

Sure there is.  Consider John Kasich.  He's not picking up the establishment endorsements.  He's not running to be the new Nixon/Mussolini/Wallace/Perot.   He's just an old fashioned movement conservative with the experience and temperament to do great things in concert with a GOP Congress.  AND the polls show he's the most electable against Clinton in the fall.

The way out is right in front of us all.    Too bad we're all determined to view this race through eyes wide shut.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:42:28 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 07:00:32 pm »
Sure there is.  Consider John Kasich.  He's not picking up the establishment endorsements.  He's not running to be the new Nixon/Mussolini/Wallace/Perot.   He's just an old fashioned movement conservative with the experience and temperament to do great things in concert with a GOP Congress.  AND the polls show he's the most electable against Clinton in the fall.

The way out is right in front of us all.    Too bad we're all determined to view this race through eyes wide shut.

Kasich is too preachy, to Bush Compassionate Conservative for my taste. He needs to lay of the pseudo-evangelical moralizing and get back to the old John of the 90's.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 07:26:59 pm »

You brand of Republican Conservatives have had control of the House and Senate and what have they done with it. NOTHING except give the LIBS anything they want and a few things they never thought of and CAVE. They will CAVE again on the SCOTUS before year end. If that is what you call conservatism you can KEEP IT. Most call it a lack of Ball*! :patriot:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 07:31:40 pm »
You brand of Republican Conservatives have had control of the House and Senate and what have they done with it. NOTHING except give the LIBS anything they want and a few things they never thought of and CAVE. They will CAVE again on the SCOTUS before year end. If that is what you call conservatism you can KEEP IT. Most call it a lack of Ball*! :patriot:

Ted Cruz and Mitch McConnell were best of buds? Who knew?

To how many of those cavers did Trump donate? And how many will he make deals with?

Bring back the second coming of Nixon! Happy days are here again!
The Republic is lost.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 07:39:15 pm »

It is not that people are out to knock Cruz out - these are self-inflicted wounds and other wounds that are just from positioning in the race.  I think Cruz originally expected to try and capture the outsider vote (the vote now largely going to Trump), the vote against government and the political elite.  When Trump entered the race with his tremendous celebrity that threw his calculation - his positioning - awry.  He now had to try and form a base from the hardest, social conservatives and hope that Trump proved not viable - then he could move more toward the center and capture the Trump voters.  That didn't happen and Cruz is left with only his smallish base of hardline conservatives and it is beginning to bleed off, leaving him in third position in places he should be at least second.  He won the two counties that Trump did not win in Nevada last night - Rubio won nothing here yet still finished second (the two counties Cruz won are very rural - and as conservative as anywhere in the nation - and have the lowest population of any counties in Nevada).  In South Carolina, Cruz lost a majority of evangelicals.  It's just slipping away for him...and if the very anecdotal comments I heard last night at caucus from Cruz voters bears any significance, the main bulk of Cruz voters (who are evangelicals) are going to go to Trump not to Rubio.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 07:42:58 pm »
It is not that people are out to knock Cruz out - these are self-inflicted wounds and other wounds that are just from positioning in the race.  I think Cruz originally expected to try and capture the outsider vote (the vote now largely going to Trump), the vote against government and the political elite.  When Trump entered the race with his tremendous celebrity that threw his calculation - his positioning - awry.  He now had to try and form a base from the hardest, social conservatives and hope that Trump proved not viable - then he could move more toward the center and capture the Trump voters.  That didn't happen and Cruz is left with only his smallish base of hardline conservatives and it is beginning to bleed off, leaving him in third position in places he should be at least second.  He won the two counties that Trump did not win in Nevada last night - Rubio won nothing here yet still finished second (the two counties Cruz won are very rural - and as conservative as anywhere in the nation - and have the lowest population of any counties in Nevada).  In South Carolina, Cruz lost a majority of evangelicals.  It's just slipping away for him...and if the very anecdotal comments I heard last night at caucus from Cruz voters bears any significance, the main bulk of Cruz voters (who are evangelicals) are going to go to Trump not to Rubio.

I agree, Cruz should have adjusted in August and got more populist. Sometimes his debating skills work against him in this environmetnt. That and his campaign team seem like they came from Michelle Bachmann's and Ron Paul's old team.

I think Cruz can right himself, but he's got to change his game.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 09:01:49 pm »
Kasich is too preachy, to Bush Compassionate Conservative for my taste. He needs to lay of the pseudo-evangelical moralizing and get back to the old John of the 90's.

So no one's perfect.  But the perfect is the enemy of the good.  And there's another enemy of the good - Donald Trump - that is determined to give it all away to the Dems.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 11:32:40 pm »
So no one's perfect.  But the perfect is the enemy of the good.  And there's another enemy of the good - Donald Trump - that is determined to give it all away to the Dems.   

Did you listen to Kasich at all earlier in the campaign? Hell, he was almost running left of Hillary Clinton. And who gave his state Obamacare? Conservative? Not lately!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Carling

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 11:34:09 pm »

As a Cruz supporter, I have to agree with what you say.  When he drops out and endorses Trump, I'll follow that endorsement.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Carling

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 11:36:16 pm »

I see Boehner when I look at Kasich.  He did get a whopping 4% in Nevada, though, and only trails Trump by 5 points in Ohio in the latest poll!

Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 12:10:17 am »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/270621-poll-cruz-leads-trump-by-15-points-in-texas

New poll finds Cruz retains huge lead over Trump in Texas

By Mark Hensch
Feb. 24, 2016

Ted Cruz has a wide lead over Donald Trump in Texas ahead of his home state's GOP presidential primary on Super Tuesday, according to a new poll.

Cruz commands a 15-point edge over Trump in the Houston Public Media/University of Houston survey released Wednesday. That's in contrast to a separate survey released Wednesday, which showed Trump trailing Cruz by 1 point. Cruz topped the billionaire 29 percent to 28 percent in the Emerson College poll released earlier that morning.

The Real Clear Politics average of Texas polls shows Cruz about 5 points ahead in the Lonestar State.

About 35 percent of likely Texas Republican primary voters plan on backing Cruz, pollsters found in the Houston Public Media survey. Trump ranks second with 20 percent, followed by 8 percent for Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and 7 percent for retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson.
Former Gov. Jeb Bush (R-Fla.), who ended his White House run last weekend, edged past Ohio Gov. John Kasich at the bottom of the rankings. About 19 percent remain undecided, pollsters added.

Wednesday’s Houseton Public Media results also found that likely GOP primary voters in Texas are fairly loyal toward their favored contender ahead of next week’s vote.

About 47 percent “strongly support” their pick, while 44 percent “somewhat support” them instead. Another 7 percent are making their selection because they “dislike the other candidates.

Houston Public Media/University of Houston conducted its latest sampling of 415 likely Republican primary voters in Texas via interviews from Feb. 12-22. It has a 4.8 percent margin of error.

The outspoken billionaire has won three out of four early voting contests after his success in Nevada late Tuesday night. Cruz remains the only other Republican White House hopeful who has tasted victory following Iowa's first-in-the-nation caucuses earlier this month.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 12:13:09 am »
This poll doesn't look good, but the poll sample is small. So, given the margin of error, Trump could be up by 9 or down by 13.
The sample is too small=grasping for straws.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 12:13:59 am »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/270621-poll-cruz-leads-trump-by-15-points-in-texas

New poll finds Cruz retains huge lead over Trump in Texas

By Mark Hensch
Feb. 24, 2016

Ted Cruz has a wide lead over Donald Trump in Texas ahead of his home state's GOP presidential primary on Super Tuesday, according to a new poll.

Cruz commands a 15-point edge over Trump in the Houston Public Media/University of Houston survey released Wednesday. That's in contrast to a separate survey released Wednesday, which showed Trump trailing Cruz by 1 point. Cruz topped the billionaire 29 percent to 28 percent in the Emerson College poll released earlier that morning.

The Real Clear Politics average of Texas polls shows Cruz about 5 points ahead in the Lonestar State.

About 35 percent of likely Texas Republican primary voters plan on backing Cruz, pollsters found in the Houston Public Media survey. Trump ranks second with 20 percent, followed by 8 percent for Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and 7 percent for retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson.
Former Gov. Jeb Bush (R-Fla.), who ended his White House run last weekend, edged past Ohio Gov. John Kasich at the bottom of the rankings. About 19 percent remain undecided, pollsters added.

Wednesday’s Houseton Public Media results also found that likely GOP primary voters in Texas are fairly loyal toward their favored contender ahead of next week’s vote.

About 47 percent “strongly support” their pick, while 44 percent “somewhat support” them instead. Another 7 percent are making their selection because they “dislike the other candidates.

Houston Public Media/University of Houston conducted its latest sampling of 415 likely Republican primary voters in Texas via interviews from Feb. 12-22. It has a 4.8 percent margin of error.

The outspoken billionaire has won three out of four early voting contests after his success in Nevada late Tuesday night. Cruz remains the only other Republican White House hopeful who has tasted victory following Iowa's first-in-the-nation caucuses earlier this month.

And I would point out that this poll was done before the governor's endorsement today.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 12:15:46 am »
The sample is too small=grasping for straws.

It's an outlier.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 12:26:54 am »
Cruz' has modified his style of delivery from preachy, to snarling-growling.

He overdoes it, and sounds phony as a three dollar bill.