Author Topic: San Bernardino shooting victims' families will file brief backing government over Apple  (Read 1226 times)

rangerrebew

February 22, 2016
San Bernardino shooting victims' families will file brief backing government over Apple
By Rick Moran

At the apparent urging of the Justice Department, the families of the victims of the San Bernardino terrorist attack will file a brief supporting the government in its case against Apple.

The government wants Apple to decrypt the iPhone of one of the terrorists, but Apple is refusing based on its notions of privacy.

Reuters:

Stephen Larson, a former federal judge who is now in private practice, told Reuters that the victims he represents have an interest in the information which goes beyond the Justice Department's criminal investigation.

"They were targeted by terrorists, and they need to know why, how this could happen," Larson said.

Larson said he was contacted a week ago by the Justice Department and local prosecutors about representing the victims, prior to the dispute becoming public. He said he will file an amicus brief in court by early March.

A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment on the matter on Sunday.

Larson declined to say how many victims he represents. Fourteen people died and 22 others were wounded in the shooting attack by a married couple who were inspired by Islamic State militants and died in a gun battle with police.

Entry into the fray by victims gives the federal government a powerful ally in its fight against Apple, which has cast itself as trying to protect public privacy from overreach by the federal government.

An Apple spokesman declined to comment. In a letter to customers last week, Tim Cook, the company's chief executive, said: "We mourn the loss of life and want justice for all those whose lives were affected," saying that the company has "worked hard to support the government’s efforts to solve this horrible crime."

Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey said in a letter released on Sunday night that the agency's request wasn't about setting legal precedent, but rather seeking justice for the victims and investigating other possible threats.

"Fourteen people were slaughtered and many more had their lives and bodies ruined. We owe them a thorough and professional investigation under law. That's what this is," Comey wrote.

The FBI is seeking the tech company's help to access shooter Syed Rizwan Farook's phone by disabling some of its passcode protections. The company so far has pushed back, arguing that such a move would set a dangerous precedent and threaten customer security.

Apple has gone too far out on a limb to back down now, which is unfortunate.  To some of us, it's incomprehensible why Apple would make a stand for privacy in this specific instance.  To my mind, the issue is cut and dried – especially since the company has apparently cooperated with government in 70 other cases.  If they can open a phone for cops looking into a drug crime, why not a terrorism case?

The brief that will be filed on behalf of families makes Apple's P.R. efforts far more complicated.  In fact, there may come a point to where standing on the privacy principle will cost them far more in customer goodwill and loyalty than giving in and helping the government in its investigation.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/02/san_bernardino_shooting_victims_families_will_file_brief_backing_government_over_apple.html#ixzz40vMpyW2q
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I would back the victims' families.

BTW candidate Cruz has taken the Rand Paul position on national security, whereby terrorists rights stand above dead American citizens.

Yet another unwise Cruz position. But I am certain at the end of the day, slick lawyer-orator-pastor that he is he can argue both sides and take them at advantageous times to him.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

This is going to be interesting to watch. Apple has billions of dollars it can spend on lawyers. Cruz is on Apples side?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
At the apparent urging of the Justice Department
That's all I needed to know.

This is coercion.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

The brief that will be filed on behalf of families makes Apple's P.R. efforts far more complicated.  In fact, there may come a point to where standing on the privacy principle will cost them far more in customer goodwill and loyalty than giving in and helping the government in its investigation.

Yes. The government is good at waving the bloody shirt.  Trot out the victim's families.  Draw tears.

Apple is going to win this.  The author is wrong.  The Apple community backs Apple.

The government screwed this up by changing the password when it got custody of the phone.  Now it wants to force a private business to cover for its mistakes.

Any information on that phone, three months after the fact, is likely worthless.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline flowers

That's all I needed to know.

This is coercion.
The L.A. radio station I listen to on Friday quoted one of the victims mother. She is on Apples side.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The only resolution for this can come from the U.S. Supreme Court.
I'm guessing that before too long, the case gets put on a fast track in just that direction.

The underlying issue is too important to the nation's future.
This is a classic test of individual privacy vs. "the government's" right to know.

In a way, it's fitting that Apple -- one of the world's richest companies, and a flag-carrier of "progressive" ideas -- is now embroiled with the most progressive government America has yet had. The "corporate left" vs. the -real- "left".

As Mr. Spock might observe, "an interesting test of power".
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:38:41 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline flowers

The only resolution for this can come from the U.S. Supreme Court.
I'm guessing that before too long, the case gets put on a fast track in just that direction.

The underlying issue is too important to the nation's future.
This is a classic test of individual privacy vs. "the government's" right to know.

In a way, it's fitting that Apple -- one of the world's richest companies, and a flag-carrier of "progressive" ideas -- is now embroiled with the most progressive government America has yet had. The "corporate left" vs. the -real- "left".

As Mr. Spock might observe, "an interesting test of power".
I read someplace and cannot find it, Apple sells its product in China. No way Chinese let those phones in country without watching them?  That would mean Apple has a way into those phones and gave the Chinese government a way to monitor them. This will help Apples sales I am thinking, acting like they are fighting the US gov. This will go to SC. They will rule however teamobama wants them to. Apple cares not a wit about privacy. If they did they wouldn't sell in China would they?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:52:08 am by flowers »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The L.A. radio station I listen to on Friday quoted one of the victims mother. She is on Apples side.
One of fourteen?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

I read someplace and cannot find it, Apple sells its product in China. No way Chinese let those phones in country without watching them?  That would mean Apple has a way into those phones and gave the Chinese government a way to monitor them. This will help Apples sales I am thinking, acting like they are fighting the US gov. This will go to SC. They will rule however teamobama wants them to. Apple cares not a wit about privacy. If they did they wouldn't sell in China.

Not true.  Apple came to an agreement with China and the government has a hands off approach to Apple's security.

But, you can bet that if the US govt. forces Apple to fold, China and Russia will demand the very same thing.  That's why Apple has to stand on principle here, even if it loses.

If Apple doesn't care about privacy, why is it sticking its neck out like this?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Not true.  Apple came to an agreement with China and the government has a hands off approach to Apple's security.

But, you can bet that if the US govt. forces Apple to fold, China and Russia will demand the very same thing.  That's why Apple has to stand on principle here, even if it loses.

If Apple doesn't care about privacy, why is it sticking its neck out like this?

I see it as the government demanding that a private company compromise their product...a feature highly prized by both Apple AND their consumers.

In addition, once Apple commits financial Seppuku, an additional insult is the competition gets the information.

It's not right.

Bring the phone to Apple and have a Federal Marshall stand over them.  Make copies of the existing data before it's handed over to the tech.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

I see it as the government demanding that a private company compromise their product...a feature highly prized by both Apple AND their consumers.

In addition, once Apple commits financial Seppuku, an additional insult is the competition gets the information.

It's not right.

Bring the phone to Apple and have a Federal Marshall stand over them.  Make copies of the existing data before it's handed over to the tech.

That may be what the court orders, but Apple is standing on a principle here.  Apple knows that, if it is forced to compromise its security for ANY REASON, it can be made to compromise its security for any reason.  And that China and Russia will demand the very same thing.

Obama's been itching to break these encryption codes.  I don't think the DOJ will accept even the restriction you posit.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:17:46 am by sinkspur »

Offline flowers

One of fourteen?
  Yes the mother of one of the 14. You live in area. It  Tim Conway Jr. show kfi640am. The show on Friday. His show has a free podcast.  Her son was 40 years old.

Offline sinkspur

Here's more. Apple is not the ogre here:

Offline katzenjammer

As more and more comes out, it sounds like gubmint screwed up...  imagine that!   :shrug:

Offline sinkspur

As more and more comes out, it sounds like gubmint screwed up...  imagine that!   :shrug:

Yep. And now the government wants to force Apple to fix its screwups.

Offline katzenjammer

And I am also beginning to believe there is more credence in the theory that they are using this phone (the County-owned, work phone, as you have pointed out) as a ploy to force Apple into creating a backdoor into iOS.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:42:05 am by katzenjammer »

Offline sinkspur

And I am also beginning to believe there is more credence in the theory that they are using this phone (the County-owned, work phone, as you have pointed out) as a ploy to force Apple into creating a backdoor into iOS.

Of course they are.  The FBI will never agree to Apple recovering the data alone.