Author Topic: Trent Lott: I’d have thrown out Cruz for ‘liar’ speech  (Read 348 times)

Offline flowers

Trent Lott: I’d have thrown out Cruz for ‘liar’ speech
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:58:46 pm »
http://thehill.com/video/campaign/268468-trent-lott-id-have-thrown-out-cruz-for-liar-speech

Trent Lott (R-Miss.) says he would take a hard line with Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) if he was still running the Senate.

Cruz, a presidential candidate, assailed Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) in a floor speech last year, accusing him of lying about a deal related to the Export-Import Bank.

ADVERTISEMENT
Lott, who served as Senate majority leader in 2002, suggested Cruz’s speech was beyond the pale.

"Having been majority leader, I’ve never had someone stand on the Senate floor and call me a liar,” Lott said in an interview with The Hill's Molly K. Hooper. “In fact, if I had been in the Senate at that time I would have moved to have him removed from the Senate chamber physically.”

Lott, who is now co-chair of the public policy practice at Squire Patton Boggs, talks 2016 politics and his preferred candidate, Ohio. Gov John Kasich (R), in the video above.

Online andy58-in-nh

Re: Trent Lott: I’d have thrown out Cruz for ‘liar’ speech
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:49:50 pm »
McConnell lied to his face, as he has to many others over the years, and Cruz was brave to call him on it.

I tend to believe Ted Cruz in this matter far more than I do the word of Mr. Lott, a high-paid insider lobbyist whose routine dealings include promising large sums of money to such as Mitch McConnell in exchange for promoting legislation favorable to Lott's firm's patrons.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:55:12 pm »
McConnell lied to his face, as he has to many others over the years, and Cruz was brave to call him on it.

I tend to believe Ted Cruz in this matter far more than I do the word of Mr. Lott, a high-paid insider lobbyist whose routine dealings include promising large sums of money to such as Mitch McConnell in exchange for promoting legislation favorable to Lott's firm's patrons.

===========================

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:56:45 pm »

It was low class of Cruz to accuse McConnell of that in public.  A non-showboating, non-presidential candidate Senator would have confronted McConnell in private. But, as with everything Cruz, it's all about him.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 09:10:13 pm »
Chester has been irrelevant since 2002 with his Strom Thurmond  segregationist platform in 1948 brain fart comment.

"If the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either"

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 09:10:33 pm »
It was low class of Cruz to accuse McConnell of that in public.  A non-showboating, non-presidential candidate Senator would have confronted McConnell in private. But, as with everything Cruz, it's all about him.

Why don't you tell us how you know Mr. Cruz didn't do exactly that before he took it to the floor of th senate Sink?  I believe that Cruz has said that he did so and was ignored.

I applaud Cruz for confronting that POS  McConnell in public!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 09:11:40 pm »

If he weren't running for President, Cruz may well have confronted McConnell in private. Fair enough. But it's long past time someone had the guts to call the guy out - he's been dishonest with his own party's members for years, and has sabotaged Republican candidates that he doesn't think will play along, as I have been told directly by at least one of them.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Paladin

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 09:13:52 pm »
"I applaud Cruz for confronting that POS  McConnell in public!"

Ditto that. The far bigger issue here is that McConnell lied, not that he was called out for it.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 09:19:45 pm »
Why don't you tell us how you know Mr. Cruz didn't do exactly that before he took it to the floor of th senate Sink?  I believe that Cruz has said that he did so and was ignored.

I applaud Cruz for confronting that POS  McConnell in public!

He did say that and was lied to..therefore he called him out in public.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 09:28:34 pm »

Are you serious?  McConnell lied to get legislation passed that was harmful to us, and you feel he shouldn't have been called on it? 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 09:29:02 pm »
A liar should be called out, publicly or otherwise.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org