Author Topic: Lawmakers Introduce Bill to Require Women to Register for the Draft  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Paladin

"Reps. Duncan Hunter (R., Calif.), a Marine Corps veteran, and Ryan Zinke (R., Mt.), a former Navy SEAL commander, introduced the legislation Thursday after military leaders indicated their support for requiring women to register for the Selective Service.

In announcing the bill, Hunter blamed the Obama administration’s “irresponsible” decision to open up all combat jobs to women for forcing the debate about women and the draft.

“If this administration wants to send 18-20-year-old women into combat, to serve and fight on the front lines, then the American people deserve to have this discussion through their elected representatives,” Hunter said in a statement. “This discussion should have occurred before decision-making of any type, but the fact that it didn’t now compels Congress to take an honest and thorough look at the issue.”

“It’s unfortunate that a bill like this even needs to be introduced,” the congressman added. “And it’s legislation that I might very well vote against should it be considered during the annual defense authorization process.”

The bill, “Draft America’s Daughters Act of 2016,” would amend the Military Selective Service Act to apply to female citizens and residents of the United States ages 18 to 26. It would require women to register for the Selective Service no less than 90 days after the measure is enacted or 90 days after Defense Secretary Ash Carter officially certifies to Congress that all combat jobs are open to women."

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/lawmakers-introduce-bill-to-require-women-to-register-for-the-draft/
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline aligncare

Re: Lawmakers Introduce Bill to Require Women to Register for the Draft
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:41:14 am »

Beyond words can express, I hate integrating women in combat MOS's. Support positions, yes. Direct enemy contact responsibilities, no, no, no, no!

Duncan is correct. A societal conversation must occur. These are our daughters. Feminists are going to have to make allowances for this one biological imperative, this one gender role imposition: on the ground and on the seas, the role of warrior must remain to men.

(I leave the subject of fire and police for another time. Don't get me started.)

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:53:57 am »
Beyond words can express, I hate integrating women in combat MOS's. Support positions, yes. Direct enemy contact responsibilities, no, no, no, no!

Duncan is correct. A societal conversation must occur. These are our daughters. Feminists are going to have to make allowances for this one biological imperative, this one gender role imposition: on the ground and on the seas, the role of warrior must remain to men.

(I leave the subject of fire and police for another time. Don't get me started.)

We won't have the conversation unless and until everyone feels the "pain".
As it is right now, a very small minority of women are dictating what is going on and the rest are ignoring it because it "does not apply to me".
The same thing is happening with the military overall, because my kids are not going to sign up, the abuse of the military is ignored and is borne by the .1% of the population that is answering the call.
Everyone has to share the load or those that do will be taken advantage of.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:35:50 pm »
It is sex discrimination to make men register for the draft but not women.  If the ladies want equality, give them equality in the liabilities too.  In fact, women should have to be drafter at a higher percentage to make up for all those years men sacrificed their lives while women did not have to.

Right on the money. Let them fight the next 300 years of wars. Hell, the fireworks from a class action suit on behalf of male draftees would be a hoot.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 05:31:39 pm »
they have been wanting this for decades.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 06:23:05 pm »
Be careful what you wish for feminists....
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:30:48 pm »
Be careful what you wish for feminists....

Exactly.  I didn't see that they were going to make a discrimination for feminists vs regular women. 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 07:41:20 pm »
Exactly.  I didn't see that they were going to make a discrimination for feminists vs regular women.

Then the "regular" women need to stand up and have their say.
If a man objects, well you know what happens...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 08:01:32 pm »
Then the "regular" women need to stand up and have their say.
If a man objects, well you know what happens...

Well, I have sons and daughters.  Speaking only from an emotional POV, I would say that if you're going to draft my sons, best draft your daughters too.  And, when I calmed down, I would say that except for apocalyptic situations, women probably shouldn't be in the front lines and I wouldn't want my daughters there.

But - why do we have a draft?  We have more than enough applicants and a very fine volunteer army.  Get rid of the damned draft; it's a tool of big government.*

* If we get into a big, declared war, then we can have the discussion about reintroducing it or not.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:36:13 pm by Sanguine »

Offline flowers

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 08:20:14 pm »
the left has been wanting the draft for as long as i can remember. right now we have people in the military who love this country and want to fight for it. the draft takes that away.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 08:50:05 pm »
right now we have people in the military who love this country and want to fight for it.

And the ones that hate it are tearing it apart and treating the vets like crap....
No, I want the draft.  If one serves, then we all serve.