Author Topic: Obama Visits Mosque: ‘Islam Has Always Been Part of America’  (Read 858 times)

rangerrebew

Obama Visits Mosque: ‘Islam Has Always Been Part of America’

US President Barack Obama speaks at the Islamic Society of Baltimore, in Windsor Mill, Maryland on February 3, 2016. / AFP / Mandel Ngan (Photo credit should 
by Charlie Spiering3 Feb 20164,368

President Obama spoke warmly about Islam during his speech at a mosque today, highlighting the contributions that Muslims had made to the fabric of American society.

“Islam has always been part of America,” he said, detailing the beginnings of the religion among African slaves brought to America. He also pointed out that Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Virginia statute for religious freedom that the “Mohammedan” should have his faith protected in the United States.

Obama met with Muslim leaders during a visit to the Islamic Society of Baltimore, before delivering a speech there. This is Obama’s first visit to a mosque as president – although George W. Bush also visited a mosque in New York City after the attacks of 9/11.

During his speech, he praised the religion for being a religion of peace – not the hate preached by groups like ISIS.

“The very word Islam comes from ‘Salam’ – peace,” he said. “The standard greeting is ‘As-Salaam-Alaikum’ – ‘Peace be upon you,’” he explained. “Like so many faiths, Islam is rooted in a commitment to compassion and mercy and justice and charity. “Whoever wants to enter paradise, the prophet Mohammad taught, let him treat people the way he would love to be treated,” he said as the audience applauded.

“For Christians like myself, I’m assuming that sounds familiar,” he continued.

Obama has frequently defended Muslim Americans – even meeting with leaders at private event at the White House last year. This is the biggest public display of support for the Muslim American community – cited by White House aides as a response to the anti-refugee and anti-Muslim rhetoric on the campaign trail from Republicans like Donald Trump.

Obama reminded the audience that political opponents of Thomas Jefferson accused him of being a Muslim. “So I was not the first,” he said lightly as the audience laughed. “It’s true. Look it up. I’m in good company.”

Obama pointed out that the founding fathers also supported the religion of Islam.

“Jefferson and John Adams had their own copies of the Koran,” he said. “Benjamin Franklin wrote, that even if the Mufti of Constantinople were to send a missionary to preach to us, he would find a pulpit at his service.”

He also recalled the history of mosques in America – pointing out that the oldest surviving mosque was in Iowa and that the first American mosque was built in North Dakota.
Obama also urged Christians to defend Muslim-Americans when their religion was under attack.

“If we’re serious about freedom of religion – and I’m speaking now to my fellow Christians, who remain the majority in this country – we have to understand, an attack on one faith is an attack on all our faiths,” he said.

He demanded that Americans stop profiling Muslims and treating them differently because of their faith – criticizing political rhetoric for inflaming hatred against the Muslim community.
“We have to reject a politics that seeks to manipulate prejudice or bias and targets people because of religion,” he said.

He specifically addressed young Muslim Americans, urging them not to grow cynical.
“Let me say it as clearly as I can, as President of the United States, you fit in here. Right here. You’re right where you belong. You’re part of America too,” he said.

According to photos on Twitter of the speech, the audience in the mosque was segregated – men in one section and women in a special balcony.

As Obama concluded his speech, he said, “May God’s peace be upon you and God Bless the United States of America.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/03/obama-visits-mosque-islam-has-always-been-part-of-america/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:06:09 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline flowers

Re: Obama Visits Mosque: ‘Islam Has Always Been Part of America’
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:11:18 pm »
 :nometalk:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:11:55 pm »
Christians like myself.   :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »
I guess he's right...we've been fighting islam since we were a country.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:29:41 pm »
:patriot:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:16:35 am »
Obama Visits Mosque: ‘Islam Has Always Been Part of America’

No.
It hasn't.

Stop lying.
But then.... you can't.

taqiyya ...

Offline Paladin

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 01:18:14 am »

Lol
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:22:02 am »
"During his speech, he praised the religion for being a religion of peace"

Yeah, about that your Lordship:

"While the U.S. news media applaud President Barack Obama’s plan to visit a mosque in Baltimore, Maryland, on Wednesday to discuss Muslims’ historical contributions to America, Obama and his sycophants failed to even mention how Islamic terrorists in Nigeria torched and burned to death more than 80 children over the weekend.

According to a police counterterrorism expert, John McHugh, members of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria’s (ISIS’s) Nigerian affiliate known as Boko Haram used firebombs on a village’s homes and laughed as they heard the screams of children, some of them infants, burning to death in their huts.

When police and soldiers finally arrived, they were met with a crime scene filled with charred corpses as well as bullet-riddled bodies littering the streets of Dalori Village and two nearby refugee camps that housed more than 20,000 refugees. The village and refugee camp are only a few miles from the original Boko Haram stronghold which is biggest city in the northeast section of the African country that is predominately Christian."

http://conservativebase.com/7110973/nigerian-islamists-burning-86-children-alive-met-with-obama-silence/

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:22:42 am by Paladin »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 09:46:24 am »

Obama: ‘For More Than a Thousand Years People Have Been Drawn to Islam’s Message of Peace’

(CNSNews.com) - President Barack Obama said today in a speech at the Islamic Society of Baltimore that one fact that has not been “communicated on a regular basis through our media” is that “for more than a thousand years people have been drawn to Islam’s message of peace.”

“Whoever wants to enter paradise, the Prophet Mohammad taught, let him treat people the way he would love to be treated,” Obama said. “And for Christians like myself I am assuming that sounds familiar.”

Here is an excerpt from the president’s speech:

“This is a moment when as Americans we have to truly listen to each other and learn from each other. And I believe it has to begin with a common understanding of some basic facts.

"And I express these facts, although they would be obvious to many of the people in this place, because unfortunately it’s not facts that are communicated on a regular basis through our media.

"So let’s start with this fact: For more than a thousand years people have been drawn to Islam’s message of peace.  And the very word itself, Islam, comes from “salaam”--peace. The standard greeting is “salaam alaikum”--peace be upon you. And like so many faiths, Islam is rooted in a commitment to compassion and mercy and justice and charity. Whoever wants to enter paradise, the Prophet Mohammad taught, let him treat people the way he would love to be treated.

"And for Christians like myself I am assuming that sounds familiar."

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/cnsnewscom-staff/obama-more-thousand-years-people-have-been-drawn-islams-message-peace

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 03:39:57 pm »
lying jug eared son of a bitch  :#@$%: :bsflag:

Islam has not contributed a damn to this country or to civilization for that matter
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 03:49:01 pm »

I like your style. Short. Succinct. Spot on.
 :beer:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 01:00:26 am »
What's next?  Islam history month?

Offline Paladin

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 02:15:06 am »
What's next?  Islam history month?

Way to go, RIV, you have just given the Obama admin a splendid new idea for how America can show its obeisance to Islam. For my contribution, I recommend the month for this be September.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 03:06:01 am »
When I read a tripe headline like this, I feel lucky that I can simply skip the rest of it.

Instead of being like this guy:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 03:13:55 am »
Way to go, RIV, you have just given the Obama admin a splendid new idea for how America can show its obeisance to Islam. For my contribution, I recommend the month for this be September.

Oops.   :thud: