Author Topic: Donald Trump Promises to Build New White House Ballroom  (Read 2617 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Donald Trump Promises to Build New White House Ballroom
« on: February 01, 2016, 04:51:13 pm »
http://time.com/4201841/donald-trump-iowa-white-house-ballroom/

Donald Trump Promises to Build New White House Ballroom

Tessa Berenson / Sioux City, Iowa @tcberenson

Jan. 31, 2016

An unusual closing argument for the Iowa caucuses

In his final speech before Iowa caucus day, Donald Trump renewed his old promise to build a lavish White House ballroom and pay for it himself.

“Every time the top people come over from China … they put up a tent at the White House,” he said, during his final event Sunday in Sioux City, Iowa. “We’ll have a ballroom at the White House.”

He said he had long ago come up with a plan for the new facility. “We’ll get the top people, the top everything, we’ll have the best ballroom. Because I notice they always put tents up on the lawn. Number one, it’s not a good security thing. Number two, the guy that owns the tents is making a fortune,” he said.

Trump said he once called David Axelrod, a former senior adviser to President Obama, offering to build a ballroom worth “at least $100 million” for free. “We’ll put it someplace so it works contextually, magnificently,” Trump said of his construction offer. “I never heard back.”

Contacted by TIME Sunday night, Axelrod confirmed that Trump had contacted the White House about a ballroom. “He did offer to build one,” Axelrod confirmed to TIME in an email. “I don’t recall him saying he would pay for it. I passed his offer along to the social secretary.”

Read More: Why Trump Is Winning Over Christian Conservatives

This was not the first time Trump had made a new addition to the White House an issue in connection with his own presidential run. As far back as 2011, when Trump was flirting with a presidential campaign against Barack Obama, Trump had floated the idea of a White House ballroom on the Rush Limbaugh radio program. “We’ll go through committees. We’ll pick the one they like. We’ll pick the architect everybody likes. We’ll pick something that works. We’ll do 10 designs,” he said of his offer to the White House. “You’ll pick the one that’s the greatest with the greatest architecture. I will build it free. So that’s anywhere from 50 to 100 million-dollar gift. I will give that, and I mean, I’m talking, Rush — it’s the first time I’ve said this. I’m talking to the biggest person, one of the biggest people at the White House. I’m not talking to a low-level person.”

At his final event, Trump also attacked his main rival Texas Senator Ted Cruz during the Sioux City appearance, knocking him for a controversial mailer his team sent out designed to look like an official government document. “It’s so terrible, I’ve never seen anything like it,” Trump said. “It’s a fraud as far as I’m concerned.”

The latest Des Moines Register poll, released Saturday, found that Trump was leading the delegate race in Iowa, with 28% of likely caucus goers, compared with 23% for Cruz.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

Re: Donald Trump Promises to Build New White House Ballroom
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 04:59:27 pm »
He'll probably have to use Eminent domain to appropriate the land.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 05:41:53 pm »
He'll probably have to use Eminent domain to appropriate the land.

Or he could gut the building that houses the Department of Education and put it there.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 06:39:55 pm »
I'm sure this is something he doesn't know and he is throwing this out for an applause line, but this is something he doesn't make the decision on.  I believe the latest expansion of the briefing room and press rooms were something like 20 years in the making because of the Office of the Curator, the Washington DC Preservation Society, and several other organizations have authoritative control over this (not to mention Congress). Each President is afforded minor changes but long gone are the days of JFK putting in a bowling alley or Truman putting in stables. This is our most historical property and the President is given the honor of being a temporary resident- not its developer. 

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:07:55 pm »
Trump does nothing for "Free". Everything he does is transactional. If he really cared about the impression we give to the rest of the world, and it wasn't about him, he would either announce that he would do this whether he wins the election or not, or he would wait to announce this until after he was elected.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:30:10 pm »
some of the things he says....... :pondering:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:02:51 pm »
Or he could gut the building that houses the Department of Education and put it there.
In that case, I'm all for the Trump ballroom plan.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:10:32 pm »
That is a positive contribution to these discussions.

Substantive discussions of what to do and how to do it are so rare. I heard Carly Fiorina mention "Zero Based Budgeting" which was commonly discussed during Reagan's era. She also mentioned thousands of FedGov employees coming upon retirement and she said simply do not replace them.

Refreshingly different.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 08:11:10 pm »
In that case, I'm all for the Trump ballroom plan.
:laugh:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 08:24:53 pm »
some of the things he says....... :pondering:

I'll repeat my comparison to a bad child in school....

He needs attention, and he'll say anything to get it.  He doesn't care if it's good or bad attention, as long as people look at him.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:50:06 pm »

Substantive discussions of what to do and how to do it are so rare. I heard Carly Fiorina mention "Zero Based Budgeting" which was commonly discussed during Reagan's era. She also mentioned thousands of FedGov employees coming upon retirement and she said simply do not replace them.

Refreshingly different.

I like Carly as a potential VP candidate.  I think she'd have the gloves off regarding the HildeBeast.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 08:53:24 pm »

Refreshingly different.
Agreed.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 09:00:40 pm »
I'll repeat my comparison to a bad child in school....

He needs attention, and he'll say anything to get it.  He doesn't care if it's good or bad attention, as long as people look at him.....

You are  part of the  TRUMP haters and COWARDS. tell us what your candidate will do differently? :thud:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:50 pm »
You are  part of the  TRUMP haters and COWARDS. tell us what your candidate will do differently? :thud:
I'm pretty sure the other candidates have something a little less frivolous than a new WH ballroom atop their "to-do-if-elected" list.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 09:09:42 pm »
Longiron, cool it with the "COWARDS" and "haters" flaming, OK?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 09:11:56 pm »
I like Carly as a potential VP candidate.  I think she'd have the gloves off regarding the HildeBeast.

I'd love to see Carly as the VP pick.  The only thing is that she won't get to debate Hillary, and I'd pay lots of good money to see that!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 01:14:50 am »
I'd love to see Carly as the VP pick.  The only thing is that she won't get to debate Hillary, and I'd pay lots of good money to see that!

I was so hoping for a Hillary Fiorina debate the first time we saw her dominate the GOP debates. She would kill Hillary. Sad it won't happen. But maybe there is a cabinet position for her.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn