Author Topic: Josh Earnest may have gotten himself in a whole heap of trouble with comments on Hillary email scandal  (Read 1430 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Josh Earnest may have gotten himself in a whole heap of trouble with comments on Hillary email scandal

January 30, 2016

The oleaginous White House press secretary, Josh Earnest, was trying to dampen down any concern over the news that 22 emails on Hillary Clinton’s server were so sensitive that nothing at all could be released.  But instead, he opened a can of worms that will make things worse and could even lead to a subpoena (and no doubt a claim of executive privilege.  Boy, I am starting to get a severe case of Watergate déjà vu.).

First, the question and statement, via the Weekly Standard:

A [Fox News] reporter [Kevin Corke] asked, "Can you say with certainty and confidence that Secretary Clinton will not be indicted because of this email scandal?"

"That will be a decision made by the Department of Justice and prosecutors over there," said Earnest. "What I know that some officials over there have said is that she is not a target of the investigation. So that does not seem to be the direction that it's trending. But I'm certainly not going to weigh in on a decision or in that process in any way. That is a decision to be made solely by independent prosecutors but again, based on what we know from the Department of Justice, it does not seem to be headed in that direction."

There are two very big dangers here.

It would be entirely improper for the White House to be in communication with the Justice Department over an ongoing criminal investigation.  This would constitute political interference.  A congressional committee could well issue a subpoena for Earnest, which would raise the Watergate flag when executive privilege likely would be claimed.

Second, this claim is likely to infuriate the FBI and those DoJ prosecutors with integrity.  The normally staid ace reporter Catherine Herridge used the expression “super pissed off” to describe it to Greta Van Susteren.

Video at link.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/01/josh_earnest_may_have_gotten_himself_in_a_whole_heap_of_trouble_with_comments_on_hillary_email_scandal.html
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

I was listening to satellite radio when Catherine Herridge said "super pissed off".  I was shocked, I really was.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline flowers

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Ha, congressional subpoena!  My skinny ass.  The Republicans tremble in fear and submission.

Political interference is SOP in the despotic America of 2016.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline aligncare

I was listening to satellite radio when Catherine Herridge said "super pissed off".  I was shocked, I really was.

'Pissed off' is now acceptable. Sean Hannity uses it all the time. So is ass, bitch, bastard, and Trump is Hitler... :silly:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Ha, congressional subpoena!  My skinny ass.  The Republicans tremble in fear and submission.

Political interference is SOP in the despotic America of 2016.

I would agree with you for so long as the current administration is running things. If we get someone like Ted Cruz running things next year things WILL change in that regard!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
I would agree with you for so long as the current administration is running things. If we get someone like Ted Cruz running things next year things WILL change in that regard!

He's going to have to be willing to fire a lot of career employees in agencies...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
He's going to have to be willing to fire a lot of career employees in agencies...

Maybe not so many as you might imagine.  A few and the others will get the message REAL quick!

- J. R. R. Tolkien