Author Topic: Pentagon Tells Senate it Won't Demote Retired Gen. Petraeus  (Read 407 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pentagon Tells Senate it Won't Demote Retired Gen. Petraeus
« on: January 30, 2016, 11:13:00 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=711976

Newsmax
Saturday, January 30, 2016 01:08 PM

The Pentagon says it will not demote retired Army Gen. David Petraeus, who pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of mishandling classified information while CIA director, an incident stemming from an affair with his biographer.

"The Army completed its review of his case and recommended no additional action," Stephen C. Hedger, assistant defense secretary for legislative affairs, wrote the Senate Armed Services Committee on Friday. Given that review, Hedger said Defense Secretary Ash Carter "considers this matter closed."

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the letter Saturday. The Pentagon had no further comment.

Media reports had surfaced that indicated the Pentagon was considering downgrading Petraeus to a three-star general. Such a move, if taken, would have reduced his retirement salary.

In response, committee leaders urged Carter not to demote Petraeus, saying the retired officer had "admitted his guilt and apologized for his actions."

At a committee hearing on Jan. 21, President Barack Obama's nominee to be the Army's top civilian official said he believed no further action should be taken against Petraeus.

Petraeus resigned from the CIA in November 2012 after an extramarital affair with biographer Paula Broadwell. He pleaded guilty last year to a misdemeanor count of unlawful removal and retention of classified materials. He was spared prison as part of his plea and was given two years' probation by a judge who faulted him for a "serious lapse in judgment."

Petraeus admitted that he loaned Broadwell eight binders containing highly classified information regarding war strategy, intelligence capabilities and identities of covert officers. Petraeus kept the binders in an unlocked desk drawer at his home, instead of a secure facility that's required for handling classified material.

When initially questioned by the FBI, he denied having given Broadwell classified information, but in his plea deal he avoided being charged with making a false statement.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Pentagon Tells Senate it Won't Demote Retired Gen. Petraeus
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:20:25 pm »
Wrong decision. It sends the wrong message, totally. Anyone further down the food chain who did that would be skinned alive and rolled in salt. It's bad enough he copped a plea deal.

How the hell can you hold troops to a high standard if the same standards don't apply to you?

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 11:44:09 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=711976

Newsmax
Saturday, January 30, 2016 01:08 PM

The Pentagon says it will not demote retired Army Gen. David Petraeus, who pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of mishandling classified information while CIA director, an incident stemming from an affair with his biographer.

Demoting people after retiring them? Isn't that like double-jeopardy? I have never heard of such a thing,and didn't even know it was possible. I thought they would have to call you back on active duty,and then court-martial you in order to reduce you in rank after retirement. Am I wrong on this?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 11:45:47 pm »
Wrong decision. It sends the wrong message, totally. Anyone further down the food chain who did that would be skinned alive and rolled in salt. It's bad enough he copped a plea deal.

How the hell can you hold troops to a high standard if the same standards don't apply to you?

Good points,but they should have hammered him while he was still on active duty. Once he is retired,it's a done deal. If they find NEW charges to file against him they can call him back on AD to court-martial him,but other than that I think it is "case closed".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 11:55:44 pm »
You may be right from a legal standpoint - our militaries differ in some details.

Yet I hold that

a) the infraction started while he was still active duty.
b) senior officers should be held to a higher standard. They hold the power of High, Middle, and Low justice over the troops. The sword at their necks should be equally sharp.

It's a pity. Never heard a bad word about him while he was head honcho of MNF-I, something you can't say about many commanding generals!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:57:08 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink