Author Topic: Grow Up! How can anyone be for this spoiled brat?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Grow Up! How can anyone be for this spoiled brat?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 01:18:20 am »
I know you have me on ignore because you didn't like the way I responded to your incessant insults, but you're making the wrong assumption here that calling Trump a demagogue is hyperbolic and irrational.

It is neither.  It is an accurate observation based on reason.

I absolutely agree! And I'm sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 01:22:04 am »
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

George Orwell, Animal Farm

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2016, 02:56:32 pm »
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

George Orwell, Animal Farm

The desire for a Strong Man leader is a powerful and at times, a nearly universal human impulse, especially in the face of physical chaos and civil unrest. But even less dire social conditions can occasion the rise of Napoleons large and small: a generalized perception that the Social Contract has been broken chief among them.

When people in a democratically-elected republic come to believe in large numbers that they have been serially deceived, denied their rights (however understood), disrespected and mistreated by the people they have entrusted to protect them, and when a society's mediating social institutions have withered to the point of ineffectiveness, it is natural that a person or two or three will emerge promising some form of national restoration - a return to normalcy, if not to Greatness.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:05:20 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2016, 03:09:08 pm »
The desire for a Strong Man leader is a powerful and at times, a nearly universal human impulse, especially in the face of physical chaos and civil unrest. But even less dire social conditions can occasion the rise of Napoleons large and small: a generalized perception that the Social Contract has been broken chief among them.

When people in a democratically-elected republic come to believe in large numbers that they have been serially deceived, denied their rights (however understood), disrespected and mistreated by the people they have entrusted to protect them, and when a society's mediating social institutions have withered to the point of ineffectiveness, it is natural that a person or two or three will emerge promising some form of national restoration - a return to normalcy, if not to Greatness.

I agree that it is natural but WE are supposed to be smarter than to fall for it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 03:22:47 pm »
I think it comes down to a question of whether a person supports a dysfunctional federal government, an effective federal government, or shrinking government.  I have always preferred shrinking government to effective government.  I prefer a federal government that protects our rights as citizens to one that is effective, but compromises individual liberty and state autonomy under the 10th amendment.  So if you tell me that Trump will be effective in implementing the things he wants (unlimited imminent domain power for the Feds, nationalized health care, more control over our lives) I think I might prefer dysfunction.