Author Topic: Trump Won't do Debate  (Read 16994 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Trump Won't do Debate
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2016, 01:30:29 pm »
Well, this is absolutely fascinating!  Get the popcorn out.  Roger Ailes doubled down tonight with quite a nasty-gram to go with his nasty-gram from earlier.  First National Review now Fox News.  It will be interesting how Trump fires back, I expect when he does it won't lack for boldness.  Fox is out there pretty far on a limb too, will their audience hold up?  Or will peace be made?

CNN has been all Trump all the time for the last three hours.  They are having a Trump love fest. The media is not a monolith, there is always an outlet that will love when a competitor is in a kerfuffle.

Damned entertaining, most entertaining campaign in memory...usually they are dull as dry toast.

Exactly as I suggested on page 1.    :laugh:  He's a freaking marketing genius.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2016, 02:02:38 pm »
He rebukes the networks for making millions while boasting of his billions. Oh...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2016, 02:19:22 pm »
He rebukes the networks for making millions while boasting of his billions. Oh...

A veritable walking contradictory conundrum.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2016, 02:32:39 pm »

Consistency and truth have no bearing on Donald Trump's life or words.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2016, 02:33:08 pm »
What debate did not have gotcha questions or biased moderators?  And we complained. Candidates complained.  But I don't remember any of them pouting about it and running away. Until now.

Not to shock anyone, but presidential campaigns employ strategic thinking. At the heart of that is the question, do debates make a difference?

Other candidates before have skipped debates. Some have even faired well despite their refusals to debate. Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter all had refused debate.

Ronald Reagan skipped the last debate before the Iowa caucuses in 1980. He lost Iowa to George HW Bush, but went on to win the primary and a general election landslide victory.

Perhaps Trump has reasoned he can take a page from Reagan's history and make it work for him.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2016, 02:37:28 pm »
I finally figured out who he reminds me of!  Jesse Ventura.

Same flashiness, same approach to media and potential voters, same weirdly fascinating charisma, same inexplicable vindictiveness to those whom he perceives as a threat.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2016, 02:46:46 pm »
I finally figured out who he reminds me of!  Jesse Ventura.

Same flashiness, same approach to media and potential voters, same weirdly fascinating charisma, same inexplicable vindictiveness to those whom he perceives as a threat.

LOL! Perfect!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2016, 02:47:22 pm »
Exactly ... Trump is still whining.  8888crybaby

Was Reagan whining when he refused to debate George HW Bush before the Iowa caucuses in 1980? Was he afraid to debate George HW Bush? Was Reagan disrespecting the voters of Iowa, as Ted Cruz accused Donald Trump of doing?

No, he wasn't. His campaign calculated they didn't need the debate for Reagan to win.

Hyperbole and phony outrage aside, this may have been a very smart move on the part of Donald Trump.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2016, 02:50:04 pm »
Was Reagan whining when he refused to debate George HW Bush before the Iowa caucuses in 1980? Was he afraid to debate George HW Bush? Was Reagan disrespecting the voters of Iowa, as Ted Cruz accused Donald Trump of doing?

No, he wasn't. His campaign calculated they didn't need the debate for Reagan to win.

Hyperbole and phony outrage aside, this may have been a very smart move on the part of Donald Trump.

We'll soon see how good the TRump folks are at political calculus won't we!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2016, 02:56:30 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2016, 02:59:02 pm »
The big, bad Donald is afraid of girls.  Who knew??   :silly:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline aligncare

« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2016, 02:59:48 pm »

They can mock Donald J Trump all they want, but denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:06 pm »
aligncare - Trump says he isn't going to the debate because Megyn Kelly wasn't "FAIR" to him.

THIS is the man you really want to lead the country?

This whole idiocy reinforces the fact that bullies are always insecure.  He's afraid, he's needy, he's pathetic.

But he IS getting more attention, and that's what he clearly needs.

PATHETIC.

Online libertybele

« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2016, 03:06:43 pm »
I'll stand by my assessment.  Not only is Trump a whiner, he is a liberal coward.  Afraid to debate Cruz and afraid of Megyn Kelly.  :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2016, 03:06:58 pm »
Oh........... and I'm hoping against hope that he finally is being honest about not showing up, and we can watch an adult debate for a change.

Of course, he's probably lying................ AGAIN.

Just a publicity stunt............................  AGAIN.

He's pathetic with a capital P.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »

From what I've read so far (and when I get off my phone and on a real computer I'll check), Reagan skipping wasn't due to a calculation or a tantrum over a moderator but due to weather. He was in Chicago or some sort that morning and the airports had bad delays due to snow. (this is from internet comments I've read in response to articles so take that for what its worth...)

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2016, 03:08:06 pm »
It will be interesting to see how the other candidates handle his absence. 
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2016, 03:09:34 pm »
LOL! Perfect!  :beer:

Yes.  Yes, it is.
John Steinbeck

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2016, 03:12:20 pm »
Not to shock anyone, but presidential campaigns employ strategic thinking. At the heart of that is the question, do debates make a difference?

Other candidates before have skipped debates. Some have even faired well despite their refusals to debate. Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter all had refused debate.

Ronald Reagan skipped the last debate before the Iowa caucuses in 1980. He lost Iowa to George HW Bush, but went on to win the primary and a general election landslide victory.

Perhaps Trump has reasoned he can take a page from Reagan's history and make it work for him.

It is troubling to me that people are so willing to accept the media dictating the who, when where and how of our presidential elections.
Just more of the old go along to get along, don't stand up for what you believe you have too much to lose.....
Arlington National Cemetery is full of people who had the courage to stand up for what is right...

Offline aligncare

« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2016, 03:15:23 pm »

I post facts, like the fact that Ronald Ragan skipped the last debate before the Iowa caucuses in 1980, and all I get back from you'all in return is emotional hyperbole.

No one sees fit to comment on the fact that Ronald Reagan did the exact same same thing as Donald Trump is now doing.

Crickets, people, crickets. Afraid to face the truth? Donald J Trump = Ronald Wilson Reagan.

(maybe that'll get a response from the cowards afraid to debate me on this point)

Anyone up to the challenge?

I thought not.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2016, 03:18:27 pm »

Yeah, that's it. It was snowing in Iowa. That's what kept Reagan from coming to the debate.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2016, 03:19:07 pm »
I post facts, like the fact that Ronald Ragan skipped the last debate before the Iowa caucuses in 1980, and all I get back from you'all in return is emotional hyperbole.

No one sees fit to comment on the fact that Ronald Reagan did the exact same same thing as Donald Trump is now doing.

Crickets, people, crickets. Afraid to face the truth? Donald J Trump = Ronald Wilson Reagan.

(maybe that'll get a response from the cowards afraid to debate me on this point)

I thought not.

Yes Reagan skipped that debate but it sure as hell wasn't because he was afraid of a moderator or anyone else on that stage!

There is the difference!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2016, 03:19:59 pm »
It is troubling to me that people are so willing to accept the media dictating the who, when where and how of our presidential elections.
Just more of the old go along to get along, don't stand up for what you believe you have too much to lose.....
Arlington National Cemetery is full of people who had the courage to stand up for what is right...

Sorry, Ed, but in spite of your attempt to elevate this, Trump is refusing to go to the debate because he said Megyn Kelly isn't "FAIR."

That's not courage by ANY definition.

In fact, it's at the extreme opposite end of the spectrum.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2016, 03:21:24 pm »
Yes Reagan skipped that debate but it sure as hell wasn't because he was afraid of a moderator or anyone else on that stage!

There is the difference!

That doesn't matter.  Reagan skipped a debate.  Trump skips a debate.  They're equal.   **nononono*

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2016, 03:33:24 pm »

I thought not.

And what happened when Reagan skipped the debate for whatever reason?

Bush won and grabbed the momentum. If Reagan hadn't got damned lucky in the NH debate, he'd have likely lost the nomination.

Hang on - why the hell am I complaining?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:35:11 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink