Author Topic: Dangerous Winter Storm Jonas to Bring Crippling Snowstorm, Major Ice Threat; Blizzard Warnings for D.C., Baltimore  (Read 7745 times)

Offline musiclady

Off the doggie topic, but this is the most recent photo of the cars in our son's neighborhood........

They've disappeared tonight!!   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
There's no way....... NO way.......... anyone living anywhere near DC is going to get into the city Monday, IMO.  When I think of our son's neighborhood in MD, it probably won't get plowed for days.  He takes the metro into work, but the above ground part of it will probably be closed for a few days too.

The world will be saved from the US government at least ONE day this month.  :patriot:

Enjoy a couple of days off work, then.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
:bighug: :kisses2:  If I lived alone I would have more than one poochie. God Bless Ya! My present dog and the last one I had was not wanted.  They both great dogs. My present one is my avatar here.

That's a handsome dog!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I've got two rescue buddies, one dumped by the side of the road in a Texas July, and the other one was about to be put down at the pound.  A little minpin with heartworms.  We got through that, and even though he's ancient, he's been a great friend.  And, the other guy grew up to 106 lbs, and is just a fantastic dog.  Tries to figure out what I want and then tries to do it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
have him in my house as we speak ...I have one dog  already but will  likely keep this guy if I cant find a home for him

You're a good man.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

You're a good man.  :beer:

I took in a stray dog once. Came home from work next day, feathers everywhere. Then it hit me. My prized Bufflehead duck mount always sat on the edge of my desk and I had simply neglected to think through the details of having a new dog in the house.

8888crybaby

I still cry to this day.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I took in a stray dog once. Came home from work next day, feathers everywhere. Then it hit me. My prized Bufflehead duck mount always sat on the edge of my desk and I had simply neglected to think through the details of having a new dog in the house.

8888crybaby

I still cry to this day.

Reminds me of the vintage mink stole (the kind that has the whole minks clipped to each other) I used for part of a Halloween costume once.  I hung it on the back of the chair and went to work the next day, came home and my cats had drug it to the other end of the house, chewed on it and tore it up.

8888crybaby

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Hundreds Struggle While Stranded On Pa. Turnpike
January 23, 2016 6:47 PM By Bob Allen

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – For some of us, being holed up at home is bad enough. But some travelers were stuck on the Pennsylvania Turnpike for nearly 24 hours. The westbound lanes were cluttered with tractor-trailers Saturday.

Some had jackknifed, others got stuck in the snow. Truckers and other drivers ran into problems on the steep hill just before the Allegheny Mountain Tunnels near Bedford.

“Authorized service has been working at pulling them out all night,” said John Maurer with the PA Turnpike.

‘It’s just one after a another truck stuck it’s just non-stop and don’t seem like where getting anywhere, to be honest,” said Brandon Moore with the Herring Motor Company.

The vehicles had been stuck so long they were each surrounded by a foot of snow. The storm started last night and cars have been waiting — since last night.

Efforts to tow the vehicles and reopen the highway were hampered by never-ending snow combined with freezing temperatures. As a result, the westbound lanes became a parking lot with hundreds of buses, trucks and passenger vehicles waiting in the cold overnight.

“We were at Breezewood at five o’clock last night and we sat for an hour and we’ve been sitting ever since,” said Nancy Weber.

“This is horrible, we’ve been stuck in the truck for 13 and a half hours and still counting,” said Suzy Jensen.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/01/23/hundreds-struggle-while-stranded-on-pa-turnpike/
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Hundreds Struggle While Stranded On Pa. Turnpike
January 23, 2016 6:47 PM By Bob Allen

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – For some of us, being holed up at home is bad enough. But some travelers were stuck on the Pennsylvania Turnpike for nearly 24 hours. The westbound lanes were cluttered with tractor-trailers Saturday.

Some had jackknifed, others got stuck in the snow. Truckers and other drivers ran into problems on the steep hill just before the Allegheny Mountain Tunnels near Bedford.

“Authorized service has been working at pulling them out all night,” said John Maurer with the PA Turnpike.

‘It’s just one after a another truck stuck it’s just non-stop and don’t seem like where getting anywhere, to be honest,” said Brandon Moore with the Herring Motor Company.

The vehicles had been stuck so long they were each surrounded by a foot of snow. The storm started last night and cars have been waiting — since last night.

Efforts to tow the vehicles and reopen the highway were hampered by never-ending snow combined with freezing temperatures. As a result, the westbound lanes became a parking lot with hundreds of buses, trucks and passenger vehicles waiting in the cold overnight.

“We were at Breezewood at five o’clock last night and we sat for an hour and we’ve been sitting ever since,” said Nancy Weber.

“This is horrible, we’ve been stuck in the truck for 13 and a half hours and still counting,” said Suzy Jensen.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/01/23/hundreds-struggle-while-stranded-on-pa-turnpike/

Ugh.  I left work a bit early on Friday to avoid this very problem.  I was on that turnpike just about an hour before the storm hit.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
And this after warnings to stay off the highways.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

Offline alicewonders

Full moon tonight and l love the patterns that the solar lights are making on the snow!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Full moon tonight and l love the patterns that the solar lights are making on the snow!

Great photos, Alice!  That gnome looks sort of menacing though.

Offline alicewonders

Great photos, Alice!  That gnome looks sort of menacing though.

LOL!  That's a rabbit! 

Edited to add:  There actually IS a gnome out there, but he is completely covered in snow.   :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:02:59 am by alicewonders »

Offline Paladin

Ugh.  I left work a bit early on Friday to avoid this very problem.  I was on that turnpike just about an hour before the storm hit.

A wise decision. You get a

There is one story from out of the travel problems on the Pennsylvania Turnpike which is rather nice, I think.

"SOUTHWESTERN PA (CNN/Archdiocese of Omaha) - Some travelers stranded by the monster storm in Pennsylvania are turning to a higher power.

They held a mass by the state’s turnpike Saturday.

Some 500 vehicles got stranded there, causing a seven-mile backup.

Drivers couldn’t go anywhere for almost 24 hours before traffic started moving Saturday night.

The mass was led by about 300 Catholic students who were also stranded there.

A church official says some other drivers also joined in."

http://www.walb.com/story/31041826/stranded-students-lead-mass-on-pa-turnpike

It appears some of the participants were stranded while on the way home from the March for Life.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
LOL!  That's a rabbit! 

Edited to add:  There actually IS a gnome out there, but he is completely covered in snow.   :laugh:

If that rabbit is concrete, I have one just like it in my back yard!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:53:32 am by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

If that rabbit is concrete, I have one just like it in my back yard!

He is concrete!  Long lost twins!

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
He is concrete!  Long lost twins!

He has been in three backyards for me...over 20 years.  He gets a bow on Easter and Christmas.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

He has been in three backyards for me...over 20 years.  He gets a bow on Easter and Christmas.

I painted mine black, he looks like he is cast iron now.  Kind of a Goth rabbit.

Offline mountaineer

"SOUTHWESTERN PA (CNN/Archdiocese of Omaha) - Some travelers stranded by the monster storm in Pennsylvania are turning to a higher power. They held a mass by the state’s turnpike Saturday.

Some 500 vehicles got stranded there, causing a seven-mile backup. Drivers couldn’t go anywhere for almost 24 hours before traffic started moving Saturday night.

The mass was led by about 300 Catholic students who were also stranded there. A church official says some other drivers also joined in."

It appears some of the participants were stranded while on the way home from the March for Life.
Yes, a large group from Franciscan Univ. of Steubenville were stranded returning from the march for life. Some of the commenters on the Steubenville TV station's site complained about how stupid they were to be traveling when they knew the storm was coming, that it was a waste of money to free them from the snow, etc., but - curiously -  no one said the same thing about the various college sports teams whose buses also got stuck, e.g., the Duquesne Univ. men's basketball team.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I don't have pics, so I'm safe, but we sat out on the back deck last night and watched the moon.  I did have to wear a sweatshirt, but I get cold easily.   :smokin:

Offline katzenjammer

No pix for you, DC.  But don't feel so bad, we've got a sink full of white socks soaking in OxiClean as it has been so "chilly" down here that we've been forced to wear socks for a few days!   :smokin: