Author Topic: Notes on a Phenomenon [Mark Steyn]  (Read 499 times)

Offline Paladin

Notes on a Phenomenon [Mark Steyn]
« on: January 10, 2016, 04:52:23 am »
The phenomenon is Donald Trump and this is Steyn's commentary on a rally he attended for Trump in Vermont (Mark calls it "Berniestan"), and his candidacy in general.

Steyn praises Trump for his spontaneity, humor, and folksiness. Despite being known as very rich, Trump gets the attendees to identify with him, and not in the phony customary way attempted by most politicians (think Hillary).

The piece is, as usual, seeded with a number of examples of Steyn humor, but I shall select but one to illustrate this:

"If the national GOP is a vehicle for ensuring that John Boehner, Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan have a car and driver and a Gulf emir-sized retinue, then it's very effective. If it's a vehicle for advancing conservative principles, then it's a rusted-up lemon on cinder blocks. At an event with Newt Gingrich about a decade ago, one of my neighbors asked why the Republicans were so ineffectual. Newt said it was because they're still getting used to being the majority party. Somebody responded, "So the Iraqis are supposed to get the hang of self-government after six months, but the Republican Party still can't manage it after ten years?"

Recommended: http://www.steynonline.com/7408/notes-on-a-phenomenon
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: Notes on a Phenomenon [Mark Steyn]
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 05:14:43 am »
Just damn...and what is the case against Trump? He's too rude - we have immigrants and Muslims...Muslims...telling us we are racists and telling us what our values should be.  He's really a Democrat...based on things he said years ago - and what the F is a Republican...a real one...anyway? One that collects K Street lucre and votes for that Frankenstein's Monster 1.8 Trillion budget that gives the Democrts everything they want?  One that enables the passage of Obamacare then votes to repeal it when they know absolutely their effort must fail?  And they have the Gaul to say Trump is a shill for Hillary when he is the only candidate - the only one - to take her on directly and shut her up.  Poltroons. That is what they are.

/rant
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 05:37:31 am »
From the article:

On Thursday, because of Obama, gun control was in the news. Trump's pushing back on that, too:   "You know what a gun-free zone is to a sicko? That's bait."

Gotta love him!   88devil

(The article's long .... but well worth the read)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 06:05:36 am »
Just damn...and what is the case against Trump? He's too rude - we have immigrants and Muslims...Muslims...telling us we are racists and telling us what our values should be.  He's really a Democrat...based on things he said years ago - and what the F is a Republican...a real one...anyway? One that collects K Street lucre and votes for that Frankenstein's Monster 1.8 Trillion budget that gives the Democrts everything they want?  One that enables the passage of Obamacare then votes to repeal it when they know absolutely their effort must fail?  And they have the Gaul to say Trump is a shill for Hillary when he is the only candidate - the only one - to take her on directly and shut her up.  Poltroons. That is what they are.

/rant

:amen: :amen: :amen:

Thank you Scott!  Truer words were never spoken. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 06:26:13 am »
From the article:

Gotta love him!   88devil

(The article's long .... but well worth the read)

Steyn is brilliant and blows the whole lie that people that like Trump are crazy stupid.    :laugh:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 09:11:02 am »
Trump is very lightly staffed, and entirely unmanaged...There's none of that around Trump. He's meandering around back there shooting the breeze, posing for pics, totally relaxed - and so are his press secretary and campaign manager, too.

That's a big part of Trump's appeal. He's not manicured. Genuine, warts included.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:04:17 am »

Mark Steyn understands me and what I care about as much as any conservative pundit out there. His take on a Trump rally is worth the read.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 02:45:48 pm »
Steyn is brilliant and blows the whole lie that people that like Trump are crazy stupid.    :laugh:

Yes he is, and yes he does!   ^-^

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 12:25:33 am »
Nice article, I read it earlier today.

Steyn:
=====
"The headline in Friday's local paper read: "BURLINGTON TRUMPED". That's what his fans liked. In the liberal heart of a liberal state, the supporters streaming out of the Flynn Theatre, waving genially to the social-justice doofuses across the way, couldn't recall a night like it. Not in Vermont. In New Hampshire, sure. In South Carolina. But not in Vermont. It felt good to be taking it to the other side's turf. And they'd like a lot more of it between now and November."
=====

Can you imagine ANY other of the Republican candidates going to the heart of enemy territory like this?

Who's going to win?
Seriously?