Author Topic: House passes ObamaCare repeal, sending measure to president  (Read 3436 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House passes ObamaCare repeal, sending measure to president
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:19:47 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/264980-house-passes-obamacare-repeal-sending-measure-to-obamas-desk

By Peter Sullivan - 01/06/16 05:48 PM EST

The House on Wednesday passed legislation that would repeal much of ObamaCare and defund Planned Parenthood for one year, sending the measure to President Obama's desk.

The bill passed by a vote of 240 to 181. Rep. Collin Peterson (Minn.), who opposes abortion rights, was the only Democrat to vote for the measure. Reps. Bob Dold (Ill.), Richard Hanna (N.Y.) and John Katko (R-N.Y.), who all hail from swing districts, were the only Republicans to vote against it.

Obama is certain to veto the measure, but Republicans touted the vote as important step toward reversing the Affordable Care Act and the expansion of government it created.

“We are confronting the president with the hard, honest truth: ObamaCare doesn’t work,” Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Wednesday.

Republicans were able to get the repeal bill through the Senate, where Democrats had filibustered previous efforts, by using the fast-track process known as reconciliation. The tool allowed Republicans to advance the bill with a simple majority.

Democrats denounced the measure on the House floor, repeatedly invoking the roughly 16 million people enrolled in ObamaCare programs.

They pointed to an analysis of the repeal bill from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office that found it would result in about 22 million fewer people having health insurance in the years after 2017. 

“I’ve never been able to understand the great zeal to take healthcare away from people,” said Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.).

Republicans say they are playing the long game with the repeal vote, hoping it will give voters a glimpse of how they would govern if they win back the White House in November. All of the GOP’s presidential hopefuls have expressed support for rolling back the law.

Democrats scoff at the idea of a Republican replacement for ObamaCare.

“If this were a serious effort, you’d at least have offered an alternative,” said Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.).

Republicans have for years promised to replace the healthcare law, but so far have not coalesced around a replacement plan.

Ryan says that’s about to change. He has asked his committee chairmen to work on crafting a single plan from the dozens of replacement bills that have been put forward in the House.

Republicans also plan to discuss an ObamaCare alternative at their retreat in Baltimore next week.

Asked why a replacement was not put forward on Wednesday, Ryan responded: “Just wait.”

In the meantime, Republicans appear confident that they have the upper hand on the issue, with polls showing the law remains unpopular with the majority of the public.

Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), a doctor and leading Republican voice on healthcare, on Tuesday criticized ObamaCare plans for their high deductibles, saying that while people have gained coverage, they often still cannot afford care.

“Premiums are up, deductibles are up,” Price said. “I get calls from my former physician colleagues almost weekly telling me that patients in their office are now electing not to get care because they can’t meet their deductible.”

Rep. Bruce Westerman (R-Ark.), a freshman lawmaker invited to speak at the GOP leadership press conference Wednesday, denounced the law’s expansion of Medicaid as “one of the most egregious parts of ObamaCare.”   

He said Medicaid, the government insurance program for the poor, is traditionally for the “aged, blind and the disabled,” but that ObamaCare wrongly expanded it to people who are “working age” and “able-bodied.”

The healthcare law allows states to cover people at or below 133 percent of the federal poverty line under Medicaid, which is about $32,000 for a family of four. Some states have rejected the expansion.

The reconciliation bill now headed to the White House does not repeal all of ObamaCare, because the rules under reconciliation forced Republicans to pick and choose.

Still, the bill scraps some of the Affordable Care Act’s central elements, including the expansion of Medicaid and the federal subsidies that help people buy private coverage. The repeal of both items is delayed until 2018, which Republicans say would give them time to put a replacement in place. 

The measure also scraps the mandates for individuals to have health insurance and for employers to provide it, as well as repealing a range of taxes, such as those on medical devices and high-cost health insurance plans. 

Finally, the bill cuts off federal funding to Planned Parenthood for one year. The bill would also provide $235 million in extra funding for community health centers, which Republicans say could fill the gap left by Planned Parenthood.

“We've been at this, what, for five years now,” Ryan said Tuesday night on Fox News’s “Hannity.” “We finally found what I think is the smart strategy to be able to get a bill on [Obama’s] desk.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: House passes ObamaCare repeal, sending measure to president
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:32:00 pm »
Huseein will veto it, but so what?  Let him veto it.  They need to swamp his desk and keep him busy... “We are confronting the president with the hard, honest truth: ObamaCare doesn’t work,” Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Wednesday." ... The candidates running need to confront America with the hard, honest truth:  Obama policy hasn't worked and Hillary's policies are nothing but more of the same.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:35:20 pm »
My congressman's comment on Facebook:

Today Congress used a unique procedural approach to break the obstruction and gridlock and send a bill to President Obama's desk that repeals Obamacare and stops taxpayer money for Planned Parenthood. Now the American public will be able to see clearly who is responsible for higher premiums, less choice, and more government control over their health care.

Republicans have fought to protect Americans from the harm caused by this law, casting dozens of votes to repeal, defund, and reform Obamacare. At every turn we have we been opposed by liberals determined to defend this disastrous law. Today we’ve finally gotten past that.

We are doing what we said we would do – using every tool at our disposal to remove the burden the health care law is placing on families across the country.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 12:04:16 am »

Today Congress used a unique procedural approach to break the obstruction and gridlock and send a bill to President Obama's desk that repeals Obamacare and stops taxpayer money for Planned Parenthood. Now the American public will be able to see clearly who is responsible for higher premiums, less choice, and more government control over their health care.

Republicans have fought to protect Americans from the harm caused by this law, casting dozens of votes to repeal, defund, and reform Obamacare. At every turn we have we been opposed by liberals determined to defend this disastrous law. Today we’ve finally gotten past that.

We are doing what we said we would do – using every tool at our disposal to remove the burden the health care law is placing on families across the country.

That is a very good statement. Let's see how much media play it gets!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 12:05:31 am »
Maybe Obama will cry when he vetoes it.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 12:13:46 am »
Maybe Obama will cry when he vetoes it.

Oh, I'm sure ... he will shed tears of joy!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:18 am »
Well, color me cynical....
Why now?  Who gains?
I am afraid this is just one huge carefully orchestrated circus for the folks back home....
See, we did something, you don't need Trump or Cruz.
Hope I am wrong.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 12:21:00 am »
An empty, meaningless gesture as everyone knew Obama would veto it, and there weren't enough votes to override the veto.

Note this little bit of slant from the report: "The bill passed by a vote of 240 to 181. Rep. Collin Peterson (Minn.), who opposes abortion rights..."
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:21:30 am »

Not quite.  The budget process could have done that, but y'all decided to not exercise your constitutionallyl authorized powers and handed it over to the executive branch.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 12:24:46 am »
Why now?  Who gains?
I am afraid this is just one huge carefully orchestrated circus for the folks back home....
Hope I am wrong.

Damned right it is!  They caught mortal hell back home during the Christmas break and are now trying to pull the wool over our eyes again but I'm still glad they did it!

They threw away their only REAL weapon when they passed the spending bill in November and everyone knows it!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:26:34 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 12:42:31 am »
"They threw away their only REAL weapon when they passed the spending bill in November and everyone knows it!"

Yeppers. The rest is "full of sound and fury signifying nothing."
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 01:17:28 am »
Does the Senate get a vote on this?

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 01:21:27 am »
Does the Senate get a vote on this?

Yes, uncle Harry gave them permission

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 01:24:28 am »
Yes, uncle Harry gave them permission

Thanks.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 01:34:50 am »
Paladin wrote above:
"An empty, meaningless gesture as everyone knew Obama would veto it, and there weren't enough votes to override the veto."

And with a drum roll and the clash of cymbals...
... time for GourmetDan to chime in with his copyrighted refrain!

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 01:37:57 am »
Day late.  Dollar short.

(No defunding Syrian refugees)

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 01:39:23 am »
Why now?  Who gains?
Hope I am wrong.

You and I are of a like mind.

Okay had to correct this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:51:52 am by aligncare »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 06:44:09 am »
Day late.  Dollar short.

(No defunding Syrian refugees)

Is that a joke?  Don't bother responding, it's rhetorical.

From 2011 until now conservatives have complained that even though the GOP knew Obama would VETO an Obamacare repeal it should be sent to his deck on principle.  Today it happened and conservatives still complain.  The unappeasable right strikes again.

Maybe Ryan should shave his beard, to placate the perpetually outraged right.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:00:52 am by Once-Ler »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 02:28:10 pm »
Maybe Ryan should shave his beard, to placate the perpetually outraged right.
He already did.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 02:35:03 pm »
An empty, meaningless gesture as everyone knew Obama would veto it, and there weren't enough votes to override the veto.

Note this little bit of slant from the report: "The bill passed by a vote of 240 to 181. Rep. Collin Peterson (Minn.), who opposes abortion rights..."

Did they note Peterson is a DEMOCRAT?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 02:37:11 pm »
Rep. Collin Peterson (Minn.), who opposes abortion rights, was the only Democrat to vote for the measure. Reps. Bob Dold (Ill.), Richard Hanna (N.Y.) and John Katko (R-N.Y.), who all hail from swing districts, were the only Republicans to vote against it

Right there in the rest of the sentence.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Paladin

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 03:37:25 pm »
From 2011 until now conservatives have complained that even though the GOP knew Obama would VETO an Obamacare repeal it should be sent to his deck on principle.  Today it happened and conservatives still complain.  The unappeasable right strikes again.

Could you provide documentation for that claim? I don't recall any great groundswell by Conservatives to send such a measure to Obama that was sure to fail. Apparently you do, however, so would you care to share it?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 03:51:52 pm »
Could you provide documentation for that claim? I don't recall any great groundswell by Conservatives to send such a measure to Obama that was sure to fail. Apparently you do, however, so would you care to share it?

I have personally said it a thousand times on this very forum and STILL think that is the proper course of action! That's what they promised repeatedly to do and that is exactly what they SHOULD do!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 04:07:21 pm »

Apparently Democrats are smarter then the GOPE. Democrats know how important these symbolic votes are. When Democrats are in the miniority, they fight for votes knowing they will lose, but show their voters "see this is what WE would do if we could".

The GOPe "vision" is to preemptive surrender on every issue of concern to their voter base so they "don't waste time". So after 7 years of following their Pre-emptive Surrender doctrine, the GOPe now wonder why their voters are pissed off?

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 04:09:40 pm »
Why YES GOPE, the voters actually expected you to follow thur on your promises

The Pledge to America is a list of proposed legislative items that the Republican Party promised to pursue in the 112th Congress if Republicans gained a majority of the seats in the U.S. House of Representatives in the November 2010 election.[1] The Pledge to America was written by Rep. Kevin McCarthy's staffer Brian Wild at the behest of House Republican leaders.[2] The Pledge to America was publicly released on September 23, 2010, at a hardware store in Sterling, Virginia.[3]

Contents

1 Main points
    2 Reactions
    3 Fundraising and electoral results
    4 Legislative results
    5 See also
    6 References
    7 External links

Main points

The pledge criticized the Obama administration, stating that "An arrogant and out-of-touch government of self-appointed elites makes decisions, issues mandates, and enacts laws without accepting or requesting the input of the many". It lists a number of issues, along with the Republican plan to solve them.

In the pledge, Republicans call for:

Extending the temporary tax cuts passed under President George W. Bush in 2001 and 2003 for all taxpayers, including those for those earning over $200,000 ($250,000 for married couples).
    A tax deduction for small businesses on up to 20 percent of their business income.
    A hold on all unspent funds authorized as part of 2009's stimulus bill or the 2008 TARP legislation.
    Roll back government spending to 2008 levels, to save $100 billion while exempting "seniors, veterans, and our troops" from cuts; this would entail cutting 21 percent of the $477 billion budgeted for domestic discretionary spending.[4]
    A hiring freeze on all federal agencies except those necessary to national security.
    A repeal of the 2010 health-care reform bill.
    Reform of medical liability and health insurance practices.
    A permanent ban on any federal funding for abortion.
    A requirement that Congress post all bills online three days before a vote.
    A requirement that lawmakers cite the specific constitutional authority that enables the legislation.
    A ban on trials on U.S. soil for detainees currently held at Guantanamo Bay.