Author Topic: Nikki Haley to deliver GOP response to State of the Union  (Read 1044 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Nikki Haley to deliver GOP response to State of the Union
« on: January 05, 2016, 09:30:25 pm »
Washington (CNN)South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley will deliver the Republican Party's official response to the State of the Union on January 12, a major test for someone considered to be a potential nominee for vice president.

"I was honored to be asked by (House Speaker Paul Ryan) and (Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell) to deliver the Republican address to the nation," Haley said in a statement Tuesday. "This is a time of great challenges for our country, but also of great opportunities. I intend to speak about both."

Haley, who is Indian-American, has long been seen as a rising star in the GOP eager to promote women of color. The speaking engagement following the president has bedeviled many other fresh faces in the GOP, however, and could pose a challenge to Haley as well.

The governor rose to prominence this summer when she helped take down the Confederate flag from the state's capitol grounds in Columbia.

"Nikki Haley has led an economic turnaround and set a bold agenda for her state, getting things done and becoming one of the most popular governors in America," Ryan said in a statement. "In a year when the country is crying out for a positive vision and alternative to the status quo, Gov. Haley is the exact right choice to deliver the Republican address to the nation."

Including Haley, Republican women have delivered the last three GOP responses -- Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa spoke in 2015 and Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington did so in 2014.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/05/politics/state-of-the-union-2016-republican-response-nikki-haley/index.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline libertybele

Re: Nikki Haley to deliver GOP response to State of the Union
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:49:33 pm »
I haven't watched or listened to a speech given by Hussein since he took office and I don't plan on spoiling my record on the 12th.   :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:59:52 pm »
Any Republican who willingly accepts the dreadful "response" is setting themselves up for a disaster.

Of course, if it were Donald Trump, he could really make it work. He'd demand an audience, which is something the President has, even if it's sometimes hostile.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:21:04 am »
I haven't watched or listened to a speech given by Hussein since he took office and I don't plan on spoiling my record on the 12th.   :silly:

I wish I had your stamina for willful ignorance.

I'm joking liberty.  It has been scientifically proven that watching the Kenyan's SOTU speech makes you dumber and wastes 90 minutes of your life, and I can personally attest that it makes your hair greyer.  Ratings for the SOTU have dropped every year since Hussein became President.  Only 31.7 million viewers tuned in last year despite it being covered by on 13 networks – ABC, Al Jazeera America, Azteca, CBS, CNN, Fox, Fox Business Network, Fox News Channel, Galavision, MSNBC, MundoFox and NBC – and tape-delayed on Univision.

In contrast Fox News alone got 24 million viewers for the first GOP debate 5 months ago.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 07:32:44 pm »
The speech will be at least 2 hours long.