Author Topic: Ted Cruz: Trump Will Let Deported Immigrants Back In, I Won’t  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Ted Cruz: Trump Will Let Deported Immigrants Back In, I Won’t
« on: January 05, 2016, 07:54:10 pm »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ted-cruz-trump-will-let-deported-immigrants-back-in-i-wont

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7GBsSMySJE

Ted Cruz said during an appearance in Iowa on Monday that there’s a difference between him and Donald Trump on immigration.

The Texas senator, who is leading the field of Republican presidential candidates in Iowa according to the latest polls, was asked by a man in the state if, like Trump, he believed that all undocumented immigrants should be deported.

Cruz replied, “Absolutely yes.”

“And in fact, look, there’s a difference,” said Cruz. “He’s advocated allowing folks to come back in and become citizens. I oppose that.”

Cruz is on a six-day trip around the state to shore up support for his candidacy. He made the remarks during an appearance in Boone. The video of the exchange was uploaded to YouTube on Tuesday.
Here’s a transript of the exchange:

QUESTIONER: Both you and Donald Trump are really strong on immigration, but he supports deporting all the illegal immigrants. Are you willing to say the same?

TED CRUZ: Absolutely, yes. We should enforce the law.

Q: All?

T.C.: We should enforce the law.

Q: Ok.

T.C.: And in fact, look, there’s a difference. He’s advocated allowing folks to come back in and become citizens. I oppose that.

Q: So no citizens and all of them?

T.C.: So, if you read I have a very detailed 11-page immigration proposal that’s on my website it’s TedCruz.org. It was designed with Steve King and Jeff Sessions were the two who sat down with me to prepare it and it is enforce the law across the board.

Offline libertybele

Re: Ted Cruz: Trump Will Let Deported Immigrants Back In, I Won’t
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:12:45 pm »
Go Ted!

Cruz 2016Reigniting the Promise of America!!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:18:48 pm »

I agree with Ted Cruz here. In fact, I think all immigration should be halted for a 20-30 year period, enough time for recent immigrants to assimilate.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 08:27:15 pm »
First, kudos to Cruz for showing cojones and upping the ante.  That takes guts in this environment.  Cruz is solid across the board.

But where are all the demagogues that came hard and fast against Trump, saying that you can't deport the illegals, that the country would never stand for it?  Are they laying in the weeds waiting for Cruz to become the front-runner?

It seems to me the voices we hear all the time come from those specifically trying to knock off a Republican front-runner in order to breed chaos internally and doubt in the independent-leaning conservatives.

But beyond the trolls and back to Cruz: This man is a first-rate candidate.

Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:40:41 pm »
First, kudos to Cruz for showing cojones and upping the ante.  That takes guts in this environment.  Cruz is solid across the board.

But where are all the demagogues that came hard and fast against Trump, saying that you can't deport the illegals, that the country would never stand for it?  Are they laying in the weeds waiting for Cruz to become the front-runner?

It seems to me the voices we hear all the time come from those specifically trying to knock off a Republican front-runner in order to breed chaos internally and doubt in the independent-leaning conservatives.

But beyond the trolls and back to Cruz: This man is a first-rate candidate.

Looks like Sinkspur was chased off.  I have no interest in smacking down Cruz although I think he is wrong here.  I will be satisfied with any Republican except Trump.

Trump has been the front runner for 8 months so we will have to wait to see if your untested conspiracy theory holds any water.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:58 pm »
Looks like Sinkspur was chased off.  I have no interest in smacking down Cruz although I think he is wrong here.  I will be satisfied with any Republican except Trump.

Trump has been the front runner for 8 months so we will have to wait to see if your untested conspiracy theory holds any water.

And I should note, Once-ler that you lead to a good point here - not everyone who disagrees with this policy or opposes Trump is a demagogue or is attempting to disrupt the Republican process.  I think what I wrote could lead that impression and that is not correct, nor is what I was trying to say.  It is just that the most bombastic and insulting voices we have heard this season have focused solely on Trump, even though Cruz maintains an even stronger position on this issue.  The only reasons I can see for that are that Trump is the front-runner and that Trump is a lightning rod for publicity.  My own little conspiracy musing is my own alone...simply wond'ring aloud.

...Bob Dylan

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:05:28 pm »
I agree with Ted Cruz here. In fact, I think all immigration should be halted for a 20-30 year period, enough time for recent immigrants to assimilate.

Exactly.  That's the way it had always been done in the past.  This wide open flood of immigrants that has been happening since the 1965 Hart–Celler Act, without pauses for assimilation, is unprecedented. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 09:08:04 pm »
But where are all the demagogues that came hard and fast against Trump, saying that you can't deport the illegals, that the country would never stand for it?

You can't.

Morally, you have the anchor baby problem - a ludicrous policy that you saddled yourself with, but it is there and bleeding heart idiots are going to scream if you try to deport the parents of an American citizen.

Economically, how big a contribution to the economy is the grey market? It's pretty damned big.

Financially - physically shifting 30 million reluctant people is going to cost - big time.

The BEST you are ever going to manage now is to get rid of some of the leeches and gang bangers. That's not nothing, but it's a far cry from all of them. The time to actually do this was back in Reagan's day, so, thanks Democrats?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 09:16:25 pm »
It is just that the most bombastic and insulting voices we have heard this season have focused solely on Trump, even though Cruz maintains an even stronger position on this issue.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm happy to admit that if I was consistent, I would complain that Cruz's policy on illegal immigration has evolved since Trump joined the race, but this is true of my candidate Rubio as well.  I don't think a wall, or mass deportation is the solution to the issue of illegal immigration, but the issue is ancillary to my big 3 issues...taxes, military, and abortion.  It is not a deal killer for me.

A public servant serves the people. I believe a candidate fitting his ideology to match his constituents is what a Representative Republican should do.  And doing or saying what ever he must to win is the first step to becoming a Representative. 

So if Cruz thinks he needs to get to the right of Trump to win...then that is what he should do.  With my blessings.

Go Cruz.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 09:27:47 pm »

And doing or saying what ever he must to win is the first step to becoming a Representative. 

This is true not just for Cruz, but for Trump as well.

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 09:30:18 pm »
You can't.

Morally, you have the anchor baby problem - a ludicrous policy that you saddled yourself with, but it is there and bleeding heart idiots are going to scream if you try to deport the parents of an American citizen.

Economically, how big a contribution to the economy is the grey market? It's pretty damned big.

Financially - physically shifting 30 million reluctant people is going to cost - big time.

The BEST you are ever going to manage now is to get rid of some of the leeches and gang bangers. That's not nothing, but it's a far cry from all of them. The time to actually do this was back in Reagan's day, so, thanks Democrats?

Well, if I were President ( :laugh:), I would start deporting the illegal criminals and low-lifes that get caught in the system.  I would make an announcement that on a certain date (I don't know, six months?  one year?) - we would now start filtering out the others - looking at driver's licenses, entitlements, etc.  Minors that are citizens by virtue of the anchor baby system will remain citizens, but will be deported with their family - free to return when they reach adult age if they pass a background check.   

In my announcement, I would explain that I am giving all of the other illegals that are keeping their noses clean - TIME.  They will be given time to self-deport, which means they will still be able to get in line when they return to their country and come in the right way.  The sooner they leave, the sooner they can get in line.  Anyone that stays after that deadline and is discovered and deported will not be able to come back in. 

Combine that with ferociously going after employers that hire illegals, cutting off benefits to illegals (except for emergency healthcare - in which case they are deported when able) and a good chunk of that problem will take care of itself.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 09:32:46 pm »
You can't.

Yes, and reading into this, you would say this regarding the position of Cruz as well as Trump.  Cruz' position on immigration is now stronger (harder) than Trump's position.  My issue was that many who criticized Trump in the harshest terms are far more muted when it comes to Cruz' harder-line policy.  That seems a dual standard of a very high order.  Personally, I would be happy with either position as it is a far cry better than what we have now...even if neither are ever perfectly implemented, their tone takes us in a better direction.

...Bob Dylan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 09:33:33 pm »
Ah, but that's why you'll never be President - you are FAR too sensible!  :beer:

It'd work. Sort of. Still be horrendously expensive and the anchor baby thing would still have the mushy headed dipshits up in arms, but it's workable.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:34:00 pm by EC »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 09:36:31 pm »
You can't.

Actually the Anchor Baby thing is entirely made up to begin with! There is NOTHING in our Constitutions that requires anything like that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 09:45:43 pm »
Many other times he has dodged questions concerning what to do with the illegals already here. It is only recently, probably in response to Trump, that he has hardened his position on illegals. This sounds more opportunistic rather than having the "cojones" in regards to immigration. In a GOP primary it doesn't take much cojones to just say "deport all of them".

I know it is not a popular position among conservatives, but I do not believe we should be blanket deporting all illegals. Border Control, is absolutely doable immediately. This should be our top priority before anything else is done. Criminal illegal immigrants at the same time should be permanently deported after serving their jail time.  AFTER our borders have been totally secured, then, and only then, we need to reach a consensus on the illegal immigrants who have been here a significant amount of time without criminal activity, beyond the criminal activity of entering the country without proper papers. I know we got burnt with previous laws to help the illegals, which is why we must first secure the border.  Anyway, I know most are not in agreement with me on this issue, but we are do agree on defeating Hillary and will come together after the primaries.

Yes, it is becoming more clear that it isn't quite as gutsy to say deport them all in the Republican contest.  To my thinking though, I was wrongly expecting that Cruz would be met with the same vitriol that Trump was from within the Republican Party, the same heated opposition that Trump received for his less-stringent policy pronouncements.  That Cruz is not met with the same level of heated opposition shows that either Republicans are moving on the issue or that there is a double standard (which is honestly hard to imagine too, given that Cruz is not very liked in the Party establishment either).  This leads me to wonder if Trump not only sucks the air out of the room, he's made himself the only game in town.

There have been many reasoned positions stated here - even on this thread - regarding the details of far better policies than we currently have (including yours here). Starting from a hard-line position will yield a better end result than the policies we see in place today, even if little in those positions is sustainable over the long-haul of negotiation and compromise.

...Bob Dylan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 09:46:01 pm »
Actually the Anchor Baby thing is entirely made up to begin with! There is NOTHING in our Constitutions that requires anything like that!

True, but you know well the old saying - the only thing more persistent than a bad law is a bad tradition.  :beer:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 09:46:53 pm »
Ah, but that's why you'll never be President - you are FAR too sensible!  :beer:

It'd work. Sort of. Still be horrendously expensive and the anchor baby thing would still have the mushy headed dipshits up in arms, but it's workable.

It would be expensive - plus, I left out letting Donald Trump be in charge of building a "very good" wall.  But, you could look at at as creating new jobs.

It won't fix itself overnight, but the important thing is to START fixing it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 09:51:36 pm »
It would be expensive - plus, I left out letting Donald Trump be in charge of building a "very good" wall.  But, you could look at at as creating new jobs.

It won't fix itself overnight, but the important thing is to START fixing it.

I'd vote for you!  Amazing.  You already have two supporters!   :beer:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline flowers

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 09:56:02 pm »
Stop paying them to be here. No more healthcare, free room and board free food etc. They will leave on their own. edit to spell.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:15:59 pm by flowers »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 09:58:06 pm »
I'd vote for you!  Amazing.  You already have two supporters!   :beer:

Someone needs to start a PAC for me!   :vote:

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 10:03:48 pm »
This is going to hurt Cruz, he should have left that part out.
We do not want to demonize the illegals, we just need to get our house in order, understand who is here and why.
The place to start is deporting those who do not belong here, then we can let those back in that have a real contribution to make.
Some of the illegals have houses and businesses and if we kick them out what happens to their assets?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 10:06:04 pm »
Stop paying them to be here. No more healthcare, free room and board free food etc. They will leave on there own.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:  :patriot:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:01 pm »
True, but you know well the old saying - the only thing more persistent than a bad law is a bad tradition.  :beer:

The most cogent comment on politics that I ever heard goes: it's very difficult for a president to make things better, but very easy for them to make things worse.

Look how easily Obama screwed things up.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 10:20:56 pm »
This is going to hurt Cruz, he should have left that part out.
We do not want to demonize the illegals, we just need to get our house in order, understand who is here and why.
The place to start is deporting those who do not belong here, then we can let those back in that have a real contribution to make.
Some of the illegals have houses and businesses and if we kick them out what happens to their assets?

I strongly disagree. If we take for example those illegals sitting in our prisons that we are supporting with hard earned tax payer dollars that have murdered, raped, or victimized in other ways legal American citizens; they should be DEPORTED and NEVER EVER be given a chance at citizenship NOR should they be given a chance at re-entry.

Those ILLEGALS that are here should be DEPORTED period.  They have broken our laws and should NOT be rewarded.  Yes, we most definitely need to get our house in order and first line of business is building a secure wall and our second line of business in regards to illegal immigration is mass DEPORTATION.  The only thing I might add to this is IF those who are here ILLEGALLY self-deport, they may under very limited circumstances provided that they meet certain criteria, but allowed back into this country after a period of 10 years; however they must apply for citizenship and be approved under the strictest of guidelines.

Illegals that have business and assets have obtained their business and assets ILLEGALLY.  Those businesses and assets should be seized and sold and the proper taxes and penalties paid.  Any further proceeds would be used to fund costs of deportation and erecting and maintaining the border wall.