Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143606 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2016, 09:41:50 pm »
Took one to school every World Series the Yankees were in [which meant all but 2 from 1951-1964]. Teacher would let us listen and report updates.

I hated the Yankees every one of those years.  (Except the first few since I was a toddler! But my Dad and older brothers sure did!).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2016, 09:42:44 pm »
Took one to school every World Series the Yankees were in [which meant all but 2 from 1951-1964]. Teacher would let us listen and report updates.

The math works if you include kindergarten or a few grade repeats!    :beer:

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2016, 09:53:12 pm »
The math works if you include kindergarten or a few grade repeats!    :beer:

1st grade, 1952. Graduated High School in 1964 [We lost to the Cardinals]. I GREW up with Mickey in Center Field, Yogi, Whitey and the rest of the crew.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Wingnut

« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2016, 10:04:40 pm »
1st grade, 1952. Graduated High School in 1964 [We lost to the Cardinals]. I GREW up with Mickey in Center Field, Yogi, Whitey and the rest of the crew.

Truly a golden age for Yankee baseball!  Whitey Ford. Don Larson. Jim Bouton!

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2016, 10:32:57 pm »
Truly a golden age for Yankee baseball!  Whitey Ford. Don Larson. Jim Bouton!

The hoot was Ryne Duren. He wore coke bottle glasses, threw warp nine, and was usually drunk. First warmup was invariably off the backstop. Batter bailed first pitch. Every time.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Wingnut

« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2016, 10:43:19 pm »
The hoot was Ryne Duren. He wore coke bottle glasses, threw warp nine, and was usually drunk. First warmup was invariably off the backstop. Batter bailed first pitch. Every time.

He sounds like The inspiration for Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn of Major League!!!

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2016, 11:08:28 pm »
He sounds like The inspiration for Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn of Major League!!!

Never thought of it, but you're right. The forgotten reliever was Luis Arroyo. He was Whitey's personal closer.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2016, 12:17:48 am »

Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Tony Kubek, Joe Pepitone, Elston Howard. Names that will reverberate in my head forever, especially after I got hit in the head with a fastball as a kid....

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2016, 08:22:57 pm »
Keith Emerson, progressive rock pioneer, dies at 71

Emerson, a keyboardist, first became famous as a member of The Nice, then became famous for his collaboration with Greg Lake and Carl Palmer. Emerson was as well-known for his virtuosity as he was for his showmanship and outrageous stunts, playing while performing unusual acrobatics and jamming things (often knives given to him by Lemmy Kilmister, also recently deceased) in between the keys of his synthesizer. Emerson, Lake & Palmer never formally broke up, instead bringing in guest musicians through the 1980s when one of the three could not be in the band full-time; in the 1990s, Emerson began more collaborations with Marc Bonilla.

Emerson died March 10. No cause of death was stated.

Story from UltimateClassicRock.com

Wikipedia

ELP's lone Top 40 U.S. hit, "From the Beginning"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epPMa5rq0U
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2016, 08:45:09 pm »
Well, heck:

Gogi Grant, The Queen of “The Wayward Wind,” Has Passed Away

Gogi Grant, best known for recording the classic American standard “The Wayward Wind,” has passed away according to her son Joshua Beckett. She was 91-years-old.

Gogi Grant was an Americana popular singer who was born in Philadelphia and moved to Los Angeles when she was 12-years-old. Though she would record numerous hit songs during the 1950’s, including her first Top 10 hit “Suddenly There’s A Valley” in 1955, and “When The Tide Is High,” “Who Are We,” and “You’re In Love” in 1956, it was her performance of “The Wayward Wind” written by Stanley Lebowski and Herb Newman that turned the song into an iconic American song....

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/gogi-grant-queen-of-the-wayward-wind-has-passed-away/

A-Lert

« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2016, 08:50:14 pm »
Well, heck:

Gogi Grant, The Queen of “The Wayward Wind,” Has Passed Away

Our family had "The Wayward Wind" on a 45. Sure seems to be  a spate of entertainer deaths recently.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2016, 09:26:17 pm »
Depressing to watch my fantasies yielding to the ravages of time and human mortality.  8888crybaby

Offline Paladin

« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2016, 09:31:14 pm »
Depressing to watch my fantasies yielding to the ravages of time and human mortality.  8888crybaby

Ok, maybe inappropriate for an obituary thread, but still...

Some of the artists of the 60's are revising their hits with new lyrics to accommodate aging baby boomers who can remember doing the "Limbo" as if it were yesterday.

They include:

Bobby Darin ---
 Splish, Splash, I Was Havin' A Flash

Herman's Hermits ---
 Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Walker

Ringo Starr ---
 I Get By With A Little Help From Depends

The Bee Gees ---
 How Can You Mend A Broken Hip?

Roberta Flack---
 The First Time Ever I Forgot Your Face

Johnny Nash ---
 I Can't See Clearly Now

Paul Simon ---
 Fifty Ways To Lose Your Liver

The Commodores ---
 Once, Twice, Three Times To The Bathroom

Procol Harem---
 A Whiter Shade Of Hair

Leo Sayer ---
 You Make Me Feel Like Napping

The Temptations ---
 Papa's Got A Kidney Stone

Abba---
 Denture Queen

Tony Orlando ---
 Knock 3 Times On The Ceiling If You Hear Me Fall

Helen Reddy ---
 I Am Woman; Hear Me Snore

Leslie Gore---
 It's My Procedure, and I'll Cry If I Want To

And Last, but NOT least:

Willie Nelson ---
 On the Commode Again
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Wingnut

« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2016, 09:47:23 pm »
Our family had "The Wayward Wind" on a 45. Sure seems to be  a spate of entertainer deaths recently.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_4IzbsbOM

She was 80 in the PBS special. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2016, 12:53:19 am »
"From the Beginning" - one of my favorite songs.  RIP Keith Emerson.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Paladin

« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2016, 03:22:55 am »
"From the Beginning" - one of my favorite songs.  RIP Keith Emerson.

Likewise, and I hate to make a sad situation even sadder but

"Keith Emerson shot himself in the head in what’s likely now a suicide investigation. The keyboardist and founder of Emerson, Lake & Palmer was found dead by his girlfriend on Thursday night in the couple’s Santa Monica, California house with a single bullet shot to the head.

The piano player had been depressed as a result of a nerve problem that affected his right hand and severely impaired his ability to play the keyboard. Still, he was slated to perform next week in Japan."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/keith-emerson-dead-from-gunshot-to-head-in-apparent-suicide/ar-AAgG2LG?ocid=spartandhp
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

A-Lert

« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2016, 03:51:36 am »
Likewise, and I hate to make a sad situation even sadder but

"Keith Emerson shot himself in the head in what’s likely now a suicide investigation. The keyboardist and founder of Emerson, Lake & Palmer was found dead by his girlfriend on Thursday night in the couple’s Santa Monica, California house with a single bullet shot to the head.

The piano player had been depressed as a result of a nerve problem that affected his right hand and severely impaired his ability to play the keyboard. Still, he was slated to perform next week in Japan."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/keith-emerson-dead-from-gunshot-to-head-in-apparent-suicide/ar-AAgG2LG?ocid=spartandhp

Was there any hint of what type of nerve problem. My uncle had ALS and he said the one regret he had was that he didn't kill himself before he lost the use of his arms.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2016, 04:06:06 am »
Was there any hint of what type of nerve problem. My uncle had ALS and he said the one regret he had was that he didn't kill himself before he lost the use of his arms.

Don't know A-lert. That was the only article I have seen so far on his death.

A-Lert

« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2016, 04:13:34 am »
Don't know A-lert. That was the only article I have seen so far on his death.

Well it is sad when anyone takes their life. My sister-in-laws husband did it and it affected so many other people. My friend and business partner did it. Never even a hint that anything was amiss. I understand if a person is having unbearable pain or a helpless,  hopeless outcome.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2016, 05:57:15 am »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2016, 08:14:55 pm »
British composer Sir Peter Maxwell Davies dies aged 81

Celebrated British composer Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, a former Master of the Queen's Music, has died at the age of 81.

He was known for his modern and avant-garde works, but his most famous piece was a simple, haunting lament for solo piano - Farewell To Stromness.

"He was, right to the end, a pioneer," Stephen Lumsden, Managing Director of music agency Intermusica, said.

The Salford-born musician, who had leukaemia, died at home in Orkney.
More

Wikipedia

Peter Maxwell Davies: An Orkney Wedding, with Sunrise (1985)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:20:47 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Paladin

« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2016, 01:09:01 am »
Was there any hint of what type of nerve problem.

"Over the weekend, Emerson's girlfriend Mari Kawaguchi -- who found his body at their shared California residence -- spoke to U.K. publication Daily Mail and shed some light onto why the legendary keyboard player may have taken his own life.

"His right hand and arm had given him problems for years. He had an operation a few years ago to take out a bad muscle but the pain and nerve issues in his right hand were getting worse," she said. "He had concerts coming up in Japan and even though they hired a back-up keyboard player to support him, Keith was worried. He read all the criticism online and was a sensitive soul. Last year he played concerts and people posted mean comments such as, 'I wish he would stop playing.' He was tormented with worry that he wouldn't be good enough. He was planning to retire after Japan. He didn't want to let down his fans. He was a perfectionist and the thought he wouldn't play perfectly made him depressed, nervous and anxious."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7256311/keith-emerson-death-suicide-health-issues

Offline Paladin

« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2016, 04:17:30 am »
Robert Horton, ‘Wagon Train’ Actor, Dies at 91

Robert Horton, known for his role as scout Flint McCullough in the Emmy-nominated series “Wagon Train,” died March 9 in Los Angeles, his niece Joan Evans told the New York Times. He was 91.

After being medically discharged from the Coast Guard in 1943, Horton made his screen acting debut in an uncredited part in the 1945 WWII drama “A Walk in the Sun.”

He landed his breakout role starring as McCullough in the hit western series “Wagon Train” for five seasons, exiting the show following the wrap of season five in 1962. Around the time he left “Wagon Train”– which accumulated seven Primetime Emmy nominations throughout the duration of its eight-season run — the show switched networks, transitioning from NBC to ABC.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/robert-horton-%e2%80%98wagon-train%e2%80%99-actor-dies-at-91/ar-BBqv73S?ocid=spartandhp

A-Lert

« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2016, 04:28:20 am »
Ward Bond, wagonmaster, Robert Horton scout; I rode with them many nights. I miss  the programming from that era.