Author Topic: Donald Trump Just gave an Anti-Semitic Speech to the Republican Jewish Coalition  (Read 2925 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/3/9843670/donald-trump-anti-semitic

Donald Trump just gave an anti-Semitic speech to the Republican Jewish Coalition

Updated by Zack Beauchamp

December 3, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

Midday on Thursday, Donald Trump gave a speech to the Republican Jewish Coalition. These are three real things that he said:

"Stupidly, you want to give money...You're not going to support me because I don't want your money."

"I'm a negotiator, like you folks."

"Is there anyone in this room who doesn't negotiate deals? Probably more than any room I've ever spoken."

The nicest thing that you can say about these comments is that they play on ancient stereotypes of Jews as money-grubbing merchants. The meanest thing you can say is that they're outright anti-Semitic. The crowd appeared to laugh it off, but observers watching the speech were struck:

Ari Fleischer ✔ @AriFleischer
Trump to the Republican Jewish Coalition: "You're not going to support me because I don't want your money."   What the hell does that mean?
11:21 AM - 3 Dec 2015 · Washington, DC, United States

Ben Jacobs ✔ @Bencjacobs
You have to give plaudits to Donald Trump for chutzpah. Who else gives a border line anti-Semitic speech at the Republican Jewish Coalition?

Chemi Shalev @ChemiShalev
The time that Trump spit on a Jewish audience and everyone pretended they were  in a water park

That wasn't the end of Trump's problems during the address. When asked about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the candidate whiffed. He refused to tell the strongly pro-Israel group whether he thought Jerusalem should be the undivided capital of Israel, and was outright booed. He appeared to apportion blame to Israel for the failure of the peace process, and the room was dead silent.

John Podhoretz ✔ @jpodhoretz
Trump on peace process is like having a conversation with an 11 year-old.

Zeke Miller @zekejmiller
Trump doubles down at RJC: “I don’t know that Israel has the commitment to make it” You can hear a pin drop

Again, there was some applause for other pro-Israel comments, as well as digs at President Obama and Bernie Sanders. But overall, it was an utterly baffling address to give to a group of Republican Jews. It suggests that Trump isn't just "politically incorrect" when talking about Democratic-voting groups like Latinos and women; it's that he actually can't help himself from engaging in nasty stereotypes. And he can't even figure out the right talking points to use when speaking to a pro-Israel crowd, a deeply important constituency in the Republican Party.

Judd Legum ✔ @JuddLegum
People Trump has insulted in this campaign (partial list):

1. Jews
2. The disabled
3. Muslims
4. Women
5. Immigrants
6. Refugees
7. Blacks

So to recap: Trump stood in front of an audience of Jews and called them money-grubbers. He stood in front of a pro-Israel crowd, and told them Israel was (at least partially) to blame for the failure to come to terms with the Palestinians.

Despite the applause, it's hard to characterize that as anything but a disaster.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I wondered why this suddenly hit my twitter.

POLITICO ‏@politico 13m13 minutes ago

Donald Trump concedes he won't win Jewish Republicans http://politi.co/1Ns93z3  | AP Photo

How is talking to a room full of business-people (successful ones) and saying they make deals anti-semitic? The Left's dog whistles are frigging weird.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:20:47 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

I wondered why this suddenly hit my twitter.

How is talking to a room full of business-people (successful ones) and saying they make deals anti-semitic? The Left's dog whistles are frigging weird.

You're apparently not familiar with the stereotype of Jews as cheap and always haggling for a deal.   

The only group of people Trump DOESN'T ridicule is 70 year old men with orange hair who cheat on their wives.

Offline GAJohnnie

So now we are looking to a rabidly far Left website like Vox to find out the "news"  about Conservatives and Republicans?

Offline sinkspur

So now we are looking to a rabidly far Left website like Vox to find out the "news"  about Conservatives and Republicans?

You don't like the message, so you attack the messenger.  Just go to Twitter.  Republican Jews are pissed at Trump's remarks.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/261971-trump-gets-laughs-boos-from-prominent-jewish-group

December 03, 2015, 01:10 pm
Trump gets laughs, boos from prominent Jewish group

By Jonathan Easley

Donald Trump charmed influential Jewish powerbrokers and donors who gathered in Washington on Thursday for a GOP presidential forum, but may have hurt himself in the long run for staking out controversial positions on hot-button issues important to the group.

Hundreds of Jewish political activists gathered for the Republican Jewish Coalition (RJC) presidential forum, and Trump had the crowd rolling — even when his jokes touched on well-worn Jewish stereotypes about being good negotiators and strong businesspeople.

“I’m a negotiator like you folks, we’re negotiators,” the real estate mogul said to laughs before launching into a broadside against the Obama administrations nuclear agreement with Iran.

“Is there anyone in this room who doesn’t negotiate deals?,” the party front-runner asked later. “This room negotiates a lot. This room perhaps more than any room I’ve ever spoken to.”

Trump earned more laughs for repeatedly telling the crowd that he didn’t expect their support because he’s not asking for their money.

But he also elicited some boos under questioning from RJC Chairman Matthew Brooks about whether the capital in Israel should be in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv, where the U.S. maintains its diplomatic presence.

“I have to wait until I meet with Bibi,” Trump said, referencing an upcoming meeting he says he’s scheduled with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

It’s an article of faith among most Republicans that the U.S. should relocate its embassy in the country to Jerusalem.

Earlier, Trump declined to clarify his position on what concessions he believes Israel needs to make to achieve a peace deal in the Middle East.

“You have to have commitment to [make a deal],” the business tycoon said. “I don’t know if Israel has the commitment to make it. I don’t know that the other side has the commitment to make it.”

He wouldn’t get more specific than that, saying that as a deal-maker he doesn’t want to “give away a lot of cards.”

Just hours before Trump was scheduled to address the RJC, The Associated Press ran an interview with Trump in which he said Israel needs to make some “sacrifices” on “certain things” if it’s to achieve a peace deal in the Middle East.

Trump didn’t elaborate on what concessions he believes Israel should make, but he described Israeli settlements in the West Bank as a “huge sticking point” in negotiations.

Palestinians have repeatedly called for Israel to make land concessions as per the borders drawn by the United Nations in 1948, while Israel has bucked those calls and argued that it only took control of the land after its neighbors attacked the country.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) rebuked Trump for the remarks in his address to the RJC earlier in the day, saying that “there is no moral equivalence between Israel and those who seek to destroy her.”

“Understanding that fundamental truth is essential to being the next commander in chief,” Rubio said. “This is not a real estate deal with two sides arguing over money. It’s a struggle to safeguard the future of Israel.”

By suggesting that Israel might need to make serious concessions in a possible peace deal with the Palestinians, Trump was expressing a thought that is rarely circulated in hawkish Republican circles, but he received no reaction from the crowd for his remarks.

Still, his speech was largely well-received. Unlike the other candidates, Trump forewent a planned speech, instead treating the gathering like one of his rallies, even interrupting his comments to greet someone in the audience.

He ripped Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, saying she’s “been involved in corruption her whole life” and claiming that she’s only running for president to stay out of jail.

Trump said Clinton is sticking close to President Obama in hopes that the Justice Department will bail her out of the controversy surrounding her use of a private email account and server as secretary of State.

“She can’t go against [Obama] because then he goes boom and she gets indicted,” he said. “He’s got total control over her.

Trump also accused Clinton of ignoring “hundreds” of requests for more security from diplomats at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

“She shouldn’t be allowed to run for president,” Trump declared.

video at link
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/US-GOP-2016-AP-Conversation-Trump/2015/12/03/id/704412/
Trump: I'm Going to Israel to Meet Netanyahu

Donald Trump is planning a  trip to Israel soon to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, he said at a rally late Wedneday.

"I love Israel and Israel is our real strong supporter. Very soon I'm going to Israel and I'll be meeting with Bibi Netanyahu," the billionaire said during a campaign rally.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/US-GOP-2016-AP-Conversation-Trump/2015/12/03/id/704412/#ixzz3tHhBCq9i

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

So for Trump, Israel is no more important in the peace process than the Palestinians.  And for him, like Obama, "settlements" are the problem.

Offline GAJohnnie

Interesting to note the different "The Hill" blog's take is on Trumps speech then the bigoted spin put out by the rabid extreme Leftist clown choir at the propaganda outlet  Vox put on it.

Perhaps the next thread can be about what Democrat Underground thinks about Trump.

Offline NavyCanDo

Donald Trump is planning a  trip to Israel soon to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, he said at a rally late Wednesday.

So he can insult Benjamin to his face I suppose.    Seriously, this  is what I have been saying all along about Trump. He either doesn't think first before he speaks - or he does think about it and doesn't really give a S*&% what people say about it afterward.    Allowing him to sit behind the Resolute Desk is a dangerous thing and not good for America.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
You're apparently not familiar with the stereotype of Jews as cheap and always haggling for a deal.   

The only group of people Trump DOESN'T ridicule is 70 year old men with orange hair who cheat on their wives.

You forgot to put in about him killing puppies and kittens too, since we're throwing in the kitchen sink.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
You don't like the message, so you attack the messenger.  Just go to Twitter.  Republican Jews are pissed at Trump's remarks.

Well if you want to consort with liars, frauds, and shady snakes, do you expect us to think better of you?
The Republic is lost.

Offline MBB1984

Only a PC zealot would think Trump is Anti-Semitic.  His daughter married a Jew and he has good ties to the Jewish community.  However, Trump probably should have a better speech writer in this instance.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Trump probably should have a better speech writer in this instance.

I think Trump ad libs his speeches.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Here's the speech. It runs 34:06. Judge for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsfVHB3-FB0

I forced myself to watch the speech. I saw no antisemitism from Trump, but the bragging made me want to puke.

geronl

The man is a moron.

He still thinks the problem is Israel, what an ignoramus

Offline Longiron

The man is a moron.

He still thinks the problem is Israel, what an ignoramus

Please tell us why your person as the candidate is NOT a moron. FYI you do not become a Billionaire being a Moron in case you did not get that little fact. Bill Gates is a left wing loon BUT he is not a Moron. If and whenever he ever gets mugged he will then become a conservative. :thud: