Author Topic: Cruz Surges to 2nd Place In New USA Today Power Rankings  (Read 3501 times)

Online libertybele

Cruz Surges to 2nd Place In New USA Today Power Rankings
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:57:46 am »
Go Ted Go!!!

Cruz Surges to 2nd Place in New USA Today Power Rankings

Ted Cruz is on the move.

The combative Texas senator has climbed to second place in our GOP Power Rankings, the highest he has placed in the 14 weeks we have been polling political experts on who is the strongest candidate in the Republican field.

“The biggest news of the week was Ted Cruz’s surge in Iowa,” said Emory University professor Andra Gillespie. “One of the interesting features of this cycle has been the crowded evangelical field, where no one candidate has dominated and (Donald) Trump has held his own. Social conservatives may have found their candidate in Ted Cruz.”

Trump remains No. 1 in our survey, with 17 first-place votes. While he has continued to toss out comments that are considered poor taste or inaccurate, he is the unquestioned front-runner.

But Cruz and Marco Rubio are gaining ground. Rubio actually took more first-place votes in our survey (seven) than Cruz (four), but Cruz scored higher in total because 19 of our experts put him in second place.

It's always fun to watch the bias creep in, even in "reporting" that the source no doubt felt was dispassionate. There is no reason to refer to Cruz as "combative" other than it reinforces the negative narrative the MSM and its occasional allies in the upper echelons of the GOP have crafted the past couple of years. The subtext is that Cruz is too much of a hothead to be elected.

Yeah, enjoy trying to continue to sell that.

We've long noted here that Senator Cruz is running a very steady campaign that deliberately doesn't subject itself or the candidate to the weekly whims that the press is so desperate to obsess over in these weeks when no votes are yet being cast.

Cruz has always been the most solid choice for the social conservatives in this race, but Carson had all of the early flash for them. If Carson's supporters, along with those still clinging to Huckabee and Santorum out of habit, migrate to Cruz, he could be in for a very big Super Tuesday on March 1st.

Not bad for a combative government-shutdown meanie.

https://pjmedia.com/election/2015/12/1/cruz-surges-to-2nd-place-in-new-usa-today-power-rankings
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

Re: Cruz Surges to 2nd Place In New USA Today Power Rankings
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 02:15:58 am »
Cruz/Rubio 2016

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:28:13 am »
"Cruz" in English is "Cross," and evangelical Christianity which is historically a big deal among Republicans in Iowa, which voted for Obama in 2012.

Father Santorum won Iowa in 2012 Primary/Caucus

Pastor Huckabee won in 2008

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:37:07 am »
Cruz/Rubio 2016

I guess Cruz would have to pick someone palatable to the GOPe now that I think about it.  Rubio is the best in that field, so it makes sense.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 02:46:14 am »
I guess Cruz would have to pick someone palatable to the GOPe now that I think about it.  Rubio is the best in that field, so it makes sense.

It's called making allies, and it's what makes the difference between a good politician and an egotistical ignoramus like Trump.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 02:53:46 am »
It's called making allies, and it's what makes the difference between a good politician and an egotistical ignoramus like Trump.

Haven't had a conservative at the top and a moderate veep since Reagan.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 02:54:11 am »

Stranger things have happened.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 03:18:04 am »
Oceander wrote above:
"Cruz/Rubio 2016"

The LAST THING we want is two more greenhorn senators in the #1 and #2 spots. We're just coming off of a disastrous eight-year reign of a one-term senator who was properly tanned and good at reading from the prompter. Why repeat the mistake?

Cruz ... well, ok, I like him. He's conservative and not afraid to be confrontational, which we're going to need to try to wrestle the helm from the left and attempt to turn the ship about.

But Rubio -- no thanks.
He's a hack.
A young and attractive hack, perhaps, but still no one in whom we should put our faith.

I'd rather see Christie in there, representing "gubernatorial experience", instead of a Marco Rubio who will play Croesus to Cruz's Caesar.

Actually, I'd really like to see Scott Walker get the nod. He quickly got run over roughshod by Trump and Carson, but of all the candidates active or no, he's been the greatest force for conservative reform in a leftward-leaning state. In the election, I think he actually has a chance to win Wisconsin for the Pubbies. I could be wrong.

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 03:24:28 am »

I would be very surprised if  Cruz were to pick Rubio who is in stark contrast to some of his principles.  I think he may pick someone who is more constitutionally conservative like Lee.  When Cruz first announced he was running I had thought perhaps he would chose someone like Perry or Jindal, but they have fallen out of popularity.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 03:46:28 am »
Cruz/Rubio 2016

I don't have a problem with that ticket.

And I think it would win......  :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 03:47:21 am »
I would be very surprised if  Cruz were to pick Rubio who is in stark contrast to some of his principles.  I think he may pick someone who is more constitutionally conservative like Lee.  When Cruz first announced he was running I had thought perhaps he would chose someone like Perry or Jindal, but they have fallen out of popularity.

I think a Cruz/Rubio ticket would win.  I'm not sure a Cruz/Lee ticket would.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 03:54:57 am »
I think a Cruz/Rubio ticket would win.  I'm not sure a Cruz/Lee ticket would.

If Cruz wins the nomination he will pick someone like Scott Walker for his VP and this is nothing new from me as I recall saying something like that several months ago.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 04:03:05 am »
If Cruz gets the nomination he would do much better to pick someone like Rubio; he needs a moderating influence and someone who can pick up votes for his agenda from the rather nastily named eGOP (or is it GOPe?).

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 04:05:08 am »
If Cruz gets the nomination he would do much better to pick someone like Rubio; he needs a moderating influence and someone who can pick up votes for his agenda from the rather nastily named eGOP (or is it GOPe?).

Two southern senators? I think not!  Needs to be some regional balance on the ticket.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 04:17:45 am »
Two southern senators? I think not!  Needs to be some regional balance on the ticket.

Being from different sides of the GOP is balance enough.  Besides, Walker wouldn't take it because he's too used to being in charge; I doubt very seriously if he'd agree to play second fiddle.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 04:21:13 am »
Cruz/Palin

Just waiting for some heads to explode.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online libertybele

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 10:15:30 am »
Cruz/Palin

Just waiting for some heads to explode.

I love Palin but not so sure she'd help him win.  If we're looking at governors, thinking Mike Pence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 03:18:32 pm »
If Cruz wins the nomination he will pick someone like Scott Walker for his VP and this is nothing new from me as I recall saying something like that several months ago.

I'd go for Cruz/Walker BIG time.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 03:31:28 pm »
I'd go for Cruz/Walker BIG time.

So would millions of others I think!  :patriot:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 04:14:12 pm »
So would millions of others I think!  :patriot:

Indeed!  If people want fighters, there are two of them!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 04:42:10 pm »
Cruz/Rubio 2016

If Hillary chooses a Hispanic or Black running mate---Cruz goes down no matter who he selects as VP.

Online libertybele

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 05:24:48 pm »
If Hillary chooses a Hispanic or Black running mate---Cruz goes down no matter who he selects as VP.

#1 Cruz is of Hispanic origin.  #2 He can also select a black running mate or a female running mate. 

If Cruz is indeed the nominee, I am very confident he will be our next president and will be successful in wisely choosing someone who will help him win.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 05:40:26 pm »

#1 Cruz is of Hispanic origin.  #2 He can also select a black running mate or a female running mate. 

If Cruz is indeed the nominee, I am very confident he will be our next president and will be successful in wisely choosing someone who will help him win.

I love Cruz.  But with my heart and mind I don't see him winning. 

The best evidence I have is that "conservative" Republicans adore him; which means there simply are not enough of us left in this country identifying with Ted Cruz to pull off this victory alone-- and he won't have the crossover appeal we will desperately need.   

But it's our nature to rally around the one we cheer even knowing he is not the one who will win nationally.  We do it so often we're getting darn good at it.   :shrug:

Offline Paladin

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 09:43:41 pm »
"I love Cruz.  But with my heart and mind I don't see him winning."

Buck up, RIV. Ted has been consistently underestimated starting with his senatorial campaign in TX, and yet...

And I don't intend to sound ghoulish but incidents such as San Bernardino are not going to help whoever is the Dem's choice. Both in his fatuous conduct in the ME and his really stupid immigration policies Obama is doing irreparable damage to the Dem brand and their nominee is either going to have to defend or repudiate him. I would not much like to be in that position. 
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 09:49:32 pm »
"I love Cruz.  But with my heart and mind I don't see him winning."

Buck up, RIV. Ted has been consistently underestimated starting with his senatorial campaign in TX, and yet...

And I don't intend to sound ghoulish but incidents such as San Bernardino are not going to help whoever is the Dem's choice. Both in his fatuous conduct in the ME and his really stupid immigration policies Obama is doing irreparable damage to the Dem brand and their nominee is either going to have to defend or repudiate him. I would not much like to be in that position.

San Bernardino is a game changer. Strong leadership will rise to the top. I expect Ted Cruz will be on the GOP ticket.