Author Topic: Why Trump Might Win  (Read 500 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Why Trump Might Win
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:33:54 pm »
http://ramblingmanblog.com/why-trump-might-win/

Why Trump Might Win
Bruce Haynes

The new Politico Caucus survey of insiders from Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina is in.  The “politicos” on the ground in those states all agree.  Donald Trump has a real and significant chance to become the Republican nominee.

I participated in that survey, and I put his chance at 30%. When I share this view with establishment Republicans and some DC insiders, the expressions range from anger to disbelief to a kind but piteous look that suggests that perhaps the men in the white coats should come and take me away to a safe and comfortable place where I would be at no risk of causing harm to society or to my person.

I bet a lot of democrats who had the guts to say, early in 2008, “you know Obama just might win” got that same look too. That’s because it is increasingly obvious that Obama and Trump have something in common.  On the road to the White House, both looked up one day and found that they were not just running campaigns, they were leading causes.

Make no mistake, Trump is running a campaign and it is a strong one, better in many ways than the more traditional campaigns of his opponents.  Trump has built a sizeable and deep campaign infrastructure in the early primary states. These organizations are led not by cranky volunteer types who just stick up yard signs and stir the pot, but seasoned political veterans (such as Ed McMullen and Jim Merrill in South Carolina) who know how to win elections.

All of the elements of a great campaign are present.  Trump has a brand.  He has iconography in the form of the ubiquitous red hat.  A Reaganesque slogan in “Make America Great Again.” A battle cry in a song, “We’re Not Gonna Take it Anymore.”  And, if he elects to reach under the mattress at Trump Tower, he has more than enough resources to keep the music playing as long as it takes.  I can explain Trump’s campaign in 15 seconds. I’m not sure I can explain any of the others in 15 minutes.

It is working because Trump has a base.  Secular, more moderate, working class voters who believe they are being left behind by the globalization of both our economy and our culture. These people form the basis of the cause.

Sure, they’ve been around ever since economic globalization has been an issue. They were Reagan Democrats, or Perot voters, or Pat Buchanan supporters.  But changes in our economy and culture have been occurring at a lightning pace these last four years, and these voters fear that America is in danger of irreversibly becoming not only something they do not recognize, but a place in which they no longer belong.

These folks are not hard to find. During the week, they work shifts on the factory floor to support their families. They cheer their kids on Friday night at the High School football game.  On Saturday they line Main street for the Veteran’s Day parade or attend local festivals and events. On Sunday morning they may be in church, but you might just as easily find them up in a tree stand, down in a duck blind or out in a bass boat.  So when Trump comes to South Carolina and mentions trade, immigration, support for our vets, gun rights and Clemson football, people shouldn’t be stunned when an auditorium of thousands of people roar with approval.

Not long ago, these people were celebrated as the backbone of America. But today, they get the impression they are a malignant tumor that a wealthy, educated class of new American elites would excise and discard. They not just disrespected, but in some circles mocked, “flyover” people whose values and way of life are not only irrelevant, but distasteful.

The irony that a chauffeur driven New York billionaire has given voice to their concerns is not lost.  But Trump has spoken of their concerns with more clarity and strength than any voice they’ve heard echo their thoughts since Reagan.

In politics, causes beat campaigns.  Causes prompt sold out venues, more volunteers than you can assign tasks, and political outcomes that defy traditional measurement and conventional wisdom.

Trump, perhaps unwittingly, finds himself the leader of that cause.  If he can stay in front of the pack, and grow his vote, that cause may carry him to a heretofore unthinkable victory.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: Why Trump Might Win
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:49:01 pm »
This is going to be a VERY interesting thread.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 04:37:24 pm »

It'll go down like most Trump threads do: contentious, with most folks here (60% by my count) claiming Trump's lying and using gullible conservatives to serve Trump's real agenda. His goal of world domination. --okay, I made up that last part.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:50:51 pm »
Are you sure - I'm thinking if he continues strong that they'll pull out the world domination card 😜
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 04:53:07 pm »
I bet a lot of democrats who had the guts to say, early in 2008, “you know Obama just might win” got that same look too.

The comparison to Trump is laughable.  Obama was running to be the first black president.  Trump isn't even running to be the first president with a shockingly bad hairdo.  He isn't even running to be the first president with a loud mouth and room enough in it for more than his fair share of feet.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 04:59:08 pm »
Are you sure - I'm thinking if he continues strong that they'll pull out the world domination card 😜

You could be right. Every little belch from Trump is eyed with suspicion. *burb* Did you hear that? Trump's a religious bigot and he hates Asians.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 07:41:35 pm »
Good article.  Thanks for posting. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 07:53:20 pm »

I won't be guilty of making it so.  This is my one and only post on it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 08:12:00 pm »

Betcha I can get you back...the IRS is the best thing to happen to America since sliced bread....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 08:13:12 pm »
The comparison to Trump is laughable.  Obama was running to be the first black president.  Trump isn't even running to be the first president with a shockingly bad hairdo.  He isn't even running to be the first president with a loud mouth and room enough in it for more than his fair share of feet.
I'm not quite sure what platform on which Trump is running. What, exactly, are his proposals? For what does he stand? He insults a lot, but is there anything else there?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 08:35:24 pm »

Betcha I can get you back...the IRS is the best thing to happen to America since sliced bread....

LoL. I thought for sure I could draw you in, Bigun. Well, touché!

To let you guys in on it, Bugun cleverly responded to my taunt by PM. Well played, Bigun! (shhhh. Now let's see if he responds to this post...shhhh...)