Author Topic: Gingrich open to return to Speakership  (Read 378 times)

rangerrebew

Gingrich open to return to Speakership
« on: October 09, 2015, 10:58:58 am »
October 08, 2015, 05:27 pm
Gingrich open to return to Speakership

By Bradford Richardson

Newt Gingrich said he would consider taking up the Speaker’s gavel again if called upon to by House Republicans.

The former Speaker initially denied any interest in a return to Congress, but when pressed in an interview with radio show host Sean Hannity on Thursday, admitted he would consider it if he had the votes.

“If you were to say to me 218 have called you up and given you their pledge, obviously no citizen could ever turn down that kind of challenge,” Gingrich said, as first reported by the Washington Free Beacon.

ADVERTISEMENT
He compared the scenario to George Washington coming out of retirement to become America’s first president.

“This is why George Washington came out of retirement — because there are moments you can’t avoid,” Gingrich said.

Despite his willingness to take the House’s top job, Gingrich downplayed his chances, saying he would face many of the same obstacles as House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who abruptly dropped out of the race for Speaker on Thursday.

“Remember the McCarthy problem — it’s not getting a majority of the conference, it’s getting 218 votes,” Gingrich said.

Gingrich said he’s more likely to serve as a consultant to the House GOP than as its Speaker. He said it would “be more practical” to sit down with the GOP conference “and try to help them think this through.”

“I think this is a conference-wide problem,” said Gingrich, who served as the Speaker of the House from 1995 to 1999 but resigned from his position and from Congress over an ethics violation.

He was instrumental in the Republican wave that took back the House for the first time in 40 year

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/256433-gingrich-open-to-return-to-speakership
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:59:41 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Gingrich open to return to Speakership
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:32:18 pm »
Something that came up from one of my Left friends as a joke - Mitt Romney for Speaker.

And, actually, why the hell not?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

Re: Gingrich open to return to Speakership
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 05:43:36 pm »
Newt calls himself an insider and he likes sitting next to Pelosi