Author Topic: Report: Boehner phones Paul Ryan, asks him to run for Speaker — or else he might stay on as Speaker himself  (Read 1236 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/10/08/report-boehner-phones-paul-ryan-asks-him-to-run-for-speaker-or-else-he-might-stay-on-as-speaker-himself/

Report: Boehner phones Paul Ryan, asks him to run for Speaker — or else he might stay on as Speaker himself
posted at 4:41 pm on October 8, 2015 by Allahpundit

This makes three top House Republicans who’ve endorsed Ryan in the last two days as a potential uniting force. Yesterday it was Trey Gowdy;

“To me, just speaking as one member, the smartest kid in the class is Paul Ryan,” Gowdy said. “If I had one draft choice and I was starting a new country, I would draft Paul to run it. Not because I agree with him on everything, but because he’s super, super smart. And when someone is super, super smart and is not interested, that tells you something. It tells me a lot.”

This morning, after he’d formally withdrawn from the Speaker race, it was Kevin McCarthy:

It’s not clear who will pick up the pieces. He says, “I personally want Paul Ryan.” There’s been some speculation about the necessity of a bi-partisan coalition to elect a new Speaker, which he rejects. “We’ll find a Republican.”

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/10/08/report-boehner-phones-paul-ryan-asks-him-to-run-for-speaker-or-else-he-might-stay-on-as-speaker-himself/

This makes three top House Republicans who’ve endorsed Ryan in the last two days as a potential uniting force. Yesterday it was Trey Gowdy:

“To me, just speaking as one member, the smartest kid in the class is Paul Ryan,” Gowdy said. “If I had one draft choice and I was starting a new country, I would draft Paul to run it. Not because I agree with him on everything, but because he’s super, super smart. And when someone is super, super smart and is not interested, that tells you something. It tells me a lot.”

This morning, after he’d formally withdrawn from the Speaker race, it was Kevin McCarthy:

It’s not clear who will pick up the pieces. He says, “I personally want Paul Ryan.” There’s been some speculation about the necessity of a bi-partisan coalition to elect a new Speaker, which he rejects. “We’ll find a Republican.”

And now, the Speaker himself joins the parade:

BREAKING: BOEHNER IS PERSONALLY ASKING RYAN TO STEP UP AND BE SPEAKER, have spoken twice today by phone…

— Robert Costa (@costareports) October 8, 2015

Boehner has told Ryan that he is the only person who can unite GOP at this crisis moment. Ryan undecided but listening, per sources

— Robert Costa (@costareports) October 8, 2015

And what if Ryan still says no? Terrible things, my friends. Bret Baier:

Speaker John Boehner has agreed to stay on as Speaker–not just until the Caucus nominates someone –but, until that person can confirm 218 votes on the House floor (needed to take the Speaker’s gavel).  Short of that – Boehner will stay on for the rest of this Congress and steer legislation that is pending.

What does this mean?   Moderates and leadership types are cheering and saying Boehner is the only one they will support.   Conservatives will go ballistic since they know this signals that Boehner will make ALL kinds of deals to get big ticket legislation through the House even if it means using Democrats votes to do it.

Hopefully that’s just a bluff Boehner is using to twist the arms of House conservatives who’d otherwise object to another center-right Speaker. Line up behind Ryan, Boehner is saying, or else I’ll stick around and make your lives even more miserable. What his leverage is in doing that isn’t immediately clear to me; wasn’t the whole reason he quit in the first place because he wasn’t sure he had the votes to survive the challenge being led by Rep. Mark

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"Look, Paul. I know you tried to be number two. Sorry about that."

"How about a deal to be number three?"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This is infuriating.

Yes, it is, but the part that Boehner hasn't figured out yet, is that it may not be up to him.

Offline libertybele

Wow.  I could have sworn Boehner publicly stated that he would step down at the end of October.  So...with McCarthy stepping down and Boehner throwing a hissy fit it sure seems that there was an underlying agenda ... perhaps the only reason he made the announcement was so he could strike a deal with the DEMS before he left.  Perhaps the DEMS won't deal after all so Boehner wants to retain his seat, OR perhaps there were enough votes to seat a conservative and the RINO's don't want a conservative as Speaker so they've asked Boehner to stay and had McCarthy bow out gracefully.  Either way, this just shows the corruption that is going on behind the scenes.  Zippity-dooh--dah!  Also, if the RINO's are so bent on Ryan, he's not the guy we want as Speaker.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
While I won't discount corruption, or manipulation behind the scenes, be honest with yourself. Would YOU take the job? I wouldn't, not in a million years.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Wow.  I could have sworn Boehner publicly stated that he would step down at the end of October.  So...with McCarthy stepping down and Boehner throwing a hissy fit it sure seems that there was an underlying agenda ... perhaps the only reason he made the announcement was so he could strike a deal with the DEMS before he left.  Perhaps the DEMS won't deal after all so Boehner wants to retain his seat, OR perhaps there were enough votes to seat a conservative and the RINO's don't want a conservative as Speaker so they've asked Boehner to stay and had McCarthy bow out gracefully.  Either way, this just shows the corruption that is going on behind the scenes.  Zippity-dooh--dah!  Also, if the RINO's are so bent on Ryan, he's not the guy we want as Speaker.

Ryan is a pro-illegal immigration guy.

bkepley

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The earth is moving in Washington  and the insider establishment doesn't like it one damned bit!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:32:11 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
How so?

Pretty much in the usual, GOPe, CofC kind of way.  Do you want me to look it up for you?

bkepley

Pretty much in the usual, GOPe, CofC kind of way.  Do you want me to look it up for you?

No I've already looked it up.  How is he pro-illegal immigration?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
    Ryan said the principles would outline a bill that would allow immigrants living in the country illegally to “come out of the shadows” to receive a probationary work permit.

To get out of the probationary status and receive a regular work permit, triggers for border security and interior enforcement would have to be met and independently verified.

Those immigrants would also have to pay a fine, learn English and civics, and prove that they are not on welfare.

At that point, they would be able to apply for a green card for permanent residency through regular procedures.

http://www.redstate.com/2014/01/30/paul-ryans-super-clever-idea-for-illegal-immigrants/

As the saying goes: "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:40:26 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Ryan is owned lock, stock, and barrel by K street and thus is pro illegal because K street demands it of him.  Ray Charles can see that and he's blind as a bat.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

bkepley

As the saying goes: "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

This is not pro-illegal immigration.  It is not much different than Trumps plan for example except Trump pretends to round them all up, ship them back and then process them back in in a similar way which is ridiculous.  What candidate's plan do you liks better and how does it differ?

bkepley

Ryan is owned lock, stock, and barrel by K street and thus is pro illegal because K street demands it of him.  Ray Charles can see that and he's blind as a bat.

Paul Ryan is a good man.  A better man than some of the loonies you like.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Paul Ryan is a good man.  A better man than some of the loonies you like.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

A work program. Not amnesty, not citizenship. That's the rational approach.  May as well figure out a way to allow illegals to get some legal status but not as citizens.

Conservatives who buy the Trump line that he's going to drive 11 million people out of the country are dopes. That's never going to happen or even be attempted, and Trump knows it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Paladin

The good news is that Boehner & Co. haven't asked Pelosi to resume the Speaker's office. Not yet anyway.

The bad news is Ryan's performance in the VP debate with Biden. Why he didn't turn around and ask Joe if he was suffering some kind of nervous malady is beyond me. But instead he just sat there and kept yammering away while Joe mugged. Biden may have looked silly but Ryan looked sillier for not confronting him (in typical RINOGOP fashion).
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Godzilla

I'd rather keep Boehner than have Paul Ryan in the position.

For he has a history of being very hostile towards military pay and retirement.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2013/12/22/paul-ryan-doubles-down-on-move-to-cut-pensions-for-veterans/
http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/12/news/economy/military-pensions-budget/
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2014/01/paul_ryan_vs_the_military.html

He's a big reason why our military is less capable today than in 2008.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:13:54 am by Godzilla »

Yes, it is, but the part that Boehner hasn't figured out yet, is that it may not be up to him.

Please ... explain further.  (Really)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Please ... explain further.  (Really)

I don't think Boehner or Ryan have the votes.  I don't think the force is with them right now.  But, Boehner is still acting like it's up to him and he's calling the shots.

That's all I meant.

I don't think Boehner or Ryan have the votes.  I don't think the force is with them right now.  But, Boehner is still acting like it's up to him and he's calling the shots.

If he stays until he gets a self-appointed successor, then he is calling the shots.  No?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
sinkspur wrote above:
[[ A work program. Not amnesty, not citizenship. ]]

The illegals here ALREADY HAVE "a work program".

Why change it?

[[ Conservatives who buy the Trump line that he's going to drive 11 million people out of the country are dopes. ]]

There's "that number" again.
Wrote about it a couple of days back right here:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,182365.msg720450.html#msg720450

Some folks is jes' thick!