Author Topic: Obama Goes Beyond Mere Gun Control, Hints at Confiscation  (Read 3002 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Obama Goes Beyond Mere Gun Control, Hints at Confiscation
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 03:01:27 pm »
Yes and no. Places like Chicago, New York, and LA? Yes, at least among the lawful citizenry. Places like Nashville, Topeka, Des Moines, Mobile and Springfield, IL? Not so much. Then there's the vast scale of distance of the rural areas in the US, dotted with small towns. You can't maintain control with 1 soldier per 10 square miles or more in the rural areas with the number of guns out there.

There are a number of other factors at work, not the least of which is the will cities burn, and troops will be shifted there, and we have States with Governors that in such a power vacuum are going to fill it with their own authority. There's also the factor that the more control they try and assert, the more it will backfire by crashing the economy and making it increasingly difficult to pay for such action. There are many other logistical nuances out there I guarantee the Feds haven't taken into account.

I will maintain that any martial law scenario will be a feint. The global powers that be want this country broken up into several, with areas occupied by other countries, and not a dictatorship. We as a nation are too dangerous to them for even that.

Bolding the part that's a given - and not necessarily only by the global powers. How many times have you heard proponents of Balkanisation even on here?

Stand by my figures though - because the rural parts simply don't matter at first. If I were doing it and could expect only sporadic resistance from the military, I'd put troops in the major nodes - NYC, LA, Atlanta, Chicago, DC, Houston, Miami - probably Portland too and KC. Come down incredibly hard locally - yes people would escape, but to where? They'd do the pre-pacification of the hinterlands for me - look at Syria for a fine example of that. I'd be encouraging the exodus!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Relic

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2015, 03:03:28 pm »
With all due respect, I think you greatly misunderstand the depth of passion that exists when it comes to this subject. This is NEVER going to happen and the fedgov knows it!

You could be right. I do know some people who are very much into gun ownership, one is working on being a certified gunsmith. I'm just saying, if I were running the government, and I wanted to get rid of guns, that's the approach I'd take. Most owners would simply turn over their weapon rather than risk the penalty. Those that choose to ignore the new mandate, could be dealt with on an as needed basis. That way, you don't over burden the current systems.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2015, 03:05:10 pm »
Bolding the part that's a given - and not necessarily only by the global powers. How many times have you heard proponents of Balkanisation even on here?

Stand by my figures though - because the rural parts simply don't matter at first. If I were doing it and could expect only sporadic resistance from the military, I'd put troops in the major nodes - NYC, LA, Atlanta, Chicago, DC, Houston, Miami - probably Portland too and KC. Come down incredibly hard locally - yes people would escape, but to where? They'd do the pre-pacification of the hinterlands for me - look at Syria for a fine example of that. I'd be encouraging the exodus!

Never happen!  They try that and the war is on!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2015, 03:07:37 pm »
Randy Andy Cuomo, with a White House run gleam in his eye, passed the SAFE Act in New York, banning high capacity mags [over 10 shot capacity, w/ 7 rounds max., requiring the registration of all previously "grandfathered 'assault weapons' [he also tightened up on the definition], and banning the sale of NEW assault weapons to all but police. Failure to conform on any of the above is a Class 'D' felony. 95% [low estimate] of 'assault weapon' owners refused to register their guns. Nobody I know, or read about surrendered their mags. And this is New York. So the government can go piss in their hat. They're going to be ignored. And then when they try to take the weapons [after checking FFls], the fun begins.

A limitation is much tougher than an outright ban. With a ban the government can shutdown gun ranges, gun sellers, and ammunition sales.

Sure, some guns will remain in circulation, but the numbers would be severely impacted, and that would be enough to make liberals wet their pants in joy.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2015, 03:20:50 pm »
With all due respect, I think you greatly misunderstand the depth of passion that exists when it comes to this subject. This is NEVER going to happen and the fedgov knows it!

It certainly is not going to happen NOW. After years (or even decades) of Hollywood and the news media (pretty much the same thing these days) drilling it into gullible heads, things can change. We've seen it happen much more than once.  I think Relic is correct about the methodology and the reaction over time in the public.  The left always uses the same tactics they have in the past and there seems to be no good defense against it. It will happen when the huge majority will simply give up their weapons (or say they have) without a fight. Some won't do that openly, but they can be picked off over time one by one. Even more will descend into the new black market that will be created and people will hide their weapons.  The government won't care about that...as long as it's illegal to own them their job is simple and they can always descend on someone as a criminal if they desire, if not they'll care no more about what's in the underground than they do now when someone snorts a line of coke in their living room.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2015, 03:30:46 pm »
Never happen!  They try that and the war is on!

Of course it would be. That would be the point - my fig leaf justification to be there is peace keeping, right? While the practical effect I am after is the dissolution of the USA as a major global player.

I'd probably get a medal.  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:31:55 pm by EC »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2015, 03:34:41 pm »
Of course it would be. That would be the point - my fig leaf justification to be there is peace keeping, right? While the practical effect I am after is the dissolution of the USA as a major global player.

...with palm leaves and swords on it.   :laugh:

One way or another, we're going to find out, since there's 'only' 11 months left till the election and 13 months left till this POS is gone from the WH.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2015, 03:36:49 pm »
True - and the UN wouldn't get involved anyway. Figure Relic has the right of it in terms of the mechanism.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2015, 03:40:03 pm »
True - and the UN wouldn't get involved anyway. Figure Relic has the right of it in terms of the mechanism.

What are the chances that the pending 'Executive Order' on guns calls for registration of all weapons?

When they know where they are, 3 AM may as well be high noon to those banging on a door. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2015, 03:44:49 pm »
Pretty good, I'd say.

Aren't executive actions mostly taken in line with current laws? Since the executive branch is responsible for enforcing them (or not, in some cases!) it gives legitimacy to the order.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2015, 03:47:50 pm »

You actually believe that enough members of the U.S. military would go along with this to make it happen?  I don't! The defections would be beyond anything we have seen in Afghanistan or anywhere for that matter.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2015, 03:52:31 pm »

First problem is that the hinterlands aren't so much anymore. You'd have to cover many more cities. Even places now like Omaha, Des Moines, Milwaukee, Huntsville, Oklahoma City, or Cleveland have half a million to a million people in their metro. There are 106 metros  in the US with more than half a million population. If you don't have a significant troop presence spread around, you will encourage secession, especially in the interior. Americans have a tendency to think local and making examples of far away cities may not have the desired effect. Alot of that will hinge on the leadership of our Governors.

Which brings us back to the paradox. Assuming even that they could keep the gangs under control, the cities are still going to burn. Which will crash the economy, tax revenues dry up, welfare and unemployment claims spike, and we won't be buying foreign goods to recycle back to bond purchases. Then interest rates will spike, and the economy will simply implodes. Our currency will be worthless so fast it'll make people's heads spin. People just don't understand how precarious our financial situation truly is.

None of which factors in that even though it'd be a stupid move, they still may try it. I just think it'll not go down as they think it will, and will mostly backfire. They always have that longshot to pull it off and everyone be compliant, but in the end I think they'll just run out of money.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2015, 03:53:12 pm »
You actually believe that enough members of the U.S. military would go along with this to make it happen?  I don't! The defections would be beyond anything we have seen in Afghanistan or anywhere for that matter.

The rank and file? No way in hell would they go along with it!
The brass? You'll have to convince me they wouldn't go along - especially this lot.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2015, 03:55:23 pm »

Thus, the reason for using the "blue helmet' guys.   :shrug:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2015, 04:07:10 pm »
Thus, the reason for using the "blue helmet' guys.   :shrug:

When our military switched sides the blue helmet guys would be looking for the exits in one hell of a hurry!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2015, 04:18:41 pm »
When our military switched sides the blue helmet guys would be looking for the exits in one hell of a hurry!

Hell, depending on what country they're from, some of the Blue Helmets might switch sides.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2015, 04:24:39 pm »
Hell, depending on what country they're from, some of the Blue Helmets might switch sides.

Well of course!

- J. R. R. Tolkien