Author Topic: VA apologizes for 'ill-advised' ban on veterans' cellphones  (Read 489 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
VA apologizes for 'ill-advised' ban on veterans' cellphones
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:44:52 am »
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) apologized on Wednesday for temporarily implementing what it called an "ill-advised" policy at some medical centers that banned veterans from bringing cellphones to appointments, according to a statement provided by the VA to the Washington Free Beacon.

Photographs emerged earlier this week showing official signs at VA medical facilities stating that a veteran would have his or her appointment cancelled if they bring with them a cellphone.

The photos, first published on the blog Disabled Veterans, depict of a list of "prohibited items." Included within that list, along with guns, knives, and backpacks, is a photo of an iPhone.

"If brought to your appointment [these items] will result in the cancelation of your exam(s)," reads the flyer, which bears the VA's official logo and slogan, "Defining Excellence in the 21st Century."

These flyers were included in appointment packages to veterans, according to a VA official who spoke to the Free Beacon and disclosed that the flyers would be "immediately discontinued."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/01/va-apologizes-for-ill-advised-ban-on-veterans-cellphones/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: VA apologizes for 'ill-advised' ban on veterans' cellphones
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:56:51 am »
What on earth is their reasoning for this stupid edict?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 05:24:07 am »
To use one of my favorite British/Aussie terms: what a bunch of stupid f***knuckles
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 12:47:14 pm »
What on earth is their reasoning for this stupid edict?
Maybe they thought the veterans would snap photos of all the people waiting and waiting (and waiting) to obtain medical care.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:59:20 pm »
Maybe they thought the veterans would snap photos of all the people waiting and waiting (and waiting) to obtain medical care.

Could be.

Maybe they think they could be terrorists using their cell phones to set off bombs.   :nono:

Seriously though, I had to talk to someone in the IRS recently, and they confiscated my cell phone before going in!  I couldn't believe it!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:02:29 pm »
It's because of the the number of under-cover videos with audio...such as used in the Planned Parenthood videos that it could generate.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 03:31:24 pm »
It's because of the the number of under-cover videos with audio...such as used in the Planned Parenthood videos that it could generate.

I guess so.  I was very uncomfortable handing my phone - loaded with my personal information - over to the ATF (or DHS?) guys.  If they don't trust me, why should I trust them?

**nononono*