Author Topic: Conservatives organize to 'Fire McCarthy'  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Conservatives organize to 'Fire McCarthy'
« on: October 01, 2015, 04:46:43 am »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/conservatives-organize-to-fire-mccarthy/article/2573139
Rep. Kevin McCarthy is not even Speaker of the House yet, but there is already a group ready to fire him.

A group of prominent right-leaning organizations formed a coalition Wednesday dubbed "Fire Kevin McCarthy," pledging to remove the California Republican should he be chosen to replace John Boehner when he retires at the end of next month.

"Having worked with Kevin McCarthy in the House, I'll admit he's a friendly guy," former Georgia Rep. Paul Broun said in a statement announcing the formation of the coalition. "But we need a dramatic change in House leadership — we can't afford to replace Speaker Boehner with someone who will continue to carry out his failed legacy, one that has been stifling conservative progress for six years."

Elections for the next House Speaker are slated for Oct. 8.

Other people and groups backing the new organization are the Constitutional Rights PAC, Special Operations Speaks, FreedomWatch, Conservative Action Fund and PatriotPAC, Life & Liberty PAC, Alan Keyes, GatorPAC, American Dream Initiative and Political Media. Other conservatives and conservative organizations are expected to announce their joining of the effort to "Fire McCarthy" later on, the group said.

Larry Ward, Chairman of the Constitutional Rights APC, organized FireMcCarthy.com. According to Ward, "McCarthy will change nothing if chosen as Speaker — he's a go-along-to-get-along politician that isn't concerned much with principle. The American people deserve better than a nice guy."

McCarthy, who is currently the House Majority Leader, has been a California congressman since 2007. Considered the favorite to be Boehner's replacement, he is so far only up against Daniel Webster of Florida.

This is why people think conservatives are stupid...and when I say "people", I mean me.

D. Hawkins ‏@HawkinsUSA 2h2 hours ago

1) Demand Boehner Go
2) Boehner Goes
3) No "Acceptable" Candidate Emerges
4) McCarthy Promoted
5) Demand McCarthy Go
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:49:34 am by Once-Ler »

Offline aligncare

Re: Conservatives organize to 'Fire McCarthy'
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 10:43:19 am »

Here's the problem: McCarthy is next in line.

Bob Dole, was next in line.

John McCain, was next in line.

In fact, John Boehner had been House majority leader and was...next in line for Speaker.

That's what Republicans do: get in line and wait their turn. And it has to stop.

Why not look for the best person for the job? Instead of the most senior, why not find the most articulate, the most effective leader, the best communicator, the toughest negotiator, the most principled?

That's how it's done for top positions in the private sector. But, what do Republicans give us?:  Good enough for government work.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 07:39:45 pm »
Why not look for the best person for the job? Instead of the most senior, why not find the most articulate, the most effective leader, the best communicator, the toughest negotiator, the most principled?

Those are all subjective traits.  Perhaps McCarthy is all of those but OK, who would you choose to fill the Speaker chair?
Conservatives seem to only be able to say who they don't want...or they pick pariahs like Gohmert.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 07:46:44 pm »
Gohmert a pariah? Given he's an elected Congressman that seems a strange insult indeed.

You might want to up the quality of your personal attacks.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

bkepley

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 07:51:40 pm »
McCarthy came out looking like a dunce.  Boehner's friends should print up some "miss me yet?" posters.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 08:18:49 pm »
Those are all subjective traits.  Perhaps McCarthy is all of those but OK, who would you choose to fill the Speaker chair?
Conservatives seem to only be able to say who they don't want...or they pick pariahs like Gohmert.

Pariahs like Gohmert?  Since when?  Or, only in your mind?

Godzilla

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 08:52:06 pm »
Gohmert a pariah? Given he's an elected Congressman that seems a strange insult indeed.

You might want to up the quality of your personal attacks.

McCarthy's an elected Congressman as well.  That hasn't stopped these guys from trying to make him a pariah.

Soo... what's the deal?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 08:57:01 pm »
McCarthy's an elected Congressman as well.  That hasn't stopped these guys from trying to make him a pariah.

Soo... what's the deal?

You seem to be missing the point.  They are not trying to make McCarthy a pariah, they are trying to prevent his becoming Speaker of the House. 

Godzilla

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 09:22:59 pm »
You seem to be missing the point.  They are not trying to make McCarthy a pariah, they are trying to prevent his becoming Speaker of the House.

I'd call the act of trying to fire someone that hasn't even gotten the job... trying to isolate and stigmatize a fellow elected member of Congress.  Actions that are those necessary to make him a pariah.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:26:49 pm »
The joke is:

"Conservatives organize......"

....has to be sarcasm, or fiction.....
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 12:22:06 am »
I'd call the act of trying to fire someone that hasn't even gotten the job... trying to isolate and stigmatize a fellow elected member of Congress.  Actions that are those necessary to make him a pariah.

well put.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 12:34:31 am »

That's just silly.  Because they don't think he has the characteristics to be Speaker right now, that's isolation and stigmatization?

Good grief. 

Godzilla

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 12:38:15 am »
That's just silly.  Because they don't think he has the characteristics to be Speaker right now, that's isolation and stigmatization?

Good grief.

Now you're diverting the subject.

All this was about the 'conservative' caucus in the House trying to 'fire' McCarthy from a job he doesn't even have as yet.

Not you and your person opinion on McCarthy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:38:58 am by Godzilla »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 12:42:48 am »

Now, that's funny!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 12:47:43 am »

All this was about the 'conservative' caucus in the House trying to 'fire' McCarthy from a job he doesn't even have as yet.

Not you and your person opinion on McCarthy.

I've been trying to put my finger on the difference between those folks who support the status quo establishment and those whacky firebrands who'd like to fire the lot of 'em?

I have my theory, but mulling it over before coming out with it. ^-^

Online libertybele

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 12:54:58 am »

Pariahs??  Sticking up for conservative values and principles and not letting the DEMS get away with their crap is being a pariah?? Oh my!  Not only do voters NOT want a member of the GOPe to become the next president, they also do NOT want a member of the GOPe as Speaker of the House.

Some better candidates other than McCarthy (in no particular order):

Curt Clawson, Louie Gohmert, Mark Meadows, Justin Amash, Dave Brat, Ken Buck, Jim Jordan, Dana Rohrabacher. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Godzilla

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 01:03:16 am »
Pariahs??  Sticking up for conservative values and principles and not letting the DEMS get away with their crap is being a pariah?? Oh my!  Not only do voters NOT want a member of the GOPe to become the next president, they also do NOT want a member of the GOPe as Speaker of the House.

Curt Clawson, Louie Gohmert, Mark Meadows, Justin Amash, Dave Brat, Ken Buck, Jim Jordan, Dana Rohrabacher.

Any of them running for the position?

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 01:12:57 am »
Pariahs like Gohmert?  Since when?  Or, only in your mind?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/01/31/mark_levin_the_muslim_brotherhood_has_infiltrated_our_government_its_called_barack_obama.html

"Michele Bachmann and Louie Gohmert and three other brave members of the House of Representatives asked questions about the Muslim Brotherhood's infiltration of our own government and they're treated like pariahs. "-  Mark Levin

Clearly Mark Levin thinks Gohmert is an outcast in the eyes of his fellow Congressmen.  How can he lead them?

bkepley

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 01:21:32 am »
I have pizza.  I'm talking really good pizza too not just nonsense.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 01:40:16 am »
Once-Ler wrote above:
[[ Perhaps McCarthy is all of those but OK, who would you choose to fill the Speaker chair? ]]

David Brat of Virginia, who defeated Eric Cantor.

He speaks well for himself.

I'd like him to "speak for me"...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 01:56:30 am »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/01/31/mark_levin_the_muslim_brotherhood_has_infiltrated_our_government_its_called_barack_obama.html

"Michele Bachmann and Louie Gohmert and three other brave members of the House of Representatives asked questions about the Muslim Brotherhood's infiltration of our own government and they're treated like pariahs. "-  Mark Levin

Clearly Mark Levin thinks Gohmert is an outcast in the eyes of his fellow Congressmen.  How can he lead them?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 02:07:45 am »

How about some feedback from a member of Rohrabacher's constituency?

That is me. And in previous blowups, when the "Tea Party" got too uppity, I called Dana's office and talked to staff.

Guess what? They think the far right are "whacko-birds!!!" Dana is probably too polished and genteel, to say it himself outright.

He is a down to earth guy. He was "tea party" before there was a TP. His wife is active in town. Dana surfs some when he can.

You can go on telling yourself a fellow who gets told by his colleagues to "sit down and shut up" by a 98-2 vote, is winning hearts and minds, but I say different.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 02:35:05 am »
You can go on telling yourself a fellow who gets told by his colleagues to "sit down and shut up" by a 98-2 vote, is winning hearts and minds, but I say different.

Check this out ts
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,181890.0.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 03:02:11 am »
Once-Ler wrote above:
[[ Perhaps McCarthy is all of those but OK, who would you choose to fill the Speaker chair? ]]

David Brat of Virginia, who defeated Eric Cantor.

He speaks well for himself.

I'd like him to "speak for me"...

Fantastic.  Now all he needs is the votes of 218 of his fellow Republicans.  Best get to it.