Author Topic: Why Are We Still Listening to Karl Rove?.....By: Jeffrey Lord  (Read 2871 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why Are We Still Listening to Karl Rove?.....By: Jeffrey Lord
« on: September 28, 2015, 01:37:26 pm »
https://www.conservativereview.com/Commentary/2015/09/why-are-we-still-listening-to-karl-rove

Why Are We Still Listening to Karl Rove?
Print

By: Jeffrey Lord | September 27th, 2015

Karl Rove doesn’t get it.

Actually, that’s not true. Karl Rove gets it exactly. And like clockwork, draws the wrong conclusions.

This time the Rovian mindset—the Establishment mindset—is on display in his latest column in the Wall Street Journal:

Government Shutdown as Self-Promotion

Planned Parenthood ought to be defunded, but trying to do it this way invites disaster.

In another ode to what Ronald Reagan used to disdain as the “pale pastel” nature of the GOP’s “fraternal order” Republicans, Rove writes:

These Republicans’ motive is sound, but the problem is tactics. Some in the GOP say that unless Planned Parenthood is defunded, they’re willing to shut down the federal government—which would be a disaster for the pro-life cause. Pro-life leaders understand that the 2013 government shutdown damaged the Republican Party. The GOP’s favorable rating after the 2012 election stood at 43%, according to Gallup, but dropped during the shutdown to 28%—a record low for either party. Supporters of the 2013 shutdown claim otherwise. After all, they argue, by the 2014 election, the GOP’s Gallup rating had climbed back to 42%, and Republicans won nine additional Senate seats and added 13 House seats. But those victories were despite the shutdown, not because of it. No new senator or representative campaigned by promising more shutdowns. …If right-to-life leaders oppose a government shutdown over Planned Parenthood, why are some Republicans so intent on trying to force one? A few presidential hopefuls seem to want a shutdown to burnish their credentials with primary voters. But they cannot explain how they will get the votes to pass the defunding measure or overcome a presidential veto. Without such a plan, this is simply self-promotion. ….Republicans in Congress who want to risk a shutdown over Planned Parenthood have an obligation to spell out how they would get it done. They can’t. That’s why any Republicans who engineer a shutdown will be unwitting allies of the abortion movement. Life is too important to let the GOP’s suicide caucus damage the cause with such an ill-considered effort.

continued

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

bkepley

Re: Why Are We Still Listening to Karl Rove?.....By: Jeffrey Lord
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:46:12 pm »
I think the question is why does anyone think anyone is listening to him?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 02:06:08 pm »
Karl was an excellent direct mail consultant.  To bad he didn't stick to what he does well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:06:52 pm »
Why did anyone ever listen to Turdblossom?
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 03:31:26 pm »
Obligatory:

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 03:58:57 pm »
Karl was an excellent direct mail consultant.  To bad he didn't stick to what he does well.

The 2004 Bush campaign was brilliant, especially the final drive, and that's why it was successful.

Had the same tactics been used with Romney (not sure about McCain), he would have been President.

You are correct in saying he should have stuck with his strong suit.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 12:50:17 am »
The 2004 Bush campaign was brilliant, especially the final drive, and that's why it was successful.

Had the same tactics been used with Romney (not sure about McCain), he would have been President.

You are correct in saying he should have stuck with his strong suit. 

I don't know what Rove's strong point is.  But I remember the 2004 election a little differently.  We were perilously close to a President Kerry.  And then Osama raised his ugly, wicked head threatening the US very close to election day. 

Charles Krathammer wrote a wonderful article on that election.  I'll not forget his last line:  "And then Osama pulled his nemesis over the finish line."  I'll look for the article and post a link if I'm lucky enough to find it.  It really is worth the read.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:50:56 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 01:12:30 am »

I don't know what Rove's strong point is.  But I remember the 2004 election a little differently.  We were perilously close to a President Kerry.  And then Osama raised his ugly, wicked head threatening the US very close to election day. 

Charles Krathammer wrote a wonderful article on that election.  I'll not forget his last line:  "And then Osama pulled his nemesis over the finish line."  I'll look for the article and post a link if I'm lucky enough to find it.  It really is worth the read.

I was on the Bush steering committee in our county, in charge of the phone drive, and I can tell you that the election day drive was so far superior to any other year I've worked that it was remarkable.

The final week of the Romney campaign was dismal relative to the Bush campaign, and the election results proved it.

(Also, don't forget the amount of Democrat fraud in 2004.  The only reason the election was close was because of the filth of the Democrat party).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 03:44:24 am »
I was on the Bush steering committee in our county, in charge of the phone drive, and I can tell you that the election day drive was so far superior to any other year I've worked that it was remarkable.

I'm glad it was remarkable.  But that effort alone was not enough, IMHO, to pull GWB over the finish line.   Kerry was on his way to victory. We all knew it at the time.  In truth,  did we not luxuriate in the MSM's shocked reaction to W's next-day win? 

GWB would have been a one term president, not diminishing your personal efforts -- or even Rove's, had Osama bin Laden not so wonderfully miscalculated.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »
I'm glad it was remarkable.  But that effort alone was not enough, IMHO, to pull GWB over the finish line.   Kerry was on his way to victory. We all knew it at the time.  In truth,  did we not luxuriate in the MSM's shocked reaction to W's next-day win? 

GWB would have been a one term president, not diminishing your personal efforts -- or even Rove's, had Osama bin Laden not so wonderfully miscalculated.

Interesting take on the situation, but I completely disagree.

(And I was not touting my 'personal efforts'..... just stating where I was and what I was doing to indicate that I saw the campaign at work, up close and personal, as it were, and observed that it was far more efficient than other Presidential campaigns I had worked on).

If you want to think Karl Rove had nothing to do with the victory, because you don't like the guy, fine.  I was just agreeing with Bigun that he should have stuck to what he was good at.  That's all.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 05:50:50 pm »
If you want to think Karl Rove had nothing to do with the victory, because you don't like the guy, fine.  That's all. 

You've got quite a gift for twisting words and changing their clear meaning to fit your momentary need.  Quite a gift.    :whistle:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 09:35:42 pm »
You've got quite a gift for twisting words and changing their clear meaning to fit your momentary need.  Quite a gift.    :whistle:

I was thinking the same thing about you when you twisted my words so that you could imagine they looked like I was bragging and not just citing my experience which backed up my opinion.

Of course, you've done this multiple times, so I didn't bother to mention it before, but it seems appropriate now that you've projected your own behavior onto  me......  **nononono*

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 02:18:40 pm »
Obligatory:

Please don't make me laugh, it makes my scar hurt.   8888crybaby
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 02:21:19 pm »

The final week of the Romney campaign was dismal relative to the Bush campaign, and the election results proved it.

(Also, don't forget the amount of Democrat fraud in 2004.  The only reason the election was close was because of the filth of the Democrat party).

I do have to give Turdblossom credit for that, the GOP GOTV for that year was pretty good.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 04:42:14 pm »
I do have to give Turdblossom credit for that, the GOP GOTV for that year was pretty good.

It was like a well-oiled machine relative to other Presidential elections.  If Romney had had the same system in place in the final days, I'm convinced he would have won the election.

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 11:38:39 pm »

ML, I don't say this often enough, but I'm really glad you're here--you always make me LOL!   You are simply the best!!    88devil

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 11:53:17 pm »
ML, I don't say this often enough, but I'm really glad you're here--you always make me LOL!   You are simply the best!!    88devil

And I, myself, am always amused by your sorry attempts to insult me and put me 'in my  place.'

(Even though you have no idea what you're talking about). 

I can count on some sort of bizarro slams from you, and you haven't let me down on this thread....   :smokin: 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 12:09:24 am »
Just for the record, a decade or so ago, I was floored by mindless insults from internet strangers, but it's been a long while since I was bothered by the mockery of people who haven't got a clue......

That's why I am so amused by RIV.  Carry on!  :patriot:

bkepley

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 12:17:11 am »
And I, myself, am always amused by your sorry attempts to insult me and put me 'in my  place.'

(Even though you have no idea what you're talking about). 

I can count on some sort of bizarro slams from you, and you haven't let me down on this thread....   :smokin:

It is always doing so.  Pretty much nothing to offer except that really.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 12:40:58 am »
I love it that not a single person on this thread was able to refute Rove's points.

Instead, we have ad hominems and just general trashing of him. But Rove is right about a shutdown and everybody here knows it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 12:44:46 am »
I love it that not a single person on this thread was able to refute Rove's points.

Instead, we have ad hominems and just general trashing of him. But Rove is right about a shutdown and everybody here knows it.

Rove is jut one more surrender monkey and God knows we have plenty of them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

bkepley

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 12:47:27 am »

I don't know jack about Karl Rove's abilities honestly.  To me he's like the all the rest of the hangers on important for a time and then forgotten.  Whatever happened to the hotshot Jody Powell?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 01:02:03 am »
I don't know jack about Karl Rove's abilities honestly.  To me he's like the all the rest of the hangers on important for a time and then forgotten.  Whatever happened to the hotshot Jody Powell?

Rove got W elected twice, and that was a feat in itself, especially in 2000. 

I find him interesting at times, not so interesting at others.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

bkepley

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 01:07:07 am »
Rove got W elected twice, and that was a feat in itself, especially in 2000. 

Maybe but against Gore or Kerry I wouldn't bet against W even today.

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 01:38:44 am »
And I, myself, am always amused by your sorry attempts to insult me and put me 'in my  place.'  I can count on some sort of bizarro slams from you, and you haven't let me down on this thread....   

Sounds about right to me.  I appreciate you sharing this.

Just please promise to always remember that I adore you for sharing your worldview.  It is priceless.   

Luv ya, ML.   :beer: