Author Topic: The GOP Is Killing Itself  (Read 2385 times)

Godzilla

The GOP Is Killing Itself
« on: September 23, 2015, 03:40:45 am »
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/campaigns-elections/gop-nativism-2016/

PETER WEHNER / SEPT. 22, 2015

It’s still early – more than four months before the first vote is cast – but the Republican Party is showing signs it is intent on kicking away a very winnable election in 2016.

It’s doing so by presenting a picture of the party to the American people that is intolerant, bigoted and nativist.

It started in mid-June, with Donald Trump’s announcement, when he characterized people coming from Mexico this way: “They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

Mr. Trump has since shot to the top of the polls while advocating the mass deportation of 11 million undocumented workers in America and ending birthright citizenship. He has also argued for a “pause” in legal immigration, with other presidential candidates embracing some elements of the Trump agenda.

Then there’s Ben Carson, who this weekend declared, “I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that.”

These issues, combined with the accompanying rhetoric (including from people like Ann Coulter and others on the right), is toxic for the Republican Party. It’s signaling to non-white Americans, including legal Americans, they are not liked nor wanted nor welcomed in the GOP’s America.

Last night a close friend of mine — a legal immigrant, marvelously successful, and a long-time Republican — sent me a note in which he said this: “It’s hard to express just how depressed and depressing I find the current Republican discussions on immigration. I came to this country thinking it was one that welcomes immigrants — especially if you had something to offer by way of talents and willingness to work.Over time I came to believe the Republican Party was truly the party of ‘free markets and free people’. Now I really have trouble believing that.”

The message being sent to voters is this: The Republican Party is led by people who are profoundly uncomfortable with the changing (and inevitable) demographic nature of our nation. The GOP is longing to return to the past and is fearful of the future. It is a party that is characterized by resentments and grievances, by distress and dismay, by the belief that America is irredeemably corrupt and past the point of no return. “The American dream is dead,” in the emphatic words of Mr. Trump.

This is all quite troubling to those of us who are Republicans and find these attitudes repellant. Thankfully not all the Republican presidential candidates hold such views. Former Florida governor Jeb Bush, Governors Chris Christie and John Kasich, and Senator Marco Rubio are dissenters from this outlook. But the two men now leading in the polls – Mr. Trump and Dr. Carson – are appealing to the uglier impulses of our society. They seem intent on pitting American against American. And their words are searing themselves upon the imagination of the American people.

It was said of Lincoln, the first great Republican, that he was “the one man who had quite purged his heart and mind from hatred or even anger towards his fellow-countrymen”; that “in this man a natural wealth of tender compassion became richer and more tender while in the stress of deadly conflict he developed an astounding strength.”

In our time, we could use a lot more Lincoln and a lot less Trump and Carson.

---

Peter Wehner is a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center. Previously he worked in the administrations of Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and George W. Bush.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:41:35 am by Godzilla »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: The GOP Is Killing Itself
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 04:11:51 am »
Insightful piece Godzilla...check out this one.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-09-22/scott-walker-s-fall-and-why-republican-conservatives-lose
Walker's Fall and Why Conservatives Lose

By Jonathan Bernstein

What went wrong for Scott Walker? Several theories abound, and I'll add one, too. But first consider what political scientist Patrick Egan said:

Patrick J. Egan @Patrick_J_Egan

A non-post-hoc @GovWalker explainer should say: he was a high-quality candidate; we don't really know why he lost his momentum. Full stop.

Keeping his admonition in mind, let's look at some of the explanations we've heard for Walker's early exit.

Washington Examiner's Byron York, for example, makes the case that Walker simply wasn't up to snuff on basic issues, international and domestic.

But every candidate has weaknesses. It wouldn't have been hard to explain why Mitt Romney in 2012 and John McCain in 2008 lost the Republican nomination. Yet both won it. So we can't know, in isolation, if Walker was an inherently weak candidate.

Another theory: I like Nate Silver's reminder that luck may play a significant role in nomination politics. It's easy to imagine slightly different circumstances yielding different results. What if Donald Trump hadn't gotten in, or flamed out quickly? What if Walker had simply been asked more questions during the two debates he participated in? (He talked, as Silver shows, the least of any of the candidates.)

A third possible explanation comes from my View colleague Ramesh Ponnuru, who argues (as Silver does) that "there's no middle lane in the Republican primaries." That is, a candidate can't simultaneously please hardcore and moderate conservatives at the same time. Ultimately, Walker "wasn't pure enough for the purists," but his efforts to satisfy them pushed away mainstream conservatives.

But if there's no path available for a very conservative candidate to be acceptable to the rest of the party, then it isn't a coincidence that relatively moderate conservatives including Romney and McCain win nominations.

In fact, not only do those candidates win, but they rarely have a strong (more) conservative opponent in the end.  Candidates who seem like the logical choice for the "Buckley Rule" -- the idea that conservatives should vote for the "rightwardmost viable candidate" -- simply don’t get coordinated support from conservative party actors. So Walker is out early this time (and another strongly conservative candidate, Bobby Jindal, for example, has floundered).

Part of the reason that the most conservative viable candidates have faded in the last several presidential cycles is that the winning GOP nominee -- Romney, McCain, George W. Bush -- adopted their platform. So in some ways, hardliners are getting their way. But no one believes that these more mainstream nominees have the same conservative instincts as the hardliners do.

So why haven't the purists followed the Buckley Rule and rallied around candidates such as Walker?

Some of it is the inherent nature of what Ponnuru correctly calls "purism." If all you care about is perfection, then every candidate is going to come up short.

Another possibility is that some conservative opinion leaders face perverse incentives because of the way the conservative marketplace doles out rewards.

It's well-known that conservative books and talk shows have higher ratings when a Democrat is in the White House and that losing can be a lucrative option for conservative candidates. This doesn't mean conservatives deliberately tank elections. But the entire U.S. political system is built on incentives for ambitious politicians, and it's important to be aware when the normal rewards are running backward.

How many talk-show hosts present themselves as True Conservatives who preach the truth against party RINOs such as John Boehner? Could they do the same thing if Louie Gohmert was House speaker? Similarly, rallying around and nominating a Scott Walker (or Bobby Jindal or any other very conservative, traditionally qualified choice) would remove anger at the Republican Party from their arsenal. Some radio hosts have been talking up the not-very-conservative Donald Trump or Ben Carson, not conservatives who can win.

Fortunately for those who want to make sure that the most conservative electable candidate wins, there's a solution: Follow the Buckley Rule. Whether that means supporting Marco Rubio or Mike Huckabee or Rick Santorum or Bobby Jindal, the point is to decide which one of the remaining viable candidates is most conservative, and coordinate on supporting him. If this doesn't happen, more moderate conservatives will pick the nominee.

1    Sure, Ben Carson is very conservative -- but candidates without conventional credentials for the job will be unacceptable to most party actors, regardless of how they do in early opinion polls. Telling sign? He has hardly any high-profile endorsements.

2    The same dynamic works for Democrats. Ratings go up for liberal shows when Republicans hold the White House. It matters less because (for whatever reason) the liberal marketplace just isn't as robust, and therefore doesn't really develop significant perverse incentives.

3    Viable candidates? Those who have conventional qualifications for the job, and are in the party mainstream on public policy. Ted Cruz might qualify on those counts, but has angered too many party actors to have a solid chance at the nomination. 

Godzilla

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:38:47 pm »
Interesting read.

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:07:44 pm »
There are a lot of things this season is saying and none of them very good. It didn't have to be that way.  luckily the Dems have the same problem.

Godzilla

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 10:20:45 pm »
There are a lot of things this season is saying and none of them very good. It didn't have to be that way.  luckily the Dems have the same problem.

This election is the Republicans to lose, just like the 2012 elections.  And just like 2012, the Republican voter turned nativist.  The difference is that in 2012, we were still polite about it.

In 2016, the hate is open for all to see.

And what makes it worse is that the GOP base is shrinking as they get more rabidly nativist. 

---

What makes this so tragic is that we did a 'post-mortem' of the 2012 elections and identified what we needed to do to stay competitive for the Presidential elections.  And we've been doing everything in our power to worsen the faults identified four years ago.

And if anyone doubts this... just ask yourself if you expect to still be around 3-4 Presidential elections from now.

I will,  bkepley will, but how many more expect to be here in 2032 or 2038?

bkepley

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 10:25:40 pm »
This election is the Republicans to lose, just like the 2012 elections.  And just like 2012, the Republican voter turned nativist.  The difference is that in 2012, we were still polite about it.

In 2016, the hate is open for all to see.

And what makes it worse is that the GOP base is shrinking as they get more rabidly nativist. 

---

What makes this so tragic is that we did a 'post-mortem' of the 2012 elections and identified what we needed to do to stay competitive for the Presidential elections.  And we've been doing everything in our power to worsen the faults identified four years ago.

And if anyone doubts this... just ask yourself if you expect to still be around 3-4 Presidential elections from now.

I will,  bkepley will, but how many more expect to be here in 2032 or 2038?

bkepley is an old man and will not be here much longer.
The "nativist" stuff would not be so bad if the leader was a competent advocate.

Godzilla

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 11:43:14 pm »
bkepley is an old man and will not be here much longer.
The "nativist" stuff would not be so bad if the leader was a competent advocate.

My apologies.  I think the point is still valid, though.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 12:55:11 am »
This is crap.  "Nativist" and "do want sovereign borders and do not want rampant illegal influx of people who are reluctant to assimilate and low-skilled" are not equivalent. 

I'm not a Trump defender by any stretch of the imagination, but I do appreciate that he's brought this problem into the discussion. 

And, there's a reason that Trump is doing so well, among a pretty diverse crowd.  Obviously it's not because of his eloquence or his ability to get along with other get-alongers, or his solid GOP credentials.  In fact, I would say it's because he lacks those qualities.

Godzilla

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 12:56:57 am »
This is crap.  "Nativist" and "do want sovereign borders and do not want rampant illegal influx of people who are reluctant to assimilate and low-skilled" are not equivalent. 

I'm not a Trump defender by any stretch of the imagination, but I do appreciate that he's brought this problem into the discussion. 

And, there's a reason that Trump is doing so well, among a pretty diverse crowd.  Obviously it's not because of his eloquence or his ability to get along with other get-alongers, or his solid GOP credentials.  In fact, I would say it's because he lacks those qualities.

Nativist is saying that we should strip Americans of their citizenship because of their parents.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 01:00:05 am »
Nativist is saying that we should strip Americans of their citizenship because of their parents.

You made my point.

Godzilla

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 01:02:45 am »
You made my point.

Oh, I don't think so.

Ending birthright citizenship means that a large number of people, born in America and currently holding US citizenship, would lose it.

And it's now a big issue motivating Republicans.

That's nativism.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 01:07:35 am »
The only place I have heard any discussion of the GOP wanting to end birthright citizenship is in the left-wing media.

Offline Politics4us

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 02:40:34 am »
Pete Wehner belongs in the Democrat Party.