Author Topic: Scott Walker Drops Out of GOP Race  (Read 2664 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Scott Walker Drops Out of GOP Race
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 04:20:58 am »
t_s and I go back a long way here at TBR. He's a Californian and as such he is steeped in Mexican culture. I believe that's where his disagreement with conservatives stem. He's knowledgeable and a good guy but his blind spot is illegal immigration. He sees conservative's criticism of illegal Mexicans as disrespect for all Mexicans. Not true. So between us we have some issues to work out.
Californian steeped in Mexican culture? How about Californian, steeped in Goldwater-Reagan libertarian leaning small government conservative realism.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 04:27:20 am »
Californian steeped in Mexican culture? How about Californian, steeped in Goldwater-Reagan libertarian leaning small government conservative realism.

My kind of guy!!!     :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 01:07:51 pm »
I think Steyn nails it on Walker's suspension of his campaign.  I'm glad Walker is out of the race.  Everyone asked Trump to pledge to support the GOP candidate if he didn't make it as nominee, yet Walker is asking others to step down in order to take Trump out.  Walker didn't lose because of Trump, Walker lost because of Walker.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4502213970001/mark-steyn-on-the-future-of-the-gop-field-clinton-campaign/?intcmp=hpvid1#sp=show-clips
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 01:30:38 pm »

I was a Californian for 23 years. California is awash with Mexican influence: Santa Anna, San Luis Obispo, San Rafael, San Francisco. That's not a negative, by the way. I'm the first to celebrate Mexican culture, it's music, food and character. But I won't celebrate illegal immigration.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 01:33:20 pm »
...sorry. Just realized how off topic this turned. But, before getting back on topic, even United Farm Workers' Cesar Chavez didn't celebrate illegal immigration; in fact, he condemned it and campaigned against it because he said it keeps farm workers' wages artificially low.

I think Steyn nails it on Walker's suspension of his campaign.  I'm glad Walker is out of the race.  Everyone asked Trump to pledge to support the GOP candidate if he didn't make it as nominee, yet Walker is asking others to step down in order to take Trump out.  Walker didn't lose because of Trump, Walker lost because of Walker.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4502213970001/mark-steyn-on-the-future-of-the-gop-field-clinton-campaign/?intcmp=hpvid1#sp=show-clips

Yeah, I lost some respect for Walker when he said that.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:36:50 pm by aligncare »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 01:45:13 pm »

I completely agree with you.  Scott Walker was my top two pick, no one wanted him to succeed more than I.  But I find myself pretty disappointed in his whiny sore loser exit speech.  Maybe he'll be back again in presidential politics, but he sure wasn't ready this time and neither was Rick Perry.  Poor organization seems to be the reason, plus an inability to emerge from the pack. 

I gotta say this, I don't think someone like Scott Walker - someone that is trying to win by being polite and waiting their turn to speak - is going to have a chance going up against the Democrat, and it's looking more and more like that is going to be Joe Biden.  Hillary would have been far easier to defeat.

I can't help remembering how Paul Ryan was in the debate with Biden.  Hate Trump is you want to, but I think he is uniquely equipped to take on Joe Biden.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 02:11:27 pm »
I completely agree with you.  Scott Walker was my top two pick, no one wanted him to succeed more than I.  But I find myself pretty disappointed in his whiny sore loser exit speech.  Maybe he'll be back again in presidential politics, but he sure wasn't ready this time and neither was Rick Perry.  Poor organization seems to be the reason, plus an inability to emerge from the pack. 

I gotta say this, I don't think someone like Scott Walker - someone that is trying to win by being polite and waiting their turn to speak - is going to have a chance going up against the Democrat, and it's looking more and more like that is going to be Joe Biden.  Hillary would have been far easier to defeat.

I can't help remembering how Paul Ryan was in the debate with Biden.  Hate Trump is you want to, but I think he is uniquely equipped to take on Joe Biden.

I don't recall the debate between Uncle Joe and Ryan either.  Keep in mind though, that Hillary has tried to distance herself from Barry and with Biden being his VP it will be impossible for him to distance himself. One of the ways that Biden would excite and draw the voting base needed is to announce that if given the nomination he would pick Warren as his VP. If that happens (and I think it will) there is no way that a GOPe candidate will win.  God help us if we have 4 years of Joe and then 8 years of Warren.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 02:34:01 pm »

I listened to Walker's speech, and I didn't see it as 'whining' at all.  He said that sometimes the best way to serve is to get out of the way, and he called for others to support a conservative alternative to the non-conservative front runner.

I thought it was humble and patriotic, just like Walker himself is.

He's young.  I think he made the right decision at this time, and that his future is bright.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 04:32:29 pm »
I listened to Walker's speech, and I didn't see it as 'whining' at all.  He said that sometimes the best way to serve is to get out of the way, and he called for others to support a conservative alternative to the non-conservative front runner.

I thought it was humble and patriotic, just like Walker himself is.

He's young.  I think he made the right decision at this time, and that his future is bright.

Yes he is a patriot, but he also asked others to step down so that a strong true conservative might be able to take down the front runner.  I don't see that as very humble.  IMHO Walker got it wrong in placing blame. He needs to understand that voters don't want anyone associated with the establishment. They no longer trust the establishment and rightfully so.  The GOP establishment has failed the voters and it is the failure of the GOP establishment that has divided the party.  The only ones holding back a true conservative are the GOPe candidates like Bush, Christie, Kasich and Graham.  If they were out of the race, I think that there is a strong possibility that Walker would still be in.

bkepley

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2015, 04:52:25 pm »
The only ones holding back a true conservative are the GOPe candidates like Bush, Christie, Kasich and Graham.  If they were out of the race, I think that there is a strong possibility that Walker would still be in.

Well maybe that's who he was talking about?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2015, 05:24:26 pm »
Yes he is a patriot, but he also asked others to step down so that a strong true conservative might be able to take down the front runner.  I don't see that as very humble.  IMHO Walker got it wrong in placing blame. He needs to understand that voters don't want anyone associated with the establishment. They no longer trust the establishment and rightfully so.  The GOP establishment has failed the voters and it is the failure of the GOP establishment that has divided the party.  The only ones holding back a true conservative are the GOPe candidates like Bush, Christie, Kasich and Graham.  If they were out of the race, I think that there is a strong possibility that Walker would still be in.

I'm not sure why you see stepping down to allow a smaller conservative field to take over the front runner status from non-Conservative, Progressive Trump is not humble, but I certainly do.

As for the 'establishment,' Walker himself is not part of it, and there are other conservatives in the field who have fought the establishment (your guy, Cruz, for one).  Bobby Jindal is strongly conservative and is still in the race, and certainly doesn't qualify as a dreaded GOPe either.  Fiorina and Carson are both non-establishment, and both more conservative than Trump by a long shot.

I think Walker was seeking God for guidance, and I think he found it.  I have nothing but respect for the man.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.