Author Topic: Jerry Seinfeld Explains The Perfect Way To Handle Donald Trump  (Read 874 times)

bkepley

Jerry Seinfeld Explains The Perfect Way To Handle Donald Trump
« on: September 11, 2015, 06:51:23 pm »
Sean Davis
The Federalist

Donald Trump, in case you haven’t noticed, loves to say ridiculous things. Saying ridiculous things is the secret to his media success. He got famous, after all, by humiliating and firing people on national television.

Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign has been no different. Earlier this week, he decided to attack Carly Fiorina’s personal appearance during an interview with Rolling Stone:

When the anchor throws to Carly Fiorina for her reaction to Trump’s momentum, Trump’s expression sours in schoolboy disgust as the camera bores in on Fiorina. “Look at that face!” he cries. “Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?!” The laughter grows halting and faint behind him. “I mean, she’s a woman, and I’m not s’posedta say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?”

It’s not unusual for Trump to attack the looks of women he wishes to demean. When he wants to put a man in his place, he focuses on the man’s bank account. In 2011, he insulted Mitt Romney, of all people, by noting that Mitt Romney was basically a poor person compared to Trump.

“I mean my net worth is many, many, many times Mitt Romney,” Trump said.

By many indications, Donald Trump appears to believe a man’s worth as a human being is based solely on his monetary wealth, while a woman’s worth is based on her looks. After all, this is a man who complimented his own daughter by saying he would probably date her if she weren’t his daughter, on account of her “very nice figure.”

This kind of behavior, and these kind of statements, are not the fruits of a healthy outlook on life. While many people regularly mock Trump for his outlandishness, I actually feel bad for him. I pity the desperate need for external affirmation through fame and wealth. As I wrote when Trump first announced his 2016 candidacy, I don’t think Donald Trump needs a campaign; what he needs is a hug. I legitimately feel bad for the guy.

Which brings us to Jerry Seinfeld’s advice for how to handle someone like Trump.

During a reddit AMA in 2014, comedian Jerry Seinfeld was asked how he handled hecklers who disrupted his sets. His answer provides a perfect blueprint on how Republican strategists, pundits, and presidential candidates should handle Donald Trump, who is basically a C-list comedy club heckler masquerading as a White House contender.

Here’s what Jerry Seinfeld said:

Very early on in my career, I hit upon this idea of being the Heckle Therapist. So that when people would say something nasty, I would immediately become very sympathetic to them and try to help them with their problem and try to work out what was upsetting them, and try to be very understanding with their anger. It opened up this whole fun avenue for me as a comedian, and no one had ever seen that before. Some of my comedian friends used to call me – what did they say? – that I would counsel the heckler instead of fighting them. Instead of fighting them, I would say “You seem so upset, and I know that’s not what you wanted to have happen tonight. Let’s talk about your problem” and the audience would find it funny and it would really discombobulate the heckler too, because I wouldn’t go against them, I would take their side.

Republican skeptics of Trump shouldn’t become outraged every time Trump says something absurd or ridiculous. They should be sympathetic. Republican candidates on the debate stage with Trump shouldn’t attack him, they should feel empathy for him.

Don’t ridicule Trump for the kind of behavior that would never be tolerated from toddlers, let alone fully grown adults. Instead, engage him and ask him why he thinks a rich, powerful, famous man like himself feels the need to belittle the looks of a cancer survivor.

As Seinfeld noted, the key to disarming an angry, insecure heckler who’s desperate for attention isn’t a quick, witty response. It’s pity.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/09/10/jerry-seinfeld-explains-the-perfect-way-to-handle-donald-trump/

Online andy58-in-nh

Re: Jerry Seinfeld Explains The Perfect Way To Handle Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 07:15:15 pm »
I like it. Oh, I like it a lot.

Especially the money quote:

"Don’t ridicule Trump for the kind of behavior that would never be tolerated from toddlers, let alone fully grown adults. Instead, engage him and ask him why he thinks a rich, powerful, famous man like himself feels the need to belittle the looks of a cancer survivor."

There isn't much that seems to shut Donald up, but that just might do it. Or maybe, just maybe, force him to think: "Holy crap. Why am I being such a schmuck?"
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:16:53 pm »
Seinfeld?  Good grief; coming from Seinfeld who I find has one of the most annoying personalities that there is.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 07:23:23 pm »
Seinfeld?  Good grief; coming from Seinfeld who I find has one of the most annoying personalities that there is.

Actually Seinfeld said nothing about Trump that I know of.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 07:30:15 pm »
Actually Seinfeld said nothing about Trump that I know of.

??? Giving advice on how to handle Trump is not saying anything about him??  Ok.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 07:37:26 pm »
??? Giving advice on how to handle Trump is not saying anything about him??  Ok.

He gave advice in 2014 on how to handle hecklers.  The title of this is misleading.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 07:47:49 pm »
Shouldn't this thread be in the Opinion forum? 
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

bkepley

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »
Shouldn't this thread be in the Opinion forum?

Suits me.  Can I move it there?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 01:45:50 am »
I never watched Seinfeld, and care nothing about him or what he thinks.

Why bother to watch "a show about nothing"?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 03:48:37 am »
Nothing can be pretty funny!

I liked the show - but the article title is misleading.  Jerry Seinfeld is not actually giving advice about Trump - it is repeating something he said a year ago about dealing with hecklers.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 04:13:30 am »
Good article.  Thanks for posting it.