Author Topic: NYT......Why Donald Trump Won’t Fold: Polls and People Speak  (Read 1500 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/us/politics/why-donald-trump-wont-fold-polls-and-people-speak.html?_r=0

Why Donald Trump Won’t Fold: Polls and People Speak

By MICHAEL BARBARO, NATE COHN and JEREMY W. PETERSAUG. 22, 2015

In the command centers of Republican presidential campaigns, aides have drawn comfort from the belief that Donald J. Trump’s dominance in the polls is a political summer fling, like Herman Cain in 2011 — an unsustainable boomlet dependent on megawatt celebrity, narrow appeal and unreliable surveys of Americans with a spotty record of actually voting in primaries.

A growing body of evidence suggests that may be wishful thinking.

A review of public polling, extensive interviews with a host of his supporters in two states and a new private survey that tracks voting records all point to the conclusion that Mr. Trump has built a broad, demographically and ideologically diverse coalition, constructed around personality, not substance, that bridges demographic and political divides. In doing so, he has effectively insulated himself from the consequences of startling statements that might instantly doom rival candidates.

In poll after poll of Republicans, Mr. Trump leads among women, despite having used terms like “fat pigs” and “disgusting animals” to denigrate some of them. He leads among evangelical Christians, despite saying he had never had a reason to ask God for forgiveness. He leads among moderates and college-educated voters, despite a populist and anti-immigrant message thought to resonate most with conservatives and less-affluent voters. He leads among the most frequent, likely voters, even though his appeal is greatest among those with little history of voting

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

bkepley

Re: NYT......Why Donald Trump Won’t Fold: Polls and People Speak
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 11:42:39 pm »
"Constructed around personality not substance".  Who'da thunk.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 01:42:45 am »
bkepley wrote above:
[[ "Constructed around personality not substance".  Who'da thunk. ]]

Well, if YOU were "thinking", you would see that this is a carefully-masked hit piece...

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:51:57 am »
bkepley wrote above:
[[ "Constructed around personality not substance".  Who'da thunk. ]]

Well, if YOU were "thinking", you would see that this is a carefully-masked hit piece...

No I've been thinking all along that Trump is a personality with no substance and it's his cheerleaders who are not thinking.

Godzilla

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 01:57:19 am »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 02:02:52 am »
No I've been thinking all along that Trump is a personality with no substance and it's his cheerleaders who are not thinking.

Trump is the one I want turning the 'Free Market' taps back on.

He's not the one by a long shot who I want naming possibly 3 SCOTUS justices.

But there's trillions of $$$ stored away since Obamacare raised its ugly head, and once they are promised that Obamacare is null and void, business will explode.  The millennials will think they'd died and gone to heaven.

Plus, the hothead, "I'll put my boot up your a$$" persona is what this country needs after the milquetoast candidates put forth so far.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 02:13:56 am »
Trump is the one I want turning the 'Free Market' taps back on.

He's not the one by a long shot who I want naming possibly 3 SCOTUS justices.

But there's trillions of $$$ stored away since Obamacare raised its ugly head, and once they are promised that Obamacare is null and void, business will explode.  The millennials will think they'd died and gone to heaven.

Plus, the hothead, "I'll put my boot up your a$$" persona is what this country needs after the milquetoast candidates put forth so far.

Have been observing a handful of Trump protesters here, and one thing stands out to me.  They seem to follow a pre-planned list of talking points, when absorbed over time can be anticipated.  Without substance, these comments just float out there to attract response.  For me, I ignore unless they are directed specifically at me. 

Note:  they are careful to avoid comments that may be interpreted by the mod as having any obscene inuendos--therefore, they continue to divert discussions to the school yard level.  As long as the mods allow this to go on, the silly attacks will go on unabated.  IMHO.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 02:30:47 am »
Cult of Personality

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0

You are entirely wrong here.

Trump's style and presentation are what bug me about him. But, people who personally know him, spent time with him, say the guy we see on tv interviews and on his reality gig is the man in private. What you see is what you get.

No. The few of the aspects of Trump I like are his work ethic, his drive to succeed, his love of country and concerns for veterans and state of our military. He's a smart negotiator and has demonstrated he can deflect media gotchas with ease.

Make no mistake, Donald Trump is a capable man and he can do the presidency. I have always maintained his greatest challenge is getting nominated. But, in a head to head with whomever the democrats scrape up, he wins hands down.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 02:34:43 am by aligncare »

bkepley

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 02:33:48 am »
You are entirely wrong here.

Trump's style and presentation are what bug me about him. But, people who personally know him, spent time with him, say the guy we see on tv interviews and on his reality gig is the man in private. What you see is what you get.

No. The few of aspects of Trump I like are his work ethic, his drive to succeed, his love of country and concerns for veterans and state of our military. He's a smart negotiator and has demonstrated he can deflect media gotchas with ease.

Make no mistake, Donald Trump is a capable man and he can do the presidency. But I have always maintained his greatest challenge is getting nominated. In a head to head with whomever the democrats scrape up, he wins.

Donald Trump is an embarrasment. It is unreal that you actually think he is a good choice.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 02:36:08 am »
Donald Trump is an embarrasment. It is unreal that you actually think he is a good choice.

Well, you know what they say about opinions. But I've been wrong before.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 06:51:36 am »
“Right now I don’t have a second choice,” Mr. Kas-mikha said. “They all blend in to me. It’s Donald Trump — and everyone else.”

“My second choice,” he added, “might be staying at home.”