Author Topic: Trump: Shut down government over Planned Parenthood  (Read 1063 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: Shut down government over Planned Parenthood
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:10:52 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/250159-trump-shut-down-government-over-planned-parenthood

Trump: Shut down government over Planned Parenthood

By Peter Sullivan - 08/04/15 08:32 AM EDT

Donald Trump says that he supports shutting down the government to defund Planned Parenthood in the wake of a series of controversial undercover videos of organization officials.

The Republican presidential contender was asked on The Hugh Hewitt show Monday night if he supported the move. "Well I can tell you this: I would," Trump replied.

Planned Parenthood has been under attack from Republicans over videos that show officials discussing the sale of fetal tissue for medical research. The pro-abortion rights group argues the videos have been heavily edited and are misleading, and that it only accepts compensation to cover expenses.

A procedural vote on the issue was filibustered by Democrats in the Senate on Monday.

Republicans were badly hurt in 2013 by the government shutdown, which was triggered by an effort to defund ObamaCare.

Trump said he also supported the move to defund ObamaCare in 2013.

"I was also in support if the Republicans stuck together you could have done it with ObamaCare also, but the Republicans decided not to stick together and they left a few people out there like Ted Cruz," he said. "You know, they left a lot of the people that really went in and wanted to do the job and you know what? If they had stuck together they would have won that battle."

"I think you have to in this case also, yes," he added.

Trump's statement is sure to put more pressure on Republicans to back defunding of Planned Parenthood, especially as his remarks come days before the first GOP debate.

Trump has led a series of polls measuring the support of GOP presidential candidates.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Longiron

Re: Trump: Shut down government over Planned Parenthood
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:27:15 pm »
'Shut down the Gov't" Really. TRUMP know what shutting down the gov't really means nothing and that is nothing but symbolic???. He is RIGHT ,again!!!!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:29:53 pm »
Republicans were badly hurt in 2013 by the government shutdown

That must be why the republicans took control of both houses in 2014....
Media hack does not even understand what he is writing.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:30:58 pm »
'Shut down the Gov't" Really. TRUMP know what shutting down the gov't really means nothing and that is nothing but symbolic???. He is RIGHT ,again!!!!

So you are ok with continuing to fund PP?
How would you propose to stop it?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:31:54 pm »
That must be why the republicans took control of both houses in 2014....
Media hack does not even understand what he is writing.

IIRC, the hacks around here claimed that the 2014 win would have been even bigger had they not been 'hurt' by the shutdown...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

bkepley

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:36:05 pm »
Interesting...this is getting pretty good coverage.  I actually think this one is a winner for the GOP.  Most people other than the left wing have got to wonder what we are doing funding this stuff anyway.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 05:19:42 pm »
Interesting...this is getting pretty good coverage.  I actually think this one is a winner for the GOP.  Most people other than the left wing have got to wonder what we are doing funding this stuff anyway.

Agree.  And it needs to stressed every time there's a microphone in Trump's face, that he's not against abortion per se, but the federal funding of it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Longiron

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 05:54:23 pm »
So you are ok with continuing to fund PP?
How would you propose to stop it?

Not correct PP should not be funded but do not look for the RINOGOP Senate to do it or HOUSE. What I meant was shutting down the Gov't really is not shutting down the place. The Nat'l Parks get closed, some DC areas but the bills and checks still go out. Barry held up military pay but he knew he would not get challenged like everything else buy the RINOGOP.  If people miss a pay check they know it will be made up. My bad for not making it clearer. **nononono*

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 06:00:26 pm »
Not correct PP should not be funded but do not look for the RINOGOP Senate to do it or HOUSE. What I meant was shutting down the Gov't really is not shutting down the place. The Nat'l Parks get closed, some DC areas but the bills and checks still go out. Barry held up military pay but he knew he would not get challenged like everything else buy the RINOGOP.  If people miss a pay check they know it will be made up. My bad for not making it clearer. **nononono*

ahh, got it... to hot today, sloooow brain working :)
I wonder how long the WH would deal with a shut down if The entire whitehouse and congressional staff budget was put on hold until a resolution was found.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 07:00:05 pm »
Not sure why we would need to shut down government to stop funding of an illegal operation.  OK, I understand Democrats have lots of tricks up their sleeves to stop that from happening, or at least slow the process. But if public opinion is swayed, and that will happen if these horrid videos are made known, like the latest one where potential buyers are shown trays of baby body parts (now on the Blaze) the democrats, will have to take notice.    There is too much at stake to keep defending PP - like not losing the strong political power of the  progressive churches, not to mention moderate Democrats, both of which are capable of being drawn to just the right candidate the Republicans put up - just like the Reagan Democrats.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 07:06:02 pm »
Not sure why we would need to shut down government to stop funding of an illegal operation.  OK, I understand Democrats have lots of tricks up their sleeves to stop that from happening, or at least slow the process. But if public opinion is swayed, and that will happen if these horrid videos are made known, like the latest one where potential buyers are shown trays of baby body parts (now on the Blaze) the democrats, will have to take notice.    There is too much at stake to keep defending PP - like not losing the strong political power of the  progressive churches, not to mention moderate Democrats, both of which are capable of being drawn to just the right candidate the Republicans put up - just like the Reagan Democrats.

What if we put the issue on the national ballot this november and popular vote rules.
That would settle it, I would think.