Author Topic: Assuming we don’t get 19 more polls today, here’s the Republican debate stage  (Read 772 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/08/04/assuming-we-dont-get-19-more-polls-today-heres-the-republican-debate-stage/

By Philip Bump August 4 at 9:28 AM

In the past 48 hours, as of my writing this, there have been five national polls released ranking the Republican candidates for president. That's the pool that Fox News has established as its baseline for determining the ten candidates that will make its debate stage Thursday night, meaning that those 10 candidates will essentially be the ones that were most popular at the end of last week. Four of the five completed their surveys on Sunday.

Will there be more polls before today's 5 p.m. cut-off? Sure, why not. Ten more, 20 more. It's a great way to get a bit of free press, right? We should all have seen this deluge approaching. Dark Sky for polling.

If there aren't any more, the stage will likely look like this. (The influx of new polls from established outlets means that we don't have to wonder if Fox will include polls of iffier methodologies.)

For kicks, here's what the stage looked like about a month ago, when we updated the graphic less frequently, because people weren't dropping polls in our laps every 10 hours.

The people in the top 10 haven't changed much, but they've certainly moved around a lot.

Over the past month, we've seen an interesting change. A month ago, the Real Clear Politics polling average had Jeb Bush with a healthy lead, and everyone else fairly neatly scattered beneath him. Now, there are four distinct tiers in the polling, as shown below.

Why is that? Is it because Republican voters are starting to think about the candidates more deliberately? Is it an artifact of rounding in poll numbers? Is it poll herding? It will be interesting to see if this loosens up as the rate of polling eases and upcoming debates use different standards for inclusion.

Or maybe this is what the 2016 election will be: More and more polls, multiple polls a day from now until next November. If that's the case, I'm probably going to stop updating this graphic.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:37:00 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline NavyCanDo

Here is my pre-debate prediction. There will be a rising star from this debate - a name that will be a huge topic of discussion afterward. Don't know who it will be yet, but it won't be Trump. I think it will take a few debates for non-Trump conservative voters to begin rallying around someone - maybe this rising star. Right now they are spread around the entire field. trumps huge lead will shrink when this begins to happen.

Those disappointed that we will not see Carly Fiorina, worry not. I also think she tops the list as VP choices, and we may see her in the VP debates. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
It appears to me that the only way a tier 3 candidate is going to get traction is if the Trump bandwagon is stopped dead in its tracks.  I am beginning to have my doubts about that happening.

Offline EdinVA

It appears to me that the only way a tier 3 candidate is going to get traction is if the Trump bandwagon is stopped dead in its tracks.  I am beginning to have my doubts about that happening.

Someone has to be tough enough to take it from him.
I am ok with that.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

Rick Perry is done!

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/videos/2015-07-30/-oops-he-did-it-again-can-rick-perry-survive-this-one-

The question was out of left field and had nothing to do with the presidency... don't be twisted by crappy journalism, if I can use that word.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Rick Perry is done!

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/videos/2015-07-30/-oops-he-did-it-again-can-rick-perry-survive-this-one-

There was no gaffe, just a bit of a pregnant pause.  Ultimately, Perry's answer was fine.  This clip is a big yawner.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The question was out of left field and had nothing to do with the presidency... don't be twisted by crappy journalism, if I can use that word.

He did it again last night in New Hampshire over the very same question which got him the last time around.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/03/rick-perry-gaffes-dominate-new-hampshire-forum-former-texas-governor-stumbles-on-immigration/

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Longiron

Someone has to be tough enough to take it from him.
I am ok with that.

Remember whom you are talking about here when you mention the word "TOUGH",  RINOS. That word TOUGH  do not get along well BUT if anyone up stages TRUMP it will be CRUZ. That a good thing. Ben Carson will move up on the list. To Bad CARLY is not on the list ???? Perry did it agian last night in NH. The glasses did not help in the "smart" dept.

Offline EdinVA

Remember whom you are talking about here when you mention the word "TOUGH",  RINOS. That word TOUGH  do not get along well BUT if anyone up stages TRUMP it will be CRUZ. That a good thing. Ben Carson will move up on the list. To Bad CARLY is not on the list ???? Perry did it agian last night in NH. The glasses did not help in the "smart" dept.

My hope is that the GOP will learn from Trump and grow the hell up.
This is not a friendly chess match and the left cannot be allowed to win, no matter the cost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
My hope is that the GOP will learn from Trump and grow the hell up.
This is not a friendly chess match and the left cannot be allowed to win, no matter the cost.

It's WAR for the soul of our country! THAT'S what it is!

- J. R. R. Tolkien