Author Topic: Trump proposes massive one-time tax on the rich (1999)  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Trump proposes massive one-time tax on the rich (1999)
« on: August 02, 2015, 03:00:51 am »
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/11/09/trump.rich/index.html?_s=PM:ALLPOLITICS

Billionaire businessman Donald Trump has a plan to pay off the national debt, grant a middle class a tax cut, and keep Social Security afloat: tax rich people like himself. Trump, a prospective candidate for the Reform Party presidential nomination, is proposing a one-time "net worth tax" on individuals and trusts worth $10 million or more. By Trump's calculations, his proposed 14.25 percent levy on such net worth would raise $5.7 trillion and wipe out the debt in one fell swoop.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:01:54 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Trump proposes massive one-time tax on the rich (1999)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 05:04:11 pm »
Tapping into the populist belief once again - that the Rich don't pay their fair share, sounding more like Hillary, than Reagan.

And There are major problems with Trump's plan:

First, it is doubtful that the super-wealthy actually control as much as $40 trillion of assets ($40 trillion x 14.25 percent tax = $5.7 trillion). The latest Forbes magazine report on the richest 400 Americans places their entire wealth at approximately $1 trillion.
For example, according to Forbes, Bill Gates, Paul Allen and Steve Ballmer, all heavily invested in Microsoft, have a combined net worth of $148 billion. Assuming all their holdings were in Microsoft, they would be forced - in a short span of time - to unload stock worth $21 billion under Trump's plan.

the  biggest obstacle to this and every other radical tax plan - whether it is the flat tax or national sales tax - is the general mistrust of government.

Remember the Tax Reform Act of 1986, which reduced income tax rates and eliminated the capital gains deduction? Congress failed to honor that tax reform legislation and has changed the law almost every year since its enactment.

Who knows whether Trump's one-time wealth tax would never be repeated? Who has confidence that a future Congress would not reactivate the estate tax?

In conclusion, paying off the national debt by soaking the super-rich sounds appealing, but - like other radical tax proposals - it should be considered another political ploy aimed at voters' emotions rather than a solid tax proposal grounded in economic reality.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 05:19:30 pm »
Really, 1999?  Grasping at straws a bit are we?

So you have not changed your thoughts or opinions over the span of nearly 20 years?

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 06:35:40 pm »
Yes that was 1999, but I sure would like to see somebody ask him this question. You in 1999 proposed a one-time massive Tax on the rich to pay off the National Debt. Do you know believe that would have been a mistake?

May as well ask him about him supporting a ban on semi-auto "assault" weapons and a longer waiting period, which in 1999 was his position.
Also from 1999, Trump Favors abortion rights but respects opposition.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 06:51:21 pm »
Yes that was 1999, but I sure would like to see somebody ask him this question. You in 1999 proposed a one-time massive Tax on the rich to pay off the National Debt. Do you know believe that would have been a mistake?

May as well ask him about him supporting a ban on semi-auto "assault" weapons and a longer waiting period, which in 1999 was his position.
Also from 1999, Trump Favors abortion rights but respects opposition.

Trumps Statement on Guns:
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

He said nothing about semi-auto and to date there is NO definition of assault weapon so the conversation is pointless.

Trumps statement on Abortion (1999):
Trump clarified his views on abortion, saying he favors abortion rights, but respects those who oppose his position. “I believe it is a personal decision that should be left to the women and their doctors,” he said.
If you are going to make abortion the front and center issue in this election, the GOP will lose.
Need to fall back on the states and let them make the decision, HOWEVER, federal tax dollars should not be involved in any abortion activities.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 08:03:11 pm »
Trumps Statement on Guns:
He said nothing about semi-auto and to date there is NO definition of assault weapon so the conversation is pointless.

Trumps statement on Abortion (1999):If you are going to make abortion the front and center issue in this election, the GOP will lose.
Need to fall back on the states and let them make the decision, HOWEVER, federal tax dollars should not be involved in any abortion activities.

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:34 pm »

That is fine Kevin... No one is forcing you to listen.... :)

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:35:03 pm »
So, I am to assume from the tone of this piece that if Trump makes it to the Oval Office I should fear that the first billionaire president is going to go after the rich and be a wealth re-distributor? Non-sequitur.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 09:44:46 pm »
So, I am to assume from the tone of this piece that if Trump makes it to the Oval Office I should fear that the first billionaire president is going to go after the rich and be a wealth re-distributor? Non-sequitur.
As long as he does it with bluff, bluster, and bombast, the entertainment hungry "true conservatives" will support virtually anything.

That is just so long as it isn't associated with the Chamber of Commerce, to which their employers belong. But Goldman Sachs is okay, just fine.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 01:00:28 am »
The rich only care about what keeps them rich, relative to the rest of the population. They can handle massive regulations because they have the money and lawyers to be able to navigate it. It's the smaller competition that gets hurt.

There's a reason so many of the super-rich vote Democrat.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Paladin

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 01:48:35 am »
I wonder if anyone else noticed this:

By Trump's calculations, his proposed 14.25 percent levy on such net worth would raise $5.7 trillion and wipe out the debt in one fell swoop.

That was in 1999, 210 years after the adoption of the Constitution and in the same century as 2 World Wars and a devastating economic depression (among other things). What is it now? $18 trillion +, a rise of about 316% in 15 years.

Knock Trump all you wish but at the same time tell us what your guy (or girl) plans to do about this crushing debt which is going to destroy us all eventually.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.