Author Topic: Top Republicans introduce bill to replace dollar with a coin  (Read 797 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/top-republicans-introduce-bill-to-replace-dollar-with-a-coin/article/2569189?utm_campaign=Fox%20News&utm_source=foxnews.com&utm_medium=feed

Sens. John McCain and Mike Enzi want to save billions of dollars by replacing paper dollar bills with coins.

The two Republicans on Wednesday unveiled the proposal as part of legislation aimed at reducing waste in the federal government. According to the two lawmakers, ditching the dollar bill for the "more sustainable and efficient dollar coin" would generate savings ranging from $4.4 billion up to $13.8 billion.

The savings would come by eliminating the need for the Treasury to spend more on printing money than the actual value of the dollar.

"I hear from Arizonans every day who are tired of seeing their limited tax dollars spent on wasteful government programs," said McCain of Arizona. "By reforming and modernizing America's outdated currency system, and moving forward with commonsense good government practices, this bill would enable our country to reduce unnecessary bureaucratic waste and generate billions in taxpayer savings."

bold type mine.

Offline flowers

Re: Top Republicans introduce bill to replace dollar with a coin
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 05:51:48 pm »
this bill would enable our country to reduce unnecessary bureaucratic waste and generate billions in taxpayer savings."
   :thud:  Unreal.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:30 pm »
I so hope that voters wise up and don't re-elect McCain.  It is clearly time for this incompetent blowhard to retire.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 05:56:40 pm »
We just did this and the public refused them.
They did a series of "gold" coins with presidents on them and no one would use them.

We could save more money if we just did away with congress...

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 06:04:36 pm »

We could save more money if we just did away with congress...
  Bingo!!!  We have a winner!! 

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:35:36 pm »
Oh, sure. Let's replace worthless paper with worthless metal, which two of our leading lights of the Senate propose will somehow save "billions" for the taxpayers...

...without explaining exactly how that might be possible given the higher historical production, storage, and transportation costs of metal coins vs. paper money, not to mention the business costs of converting countless millions of mechanical devices to accept them. 

What the hell. It's not as though there's any more pressing business facing Congress at the moment.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »
Oh, sure. Let's replace worthless paper with worthless metal, which two of our leading lights of the Senate propose will somehow save "billions" for the taxpayers...

...without explaining exactly how that might be possible given the higher historical production, storage, and transportation costs of metal coins vs. paper money, not to mention the business costs of converting countless millions of mechanical devices to accept them. 

What the hell. It's not as though there's any more pressing business facing Congress at the moment.

Now now Andy! You aren't supposed to inject PRACTICAL considerations into this you know!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 07:08:36 pm »
Now now Andy! You aren't supposed to inject PRACTICAL considerations into this you know!

I know. It's one of those bad habits that comes from actually having worked in the freakin' private sector all my life instead of suckling at the Federal teat!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:17:28 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 07:14:08 pm »

I know. It's one of those bad habits that comes from actually having working in the freakin' private sector all my life insttead of suckling at the Federal teat!!!

:beer: :patriot:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:08:31 pm »
not to mention the business costs of converting countless millions of mechanical devices to accept them. 
Not to be a buzzkill here, but most mechanical devices have accepted dollar coins since the Susan B. was introduced back in '79. Honestly, I don't care at this point. Our neighbors in Canada switched over to the loonie 25 years ago and are doing just fine. If they want to end the $1 (which is something that McCain has been trying to do for eons), I really don't care either way. Heck, they can get rid of the penny while they're at it, too.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:17:41 pm »
We haven't had the pound note since the very early 80's.

Don't miss it. The strippers are happy with the fivers instead, and they are the only ones who were affected.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink