Author Topic: Trump Voters Are Hillary’s New Best Friends  (Read 529 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Trump Voters Are Hillary’s New Best Friends
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:31:42 am »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/trump-voters-are-hillary-clintons-new-best-friends-120466.html

A memo to Trump’s super fans from the GOP establishment.

Greetings, Donald Trump super fans. I am a member of the GOP establishment. I’m writing to tell you that, no matter how much you wish it otherwise, the Donald Trump candidacy is almost over.

Don’t be fooled by Trump’s double-digit lead in a new poll: He is not going to win. He’s not going to win the primary. He’s not going to win the general. He’s not going to win a third-party bid. Sure, he can damage the GOP ticket badly enough to guarantee Hillary’s election, but he can’t win. He’s too flawed, too liberal, too undisciplined and too afflicted with verbal dysentery when even slightly provoked. He lacks the fundamental presence and gravitas of a commander-in-chief.

Donald Trump is not running a real campaign. He is working the phones, stirring the pot and using the media ecosystem to its fullest. Soon, the bolder members of the field will follow Rick Perry, Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush in making harder and more decisive strokes against him. Unlike Trump, they’ll use real oppo, tested and targeted messages—ads built not just to cut, but to kill. They’ll break his operational tempo, get inside his OODA loop and turn his circus into a crispy ruin. It’s what real campaigns do.

Trump will lose, and Trump supporters will wake up with a combination I call “herpes and a hangover.” They may have had fun the night before, but they’ll regret the hangover for a day. However, if Trump’s games in this campaign lead to the election of Hillary Clinton, they’ll regret the herpes a lot longer.

I know that Trump fans reserve special scorn and disdain for people in my line of work—card-carrying members of the Republican establishment, that dreaded political consultant class that is so clearly to blame for Barack Obama’s presidency and all that is wrong with the Grand Old Party. It would be just so much easier to have The Donald as president without this messy election business. But Trump supporters need to wake up before they help elect another Clinton.

So excuse me if I speak out of turn. Here, Trump enthusiasts, is what I’m hearing you say, and why you’re Hillary Clinton’s new best friends:

1. You’re angry as Hell, and by God, you’re going to teach the GOP a lesson. Even if it means (and it well may) that Hillary Clinton sits in the White House, names 3 or 4 Supreme Court justices and lets Bill run around the East Wing molesting the help, you’re going to teach the hated Establishment a lesson by becoming Trump Super Fans, even if he runs as a third party candidate and guarantees Her victory.

2. You’ve decided to become one-issue voters, and immigration is the be-all, end-all issue. Here, I’ll surprise you. I’m against comprehensive immigration reform, and always have been. It’s a sham, and with Obama, Reid and Schumer in the mix, it’s an egregious sham. You’re filled with incandescent rage because “we” aren’t talking about the one thing you care about. But not a single GOP candidate is a full-blown “fling wide the gates” immigration cheerleader. No, not Marco, nor Jeb. Not one. The broad (and correct) consensus is that no immigration reform bill will ever move before border security is ensured. But Donald Trump is feeding you like a seal trainer throwing herring into the sea life, amused by your reflexive barking and the flapping of your flippers.

3. You think we’re dismissing the message, but we’re dismissing the messenger. Yes, opinions in Washington vary widely over immigration. Yes, they aren’t what most of you seem to want: a mile-high wall made of solid steel with auto-firing laser turrets every six feet and mass deportation roundups of 13 million people. Yes, the presence of illegal alien criminals is an outrage. The presence of sanctuary cities is a legal travesty. Donald Trump is not the man to fix these problems. If you think he’s a man of his word, look at the creditors in his multiple “strategic” bankruptcy filings, or the victims of his bogus “Trump U” scam and tell me you think he’ll really deliver on his ludicrous promises.

4. You don’t care about his record. It’s an ideological train-wreck of epic proportions if you care about any conservative values. He’s been pro-abortion, pro-gun control, pro-tax hikes, pro-single-payer and is a past master of crony capitalism, to say nothing of his political and financial support for the Clintons and Barack Obama. It’s a mess. You’d never give any other candidate the benefit of the doubt on such a wide portfolio of positions that have changed 180 degrees and back again so many times. And yet, I imagine you can drill into Marco Rubio’s or Jeb Bush’s or even Scott Walker’s record for some sign of apostasy that you can never, ever, ever forgive.

Rick Wilson is a national Republican message and media strategist.

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Trump Voters Are Hillary’s New Best Friends
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 11:32:20 am »
I totally agree.  Trump will not win the nomination. Question is, how much damage will he cause before he drops out or switches to a third party?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn