Author Topic: Trump in 2012 attacked Romney for being too tough on illegals  (Read 745 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/07/trump_in_2012_attacked_romney_for_being_too_tough_on_illegals.html

Only yesterday I approvingly quoted some of the things Donald Trump was saying about illegal aliens, but I added this cautionary note (sorry to quote myself!):

By the way, while I applaud much of what Trump is saying, I still consider him a total fraud. "Mr. Conservative" was quite happy to profess his love for Democrats for most of his life, and somehow I can't find much in the way of conservative statements from him before 2015. It's like one of those false cover identities that spies use that you trace back and find simply didn't exist before a certain period of time.

And now, sure enough, Trump's own words incriminate him as being in the amnesty camp as recently as 2012:

The Republican Party will continue to lose presidential elections if it comes across as mean-spirited and unwelcoming toward people of color, Donald Trump tells Newsmax. Romney’s solution of “self deportation” for illegal aliens made no sense and suggested that Republicans do not care about Hispanics in general, Trump says. “He had a crazy policy of self deportation which was maniacal,” Trump says.
If Trump feels that self-deportation, which is merely making America unattractive to illegals by denying them jobs and welfare, is "maniacal," then he was obviously against deportation as well, or any kind of move to secure the border.

“It sounded as bad as it was, and he lost all of the Latino vote,” Trump notes. “He lost the Asian vote. He lost everybody who is inspired to come into this country.” The GOP has to develop a comprehensive policy “to take care of this incredible problem that we have with respect to immigration, with respect to people wanting to be wonderful productive citizens of this country,” Trump says.

A "comprehensive policy" for "wonderful productive citizen" wannabes.  Trump sounded exactly like Jeb Bush, didn't he?  Now, I expect Trump supporters in the comments section to say, "But that was 2012!  He evolved and changed his mind!"  Sure.  He changed his mind right before he announced for president.

The only difference between Trump and most of the other Republican candidates is that he is willing to give lively speeches about being against amnesty and securing the border, whereas we can't get even that kind of rhetoric from most of the other candidates (except perhaps from Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, and the post-2014 version of Scott Walker).  I still think it's good he is saying what he is saying.  It  moves the debate and pushes the other candidates.

But I also am quite confident, based on his history, that he doesn't believe a word he is saying.  The true irony is that he has very little chance to be nominated, and his outspokenness is harming his business relationships...for a cause he doesn't even believe in.