Author Topic: Graham: Donald Trump is Going to 'Kill My Party'  (Read 10801 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Graham: Donald Trump is Going to 'Kill My Party'
« on: July 11, 2015, 01:58:30 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=654445

Newsmax
Friday, July 10, 2015 02:31 PM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Donald Trump should use his "economic genius and his talents" in a more constructive way, as his statements on immigrants are going to "kill my party," Sen. Lindsey Graham said Friday.

"I think he said something that has brought people who are frustrated about our immigration system to light, but he also said it in a way that's going to kill my party," the South Carolina Republican said on CNN's "At This Hour With Berman and Bolduan" on Friday.

Graham said Trump's comments about Mexico sending rapists and drug dealers into the United States reinforces a "narrative within the Republican Party and the Hispanic community that is going to destroy our ability to win a presidential election, and the party needs to be clear about how we handle this."

"I think he should do better, because I think he’s a better man than that," Graham said, noting that the businessman is involved in a lot of charitable work.

Several other candidates have also bashed Trump for his comments, Politico reported, including former New York Gov. George Pataki, who on Monday challenged the real estate mogul to debate "mano a mano, anytime, on the issue of immigration and pit your ideas against my solutions."

Ex-Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, meanwhile, called Trump a "tireless self-promoter" and a "heat-seeking missile for publicity."

Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry was even more direct, after Trump tweeted that he "needs a new pair of glasses committed by illegal immigrants."

"Hey Donald, I saw your tweet the other day," Perry said in a three-minute response video. "But I think you might need to borrow my glasses to take a good look at the steps I took to secure the border while I was governor of Texas."

He continued with a dig at Trump's reality TV roots from "The Apprentice," saying that the former NBC star's remarks "might make for good reality TV, but they’re way out of touch with reality."

Part of their issue is that with Trump's popularity surging, people like Graham, Fiorina, and Perry won't show up on the stage for the first GOP debate on Aug. 6 in Cleveland, where only the top 10 candidates will be participating.

However, Trump and another non-political candidate, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, would be able to take the stage, a fact that has angered Graham enough to call the top 10 format a "dumb way" to thin out the burgeoning Republican presidential field.

Graham's popularity is only in the single low digits, with a Real Clear Politics polling average of just 1.3 percent, according to Politico. Trump is averaging overall at 6.5 percent, but recent polls from CNN/ORC put him at 12 percent and Fox News at 11 percent.

On Friday, Graham said if he were a celebrity with "a show on CNN or FOX or NBC," he'd be doing better in the polls, and "Brad Pitt would have a better chance of getting in the debate at this point."

"I don't mind weeding out the field over time, but a national poll tests celebrity, big states have an advantage vs. small states," Graham said. "People who have run before have an advantage over those who haven't."

With it only being July, he continued, "a national poll is a lousy way, in my view, to determine who should be on the stage, and I quite frankly resent it."

He said he blames Fox News and the Republican National Committee for the format, and said that he would find any way to put all those who have viable campaigns to be on the stage and to start weeding them out after a couple of debates.

"It's not about me," Graham said. "It's about destroying the early primary process of Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina. At the end of the day, you're rewarding money and celebrity over the hard work in the early states."

An earlier, non-primetime event will be held for lower-tier candidates, but Graham said he doesn't know if he'll take part in that.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Graham: Donald Trump is Going to 'Kill My Party'
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:02:42 pm »

No sir! That would be you and your buds Juan McCain, Mitch McConnell, Jeff Flake and Oren Hatch!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 02:25:51 pm »
No sir! That would be you and your buds Juan McCain, Mitch McConnell, Jeff Flake and Oren Hatch!

Ya beat me to the punch, Bigun.

6 1/2 years of Obama has shown the GOP leadership to be feckless. Rank-and-file Republicans are hungering for real leaders.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 04:18:19 pm »
Ya beat me to the punch, Bigun.

6 1/2 years of Obama has shown the GOP leadership to be feckless. Rank-and-file Republicans are hungering for real leaders.

Then why do so many on here are loathe by Trump and Cruz but luv Bushie, Kream, Rubio and every other non conservative and RINO??? hard to figure out? :patriot:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 05:34:47 pm »
Well, Lindsey....some things need killin'!    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 05:42:58 pm »
Mercy killings are becoming more popular...
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 05:56:40 pm »
Well, Lindsey....some things need killin'!

:howlin: :howlin:

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 07:50:42 pm »
Then why do so many on here are loathe by Trump and Cruz but luv Bushie, Kream, Rubio and every other non conservative and RINO??? hard to figure out? :patriot:

Marco Rubio is a non-conservative and RINO?

http://postonpolitics.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/05/12/american-conservative-union-ratings-ted-cruz-edges-marco-rubio-rand-paul/

Perhaps the issue is your definition of "conservative" and "RINO" - and not Rubio's track record.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 02:21:18 am »
[[ Graham: Donald Trump is Going to 'Kill My Party' ]]

Yeah, Lindsey. He's walkin' along right behind YOU.

And I must say, insofar as "killing the party" goes, you're leavin' pretty big footsteps to fill!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 04:31:54 am »

http://postonpolitics.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/05/12/american-conservative-union-ratings-ted-cruz-edges-marco-rubio-rand-paul/

Perhaps the issue is your definition of "conservative" and "RINO" - and not Rubio's track record.

Once someone gets an idea as true in their head it is very hard to prove it false.  So despite the fact that border patriots like Keyes, Tancredo, and Simcox failed to gain traction...some people still think illegal immigration is a winning issue to run on and they think Rubio is tainted because of his 2013 support for immigration reform.

Half of Trump's support is name recognition only(they don't know or care about the issues...Trump is a celebrity), and the other half comes from disaffected anti-establishment voters who have already left the GOP.  They wouldn't vote for anyone but Trump (some possibly Cruz) as the rest of the GOP is just as evil to them as the rats

In fact some "true conservatives" have shrunken Reagan's Big Tent to 5 or 6 acceptable Senators and a couple dozen Representatives in Congress...yet these people THINK they speak for a majority of voters.

It's baffling to most people.

In the end Trumps "celebrity" support will vanish as people see the ads showing this and many future blunders.  The "true conservatives" will abandon him when he walks back some of the poorly thought out rhetoric coming out his pie hole.  When the "true conservatives" leave the show they will become just as irrelevant as they were a month ago. 

But Trump will poison Walker, Rubio, Cruz, Carson, and Bush along his path

The fascinating thing is that Trump is sucking up all the anti-establishment oxygen and screwing up legitimate anti-establishment choices like Cruz, Paul, and perhaps Walker ( maybe Carson...I'm joking about Carson) who might have a shot this year.

I am just as optimistic that the next president will be a Republican...it's just slightly under 100% certitude.  Watching conservatives split their support...once again...leads me to think Jeb will win the nomination.
:eatdrink:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 05:46:58 am »
In a one on one, Real Clear Politics currently has Trump polling behind Clinton by 17 to 24 points.

Narrow, deep and loud.  Just the thing to claim the headlines for awhile and get some people excited.

Like Perot and Buchanan for instance.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/2016_presidential_race.html
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline raml

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 06:02:30 am »
Watch the democrats win if Jeb is the nominee to many of us are sick of democrats running on the republican ticket and will do a write in and some won't vote at all why when there is no difference between the candidates. Jeb can't win period.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 06:24:33 am »
Watch the democrats win if Jeb is the nominee to many of us are sick of democrats running on the republican ticket and will do a write in and some won't vote at all why when there is no difference between the candidates. Jeb can't win period.

IMO Jeb is probably more likely to win than any other candidate and he would beat Hitlery easily.  I think few people will walk because he is a Bush, and many of those who do likely didn't vote for Romney over Obama either.  They won't vote for Hitlery and realistically their votes matter only half as much as voters we can take from the rats and add to our total. 

However in this current climate I think a less likely but better candidate like Rubio, Walker, Perry, or a half dozen others can also win.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »
The fascinating thing is that Trump is sucking up all the anti-establishment oxygen and screwing up legitimate anti-establishment choices like Cruz, Paul, and perhaps Walker ( maybe Carson...I'm joking about Carson) who might have a shot this year.
I agree. Trump has seized upon a single issue and is scratching a lot of folks' itch on that issue. These folks most likely have no idea - assuming they care - where he stands on any other issue or whether he actually has formulated positions on those issues. While I agree with what he's saying on illegal immigration, I would prefer a more reasoned, temperate and well-rounded approach to that and other issues. That's why, at least right now, I could support Cruz or Walker. I see them as having substance and not mostly bluster and showmanship.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:53:22 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 01:01:27 pm »
I agree. Trump has seized upon a single issue and is scratching a lot of folks' itch on that issue. These folks most likely have no idea - assuming they care - where he stands on any other issue or whether he actually has formulated positions on those issues. While I agree with what he's saying on illegal immigration, I would prefer a more reasoned, temperate and well-rounded approach to that and other issues. That's why, at least right now, I could support Cruz or Walker. I see them as having substance and not mostly bluster and showmanship.

Hmmm....not so sure any other Republican candidate could speak about turning this economy around as well as Donald Trump will be able to do.

So it's only a "single issue" at the moment.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 01:12:50 pm »
Hmmm....not so sure any other Republican candidate could speak about turning this economy around as well as Donald Trump will be able to do.

So it's only a "single issue" at the moment.
Perhaps. If Trump says more than "I know all about the economy, look how rich I am"!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 02:49:40 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/247625-graham-trump-is-a-wrecking-ball-for-the-gop

July 12, 2015, 09:43 am
Graham: Trump is 'a wrecking ball' for the GOP

By Mike Lillis

Donald Trump is "a wrecking ball" that's threatening to dismantle the Republican Party, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Sunday.

Graham, a GOP presidential contender, said Trump's recent condemnation of most immigrants as criminals –– and the embrace of that message by many conservatives –– represents "a defining moment" for the party that Republicans should soundly reject.

"I'm very worried where we're headed as a party. I don't think this is the way to get the Latino vote," he said on CNN's "State of the Union" program.

"If we don't reject this way of thinking –– clearly, without any ambiguity –– we'll have lost our way, [and] we'll have lost the moral authority, in my view, to govern this great nation."

Trump churned countless headlines recently when he characterized most immigrants crossing the southern border as criminals and rapists. He then doubled down on those comments in the wake of this month's killing of a young woman in San Francisco, allegedly by an illegal immigrant felon.

"This is merely one of thousands of similar incidents throughout the United States," Trump said. "[T]remendous infectious disease is pouring across the border."

The remarks have stirred concerns among national Republican leaders, who are trying to woo Latino voters who could prove crucial in a number of battleground states in 2016. Reince Priebus, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, has privately urged Trump to tone down the rhetoric.

Graham said the comments "are not only offensive at every level, [but] you're telling the Hispanic community who are friends, neighbors and relatives of the illegal immigrant population exactly what we think of you."

"I'm not going to be part of that," he said.

Graham has been on the front lines of the immigration reform debate for years, joining the bipartisan coalition that spearheaded a sweeping reform bill in the last Congress. That proposal was approved by the Senate, but House GOP leaders rejected it, and it was never considered in the lower chamber.

Graham on Sunday acknowledged the problems at the southern border, vowing to double the number of border patrol agents, triple the number of drones and tackle the problem of visa overstays.

But he also warned that the Republicans who embrace Trump's message are digging their own political graves.

"For us to win a national election we have to do better with Hispanics. And for us to have the moral authority as a party to govern a great nation we have to reject this demagoguery. If we don't we will lose, and we will deserve to lose," he said.

"This is a defining moment for the Republican Party."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 03:18:58 pm »
Perhaps. If Trump says more than "I know all about the economy, look how rich I am"!

Wait, having a lot of money doesn't make you a master of economic understanding? Next you'll tell me owning a lot of cars doesn't make me a world class mechanic.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Longiron

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 03:23:02 pm »

Las Vegas This past weekend. Enough said about RUBIO. Did typical RINO run and hide move!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 03:51:36 pm »
"It's not about me," Graham said. "It's about destroying the early primary process of Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina. At the end of the day, you're rewarding money and celebrity over the hard work in the early states."

Lindsey is projecting here.  He tells on himself while accusing Trump of doing the very same thing he is doing.  The ONLY reason Graham is in the race is to muck up the South Carolina primary!  He will drop out of the race after that. 

The whole election has already turned into a $hitty mess and I'm becoming convinced that it's all a big freak show - enjoy the show, because I'm becoming more and more sure that there isn't going to BE another election!  At the rate Obama and Valerie are moving on things - we're going to have a horrible event that will result in martial law and a "postponing" of the election.  The plan is already nearing completion.  Call me crazy if you wish.

Trump is sucking the oxygen out of the room for all the other candidates - I suspect he will drop out after his work is done.  He is right on the illegal immigration issue, just as he was right on the birth certificate issue - but I don't trust him and I think he is really in it to destroy the other legitimate candidates.  I like what he says, but I have trouble believing he is in it to the end. 

What he is doing is making the other candidates scramble and crawl across the ground to try to "make up" to the Hispanic vote in a way that makes them look like followers instead of leaders. 

Hillary beats everyone in polls?  I spit on polls!  I refuse to let them choose who I will support as they can be manipulated so easily and we know it.  Hillary is the most unlikeable, most fingernail-on-chalkboard speaker and ugliest candidate one can imagine.  She leads in anything only because the media wants her to.  It doesn't matter, I don't think she will win either - because I'm becoming convinced we won't have another election.  I think things are about to get really bad - really soon.  We are going into the last chapter of the book of America.

8888crybaby

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 03:54:08 pm »
Wait, having a lot of money doesn't make you a master of economic understanding? Next you'll tell me owning a lot of cars doesn't make me a world class mechanic.

Trump started out rich, then became richer.

Becoming richer from the starting point of already being rich is far easier than starting out not rich and becoming rich.

The point being that while Trump is a master of self marketing and patting himself on the back, his father bequeathed him one Hell of a budding empire.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:54:27 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 03:58:54 pm »
Las Vegas This past weekend. Enough said about RUBIO. Did typical RINO run and hide move!

List the Presidential candidates, from either Party, that have statements on record on what to do about the 11 million plus illegal immigrants in the nation right now.

I don't want to talk about building fences, mine fields, drones or anything else about stopping more from coming in, I want to know who has a plan, on record, about what to do about the ones already here.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 04:02:37 pm »
What he is doing is making the other candidates scramble and crawl across the ground to try to "make up" to the Hispanic vote in a way that makes them look like followers instead of leaders. 

Say what you will about Trump--but he's not "making" any Republican candidate crawl to "make up" to the Hispanic vote.   It's what they've always done and will continue to do--with or without Trump's input.

Trump has exposed a raw nerve.  A strategic candidate would run toward this anger with solutions--not away from it.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 04:23:36 pm »
Once someone gets an idea as true in their head it is very hard to prove it false.  So despite the fact that border patriots like Keyes, Tancredo, and Simcox failed to gain traction...some people still think illegal immigration is a winning issue to run on and they think Rubio is tainted because of his 2013 support for immigration reform.

Half of Trump's support is name recognition only(they don't know or care about the issues...Trump is a celebrity), and the other half comes from disaffected anti-establishment voters who have already left the GOP.  They wouldn't vote for anyone but Trump (some possibly Cruz) as the rest of the GOP is just as evil to them as the rats

In fact some "true conservatives" have shrunken Reagan's Big Tent to 5 or 6 acceptable Senators and a couple dozen Representatives in Congress...yet these people THINK they speak for a majority of voters.

It's baffling to most people.

In the end Trumps "celebrity" support will vanish as people see the ads showing this and many future blunders.  The "true conservatives" will abandon him when he walks back some of the poorly thought out rhetoric coming out his pie hole.  When the "true conservatives" leave the show they will become just as irrelevant as they were a month ago. 

But Trump will poison Walker, Rubio, Cruz, Carson, and Bush along his path

I am just as optimistic that the next president will be a Republican...it's just slightly under 100% certitude.  Watching conservatives split their support...once again...leads me to think Jeb will win the nomination.
:eatdrink:

The people you're talking about are not Republican, in name or otherwise.

They're basically either Democrats posing as Republicans in right-wing forums, here to spread discord, anarchists, or Birchers.

Whatever it is that they are, they're as much an enemy to Reagan's Big Tent GOP as the Democrats are. In fact, they're basically allies of the Democrats by virtue of a common enemy.

I spent way too many years in FR reading posts about how the "solution" to the problems of the US was to bring the GOP down and allow the Democrats to win election after election so that the nation would crumble and bring about some sort of right-wing Renaissance, not to understand what their goal is.

Those people are here, talking crap about how there isn't a bit of difference between Jeb and other GOP mainstream candidates and Hillary.

Total and absolute BS, but they're here spreading their memes for the sans culotte to buy into like bread on a hook for lake tarp.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 04:28:11 pm »
Say what you will about Trump--but he's not "making" any Republican candidate crawl to "make up" to the Hispanic vote.   It's what they've always done and will continue to do--with or without Trump's input.

Trump has exposed a raw nerve.  A strategic candidate would run toward this anger with solutions--not away from it.

That's exactly what I was trying to say - I guess I wasn't very clear about it.  I agree - Trump has exposed a giant weakness in the GOP - and the GOP has no one to blame but themselves.  Obviously, Trump is hitting a nerve with the people - and it is an opportunity for the other candidates to come out and LEAD on this issue, or crawl around on the ground like a bunch of grovelers. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!