Author Topic: NBC cuts ties with Trump  (Read 370 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
NBC cuts ties with Trump
« on: June 29, 2015, 09:34:55 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/246453-nbc-cuts-ties-with-trump

June 29, 2015, 02:16 pm
NBC cuts ties with Trump

By Jesse Byrnes

NBC is cutting its ties with Donald Trump over the 2016 Republican presidential candidate's recent remarks about immigrants.

"Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump," the network said in a statement Monday.

NBC also said it would no longer air the "Miss USA" and "Miss Universe" pageants on its network, which are produced with Trump.

NBC made the announcement while Trump spoke during a packed campaign event in Chicago.

After the speech, Trump told reporters that he had a "great" relationship with NBC over the years and that his statements on immigration "happen to be correct."

"I think as far as ending the relationship, I have to do that, because my view on immigration is much different from the people at NBC," he said. "You cannot have ... illegal immigration. You don't have a country if you have that."

"So I told NBC, I can't change my stance," Trump said.

The reality TV star acknowledged that it is difficult as a businessman to run for political office "because you are going to upset people."

Republicans have worried that Trump's presidential bid will become a bit of a sideshow, in an expansive GOP field with the most depth in recent memory.

NBC had faced pressure to formally cut ties with Trump amid the controversy over comments he made at his presidential launch event earlier this month.

“They’re sending people who have a lot of problems,” Trump said of illegal immigration. "They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

The remarks prompted Cristian de la Fuenta, the Chilean actor scheduled to host this year's Miss USA pageant, to quit. He described Trump as "a clown."

NBC initially distanced itself from the real estate mogul, a longtime business partner, saying his comments "do not represent those of NBC."

That came after reports that Univision, the country's largest Spanish-language network, would not air the beauty pageants produced by Trump.

But NBC continued to face pressure over its relationship with Trump, and a petition on the Change.org website asking the network to drop him over his remarks garnered more than 200,000 signatures as of Monday.

Trump has said he would not star in a new season of NBC's "The Apprentice," telling CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday that he was giving up the spot to run for president.

This story was updated at 3:17 p.m.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: NBC cuts ties with Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:36:03 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/246471-trump-nbc-stands-behind-brian-williams-not-people-who

June 29, 2015, 04:00 pm
Trump: NBC 'stands behind Brian Williams,' not people who tell it 'like it is'

By Jesse Byrnes

Donald Trump blasted NBC on Monday afternoon after the media company announced it had cut ties with the GOP presidential candidate over remarks he made about immigrants from Mexico.

“If NBC is so weak and so foolish to not understand the serious illegal immigration problem in the United States, coupled with the horrendous and unfair trade deals we are making with Mexico, then their contract violating closure of Miss Universe/Miss USA will be determined in court,” Trump said in a statement.

“Furthermore, they will stand behind lying Brian Williams, but won’t stand behind people that tell it like it is, as unpleasant as that may be,” he added.

NBC recently announced that Williams would move from “NBC Nightly News” to a new position at MSNBC after his suspension.

Trump issued the statement shortly after NBC announced it would be cutting ties with the businessman and no longer air the “Miss USA” and “Miss Universe” pageants, which it produces with Trump.

NBC noted Trump would not continue on "The Apprentice." The 2016 Republican presidential candidate has said he told the network he would no longer be the face of the program amid his nascent White House bid.

Trump said during his presidential kick-off that immigrants coming to the United States include criminals and “rapists.” NBC initially distanced itself from Trump but faced pressure to cut ties.

“Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump,” the network said in a statement earlier Monday.

Trump doubled down on his immigration remarks Monday, but offered a tempered response to the news of NBC cutting its business ties. He told reporters after a campaign event in Chicago he had a “great” relationship with NBC.

“I think as far as ending the relationship, I have to do that, because my view on immigration is much different from the people at NBC,” he said. “You cannot have ... illegal immigration. You don't have a country if you have that.”

“So I told NBC, I can't change my stance,” Trump said.

He echoed those remarks in his statement, calling for “strong borders.”

“As has been stated continuously in the press, people are pouring across our borders unabated. Public reports routinely state great amounts of crime are being committed by illegal immigrants. This must be stopped and it must be stopped now."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:42:31 pm »
I'm surprised it took them this long. NBC should have dumped him the moment he announced his candidacy.

I wonder if this means Trump is all in now. Before, he had the NBC fallback. Now he doesn't.

This could get awkward.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline evadR

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:30:12 pm »
notice how NBC, Never Be Candid, uses the term immigrants and Donald actually used the term illegal immigrants.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:18 pm »
NBC has been 'dead' to me for years.  I wouldn't watch them if they were the last network on earth.

Donald Trump should move the pageants to Netflix.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 01:22:43 am »
NBC has been 'dead' to me for years.  I wouldn't watch them if they were the last network on earth.

Donald Trump should move the pageants to Netflix.
Likewise. I'm trying to think if there is anything they do that I watch and the best I can come up with is an occasional golf tournament.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:38:24 am »
Likewise. I'm trying to think if there is anything they do that I watch and the best I can come up with is an occasional golf tournament.
I do watch the occasional football and hockey game. On mute.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024