Author Topic: Dems move to ban plastic guns  (Read 880 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems move to ban plastic guns
« on: June 08, 2015, 09:54:14 pm »
http://thehill.com/regulation/legislation/244319-dems-move-to-ban-plastic-guns

By Tim Devaney - 06/08/15 03:52 PM EDT

Congressional Democrats are proposing to ban plastic guns, following reports of major security lapses at the nation’s airports

Plastic guns can be even more dangerous than traditional firearms because they're harder to detect, says Rep. Steve Israel (D-N.Y.).

The Undetectable Firearms Modernization Act, backed by Israel and several other Democrats, would prohibit the manufacture of entirely plastic guns. The legislation would require a major component of every gun to contain enough traces of metal to be detected.

Israel plans to unveil the legislation Tuesday during a press conference at LaGuardia Airport in New York City, where he will draw a connection between his bill and recent high-profile airport security lapses.

"If detectable weapons can make it through security checkpoints, how can we expect to catch wrongdoers carrying undetectable plastic firearms?" Israel told The Hill. "It’s time to modernize our airport security so the American people can count on it.”

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) failed a recent sting operation in which undercover agents sneaked fake explosives and weapons through airport security in 67 out of 70 tests, or about 95 percent of the time.

Many of America’s busiest airports failed the tests.

In one test, a federal agent was able to sneak a fake bomb that was strapped to his back through security, even after he was subjected to a pat-down.

The massive security failure led to the ouster last week of TSA acting administrator Melvin Carraway.

In light of the TSA security lapses, Israel and other Democrats say it is even more important to ban plastic guns.

“Handing criminals and terrorists a 95 percent chance of carrying dangerous weapons through airport security without being noticed is unacceptable," Israel said.

Plastic guns have been made popular by 3D printers that make it easier for consumers to build their own firearms.

While the legislation would still allow manufacturers to build partially plastic guns, it would close a loophole that allows people to build guns that can evade security.

Current law prohibits plastic guns, but gun owners can get around the requirements by including a detachable strip of metal on an otherwise plastic gun.

Criminals can then remove that piece of metal when they go through security.

To combat this problem, Israel’s legislation would mandate that a major component of each gun be made of metal and that the weapon would be inoperable without that component.

The legislation was previously introduced in 2013. Last time around, it was supported by Reps. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.), Elizabeth Esty (D-Conn.), Jim Himes (D-Conn.), Mike Honda (D-Calif.), Jim Langevin (D-R.I.) and Pete King (R-N.Y.).

Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) are also working on similar legislation to prohibit plastic guns, which could be introduced in the coming months.

While Republicans support the existing ban on plastic guns, most are opposed to expanding the law in the way that Israel is proposing.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Dems move to ban plastic guns
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:27:05 pm »
"Plastic guns have been made popular by 3D printers"    ???  :thud:

Made popular?   I spend a lot of time at  gun ranges, and I have never, never, ever seen a gun made from a 3D Printer, and I have seen a lot of very rare and strange guns show up.  So how are these so popular?     And if one of these plastic guns did show up, (if the owner survived the gauntlet of laughing owners of real guns),  not one shooter would want to be within 3 or 4 lanes of it being fired.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:55:03 pm »
Hang on to your squirt guns, folks! They're about to be confiscated!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:59:02 pm »
Hang on to your squirt guns, folks! They're about to be confiscated!

No they're not.  Boehner won't even bring this up.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:03:58 pm »
While the legislation would still allow manufacturers to build partially plastic guns, it would close a loophole that allows people to build guns that can evade security.

Yeah, 'cause we know that people who are trying to evade security will be stopped because they must follow the law...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 07:28:40 pm »
The 1993 film "In the Line of Fire" with Clint Eastwood and John Malkovich, featured a plastic handgun.

The bad guy carried it into a venue in pieces, assembled it and fired it. Time stands still.

Have people been sleeping in the last 22 years? Why the concern now?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 07:56:10 pm »
The 1993 film "In the Line of Fire" with Clint Eastwood and John Malkovich, featured a plastic handgun.

The bad guy carried it into a venue in pieces, assembled it and fired it. Time stands still.

Have people been sleeping in the last 22 years? Why the concern now?

If I recall correctly, that gun worked reliably because it depended on metal screws and springs for hammer tension and a steel firing pin. An all-plastic gun is an accident waiting to happen - even if you can ignite the primer in a .22 rimfire, I would think the cumulative effects of gas expansion and corrosive residue would render it worthless - and dangerous - in short order.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 08:02:47 pm »
No they're not.  Boehner won't even bring this up.

It was a joke, sink.

(Guess I should have included a goofy face with my post.  :dx1: )
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 08:40:23 pm »
Without ammunition (seen on x-ray ), a plastic gun is just - well inert plastic.  Even if a bad guy was going to go through the trouble of making a all plastic gun, that doesn't answer the question how he's going to sneak  ammunition through.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn