Author Topic: Obama bans some transfers of military hardware to police  (Read 702 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Obama bans some transfers of military hardware to police
« on: May 18, 2015, 07:47:35 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/242346-obama-limiting-military-hardware-to-police-departments

The White House on Monday announced new limits on federal programs that supply local police with military-style equipment. After four months of study, a Cabinet working group tasked by President Obama to reform the initiatives unveiled eight categories of military supplies local law enforcement will be banned from acquiring from federal agencies or with federal funds. The list includes grenade launchers, tracked armored vehicles, armed aircraft, bayonets, and guns and ammunition of .50 caliber or higher. There is a “substantial risk of misusing or overusing these items,” which “could significantly undermine community trust,” the group’s report reads.

Other federally supplied equipment, such as wheeled armored vehicles, drones, helicopters, firearms and riot gear, will come with new strings attached for local police to ensure officers are trained in their use and in “community policing, constitutional policing and community input.” Police must provide a “clear and persuasive explanation” for the need of the equipment and get approval from their local government. The steps are part of the White House’s effort to reestablish trust between law enforcement and their communities in response to a string of police-related deaths of black men in Baltimore, Ferguson, Mo. and North Charleston, S.C., among other cities. The issue of police militarization entered the national spotlight last summer as officers and demonstrators angered by the death of Michael Brown, 18, violently clashed in the streets of Ferguson. The public was shocked by images of heavily armed police in military armored vehicles who were sent to quell the protests. A bipartisan group of lawmakers and civil-rights groups pushed to end initiatives, such as the Pentagon’s 1033 program, that allow surplus military equipment to be transferred to local police.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Rivergirl

Re: Obama bans some transfers of military hardware to police
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:08:00 pm »
Wouldn't want the police to be able to protect themselves from looters, rioters, shooters.  Don't be wearing a helmet either.  Just inflames the rabid dogs.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:30:40 pm »
Wouldn't want the police to be able to protect themselves from looters, rioters, shooters.  Don't be wearing a helmet either.  Just inflames the rabid dogs.

Do you think the police need tanks, rocket launchers and hand grenades to protect themselves?
-Socrates

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:31:51 pm »
The 1997 North Hollywood shootout is the first thing that comes to mind.  400 Cops - VS - Two heavily-armed and armored bank robbers .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsOWSDtxERU
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Dexter

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:46:41 pm »
The 1997 North Hollywood shootout is the first thing that comes to mind.  400 Cops - VS - Two heavily-armed and armored bank robbers .

Okay, you've given one example of police being outgunned nearly 20 years ago. Do you think tanks, rocket launchers and hand grenades would have been needed to deescalate that situation, or would that have possibly been overkill? Police these days have body armor and rifles if need be.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:47:12 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:08:51 pm »
He needs the hardware for his national police force.  :smokin:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 10:56:31 pm »
He needs the hardware for his national police force.  :smokin:

Yup.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 02:38:26 am »
Hold onto your hats, folks, I actually agree with the administration on this one!

The police are well-armed enough without tanks and grenade launchers...