Author Topic: Syria conflict: IS 'withdraws' from ancient Palmyra  (Read 399 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Syria conflict: IS 'withdraws' from ancient Palmyra
« on: May 17, 2015, 07:07:20 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32772894

Islamic State militants have been pushed back from the ancient Syrian site of Palmyra, officials and a monitoring group say. Militants seized part of the town of Tadmur on Saturday, which is located on a strategic east-west route next to Palmyra's World Heritage-listed ruins. Nearly 300 have reportedly died in four days of fighting.

Meanwhile, the number of militants reported killed in a rare US ground raid in Syria on Saturday rose to 32. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based monitoring group, said that among those killed were "IS oil chief Abu Sayyaf, the deputy IS defence minister, and an IS communications official". US officials had said about 12 militants were killed at the scene of the raid in the eastern province of Deir al-Zour. They said Abu Sayyaf had been killed in a firefight during the special forces raid, and his wife was captured.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Paladin

Re: Syria conflict: IS 'withdraws' from ancient Palmyra
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:47:34 pm »
Islamic State militants have been pushed back from the ancient Syrian site of Palmyra

Which is a very good thing since there were serious concerns these Muslim barbarians would do to Palmyra what they did in Nimrud and Mosul.

Palmyra, also known as the "bride of the desert," is an exquisite collection of ruins in the desert northeast of Damascus.

Situated in an oasis, Palmyra was once a monumental city sitting on an important trade route linking Persia, India and China with the Roman Empire.

Its history as an important caravan city at the crossroads of ancient civilizations is reflected in the eclectic mix of architectural styles found among its colonnades and temples.

British historian and novelist Tom Holland describes the site as "an extraordinary fusion of classical and Iranian influences intermixed with various Arab influence as well."

Destruction of Palmyra wouldn't just be a tragedy for Syria, it would be a loss for the entire world, he adds.

"This isn't just about Middle Eastern history, these are the wellsprings of the entire global culture. Mesopotamia, Iraq, Syria, this is the wellspring of global civilization. It really couldn't be higher stakes in terms of conservation."

Rebuffed this time ISIS will return unless and until they are crushed and eliminated.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/15/middleeast/syria-palmyra-isis/index.html
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.